PDA

View Full Version : United Continental...merger

protectthehornet
28th Apr 2010, 04:08
Recent articles are putting forth he merger again...Houston is even worried about losing CAL's HQ.

Now, I understand ALPA changed their merger policy to reflect Date of hire. U see...the UAL boys want it both ways.

thoughts?

fleigle
28th Apr 2010, 14:58
PTH, In recent memory when did United managment EVER consider the pilots, or any other staff?. IMHO they have shafted them whenever possible.

Basil
28th Apr 2010, 18:11
I understand ALPA changed their merger policy to reflect Date of hire
Is that a bad thing?

I am asuming you mean the seniority list would now merge on date of joining and, for instance, a captain who achieved an early command compared with one of the merging companies could end up back in the RHS?

protectthehornet
28th Apr 2010, 18:32
fleigle: yes

basil: no/ yes

protectthehornet
28th Apr 2010, 19:28
studi

you are right of course. the reason this doesn't happen is selfishness.

oh well

atb

Denti
28th Apr 2010, 19:34
Merging lists is never easy nor really fair to all. Good examples even in germany are the merger of GWI into the KTV (eye to eye? more be happy you get in even if you do not want it), or the merger between AB and its subsidiaries which are now in the works for more than 3 years and still not solved.

28th Apr 2010, 20:03
Why always these problems with seniority mergers in the USA?

Back in the days of regulation mergers were done with consideration of the "career expectations" for the two employee groups. Northwest and Republic employees, to pick an example, had different "career expectations". In this day and age the idea leads to arguments about who is bringing more to the merger.

This is aggravated by many airlines having had hiring cycles that were out of sync, so even very similar airlines can get very messy when looking at straight date of hire integrations. America West and USAirways for example, where America West had Captains with later dates of hire than furloughed USAirways pilots.

All of which set the stage for greed to come front and center.

Huck
28th Apr 2010, 20:13
Easy, isn't it?

Astounding how nobody thought of it before....

protectthehornet
28th Apr 2010, 21:29
career expectations?

career expecations is the biggest scam foisted on the public since ''one hour martinizing''.

Basil
28th Apr 2010, 22:56
Why always these problems with seniority mergers in the USA?
. . . .
No downgradings, everyone keeps its seat. Seat changes according to the new list.
. . . .
Easy, isn't it?
Not just the USA
. . . .
OK in a fast promotion time. If things are slow then it's 'redress training' based on DoJ (before the anti seniority Gods of the Sky mention it - subject to suitability)
. . . .
It's never easy.

Most people who have flown as captain will be disappointed to go back in the RHS but remember, you have been/are a captain - straight back, wear three bars with pride (unlike a colleague who used to skulk through the terminal in a scruffy fleece ) I've been in worse situations. The interesting bit about going back from captain to FO is that it confirms all the FO stuff about some captains being OK and others being a PITA (but nevertheless competent airmen) :ok:

OK, once again this week I'll bite.
WTF is ''one hour martinizing''

sb_sfo
29th Apr 2010, 00:05
"One Hour Martinizing" is an alleged dry cleaning process. Big sign on the outside of the establishment, but try getting your clothes back the next day, let alone an hour later.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif

Airbubba
29th Apr 2010, 01:34
Most people who have flown as captain will be disappointed to go back in the RHS but remember, you have been/are a captain - straight back, wear three bars with pride (unlike a colleague who used to skulk through the terminal in a scruffy fleece )

I think all of the current US Air East pilots could have bid captain in years past, most did. Seems like US Air and FedEx have some deal where once you've been a captain you still wear four stripes as an FO (or FE at FedEx) but don't wear a captain's hat or wings. Sounds a little confusing to me.

OKFINE
29th Apr 2010, 02:36
At AC in the 90's we sometimes, actually most times had three four-stripers on the YVR/KIX run. The left seater had the lid with scrambled eggs and the others not. For most it was a case of "Je ne give a **** pas."

protectthehornet
29th Apr 2010, 02:38
One hour martinizing...this line was borrowed from KRAMER in a Seinfeld TV show episode...watch them all and when this one comes up, you will have a double laugh.

airbubba. ur correct about usair east...funny thing is after 911 and the shutdown of DCA for three weeks, things got hairy and many captains were demoted, other pilots furloughed.

of course America West hadn't yet hired some pilots during that time, yet those they hired LATER made captain.

So, the terrorists won again.

The reason a former captain could keep his four stripes was monetary. The company wouldn't pay for a new coat jacket with three stripes.

PS...the seinfeld episode is called: "The Suicide"...very funny

Cubs2jets
2nd May 2010, 23:04
AP source: Continental and United to combine - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100502/ap_on_bi_ge/us_united_continental (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100502/ap_on_bi_ge/us_united_continental)

C2j

6000PIC
2nd May 2010, 23:13
This should be exciting. The problem with being number one is that there is only one way to go as everyone wants to dethrone you . The benefit of being number one is enormous. I hope it`s a success.

Intruder
3rd May 2010, 01:18
It appears that Continental has chosen to join the race to the bottom in customer service. To now they have distinguished themselves by remaining "a cut above," but that will soon be lost.

The "legacy" carriers have nothing more to offer today than a look at history...

Huck
3rd May 2010, 01:46
Sadly, a leaky ship has taken on a load of bricks.

And dammit I enjoy flying on Continental.

Otterman
3rd May 2010, 10:03
This is far from a done deal. But it was very predictable that this attempt was going to be made.

After Continental Airlines left the Skyteam alliance for Star (because of the Delta/NWA merger) there was only one way to go. The next step will be for American Airlines to try and get US Aiways merged into them (although the synergies are tougher in that case). This would leave three large groupings in the US and Europe, all tied together in the worldwide alliances anchored by the respective mega carriers. These three worldwide alliances will control upwards of 70% of all traffic. That will only leave room for a potential fourth grouping which would tie together the low-cost carriers. This is still a few years away, but is inevitable. Only some non-aligned niche carriers will be left fighting for any crumbs.

Basil
3rd May 2010, 14:44
Will the wooly pully file an objection? :}

Hartington
3rd May 2010, 15:27
I hope their navigation systems are a bit more up to date than whoever put this together: Route Map | Let's Fly Together (http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/route-map#/United%20Kingdom/Middlesex/Hayes)

When did Middlesex get swallowed up? Sometime in the 60's? And since when was Heathrow the airport for Hayes (well yes, it is, but you know what I mean).

goldeneye
3rd May 2010, 15:29
Its been anounced today that United Airlines and Continental are to merge under the United name - they will however be operating in the current colours of Continental. The new airline is to be based in Chicago, and will become the worlds largest airline.

Full details at the merger website (http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/)

Jamesair
3rd May 2010, 16:31
I will be interested to know how this will affect the Continental UK operation, as United have tended to reduce flights to the UK recently and have only served LHR.

MUFC_fan
3rd May 2010, 16:37
UK concerning, this is a good move for the two companies. United has never really been interested in the regions yet CO are the largest outside of London of any US carrier.

Bagso
3rd May 2010, 16:54
...yes hope this doesn't mean the end for regional flights (especially Manchester)

clunckdriver
3rd May 2010, 16:59
Will they still break guitars? What will this mega outfit be called? Remember when Cunard and Air Lingus were to get together, now THAT would have been a name to get attention!

sam1993
3rd May 2010, 17:21
It seems that for now the regional flights are safe:

Q.Will the combined airline continue to fly to my city?

A. Yes. We will continue to maintain service at all communities currently served by either airline, including more than 140 small metropolitan areas and communities.
Additional information and route maps are available at www.UnitedContinentalMerger.com (http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/)

protectthehornet
3rd May 2010, 20:08
Otterman makes a good point. The next merger will be American/USAIRWAYS, or at least part of USAIRWAYS known as USAIR EAST.

the synergies are actually quite good with usair giving up slots at LGA to concentrate on DCA (new york and washington dc). USAIR really has the east coast pretty well sewn up, but american really doesn't.

American has chicago and dallas.

so, some overlap in the carribean...phoenix...hmmm which lead me to mention buying only usair east.

oh well

AndyJUK
3rd May 2010, 23:05
I hope it doesnt affect regionals - i have just got a job with continental :bored:

nodumbpilotsallowed
4th Jul 2010, 16:01
competent pilots? I assume you have not been on a united flight deck. I started with Pan Am years ago and am flying right seat and recently flew some knucklehead who is in love with himself and dumb enough to think he is important because he is in the left seat. This guy was going balistic with dispatch certain he had to be rerouted because we had to fly over a portion of lake Michigan to get back to Washington in a non-overwater airplane. How is it possible to get guys like this in commercial aviation?