PDA

View Full Version : Delta inflight 'bomb scare'

timmcat
27th Apr 2010, 21:22
ABC News

A Delta flight from Paris to Atlanta was diverted to Bangor, Maine, Tuesday after federal air marshals took into custody a suspect who claimed to have a bomb in his backpack and shoes, according to a US official briefed on the incident.

The suspect was identified by U.S. officials as an American citizen who was seated in seat 12J.

TSA officials said the suspect is now being interviewed by law enforcement agents.

One U.S. law enforcement official said that two air marshals were "sitting on the guy's chest" as the plane landed.

A Delta spokesperson confirmed the plane had been diverted because of a "disruptive passenger" who was taken into custody by air marshals.

Link (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/flight-bomb-scare-delta-flight-273-diverted-maine/story?id=10490282)

finfly1
27th Apr 2010, 23:36
This story seems to be a bit vague [perhaps deliberately so] on the specific circumstances surrounding his comments. Where was he? To whom did he make these 'alleged' comments? What was the context?

He apparently did not make them prior to boarding, and so I am unable to formulate in my own mind a set of in-flight circumstances which would elicit a statement such as "I have a fake passport" to be made either spontaneously or otherwise. As is now so often the case, I am left supposing that there is likely a good deal more to this story than we are apt to be told.

:ugh:

jcjeant
28th Apr 2010, 00:17
Hi,

Perhaps he want just go directly to Bangor ?
One know a non-stop flight Paris - Bangor ? :)

DownIn3Green
28th Apr 2010, 03:13
Channel 8 (NBC) nightly news in Tampa just reported the guy was a 26 yr old man from the "Bay Area", a former USAF SrA (E-4) who worked in "intellegence" and now works in "intellegence" as a civillian for the US Gov't.

Mr @ Spotty M
28th Apr 2010, 05:01
Does not seem very bright to me.:E

HAWK21M
28th Apr 2010, 06:28
Too bad this weirdos keep flying around delaying flights.

hetfield
28th Apr 2010, 06:31
Cowboys in force.

HeadingSouth
28th Apr 2010, 10:44
simply put: too much "intelligence" on one plane (air marhsals and guys from other "intelligence") can bring it down.

Not a good idea to call this "intelligence"...

filotnie
28th Apr 2010, 11:33
3D body scanners marketing??

Avman
28th Apr 2010, 16:58
Maybe there were more than two sky marshalls? Maybe the 2nd one didn't reveal his presence immediately? Maybe I'm being too kind, because my own experience of law enforcement officials in the USA is that most are just plain dumb and devoid of any common sense whatsoever!

pax domina
28th Apr 2010, 22:55
Was at KOBE this noon, having the proverbial $500 grilled cheese with the does-it-for-a-living other half (who had a $500 hamburger), and another professional aviator, when this appeared on the news. I believe the air marshall(s) did something like create a bunker around the guy in the rear of the aircraft. The other guy mentioned that there could likely be connections to a number of rather important controls at the real of the aircraft running through that area and added that siting him where he might have just blown out a door might have been wiser.

I also understand that there is supposed to be some sort of more blast resistant (for lack of a better term) area in commercial aircraft and that in this particular one it might have been in the back.

All of which makes me hope they give the marshalls training in more than hand to hand combat at close quarters . . .

ETA There were four marshalls in total aboard, according to reports I've read. The guy making the threats appears to have some big "issues", but if the Ambien angle to the story is correct it is in line with stuff I've read elsewhere about the very weird behaviour it causes in some people, which is why they have stopped taking it.