PDA

View Full Version : Computer slow under Windows 7

Tosh McCaber
27th Apr 2010, 16:24
I've just had Windows 7 installed on my computer by my pet guru- new 600Mb C drive, along with the three existing ones, being 2x400Mb and a 200Mb (my original C drive). Intel Core2 processor. Also existing 2 Gb RAM.

I'm getting used to Win 7. However, the computer now seems to hang slightly when I'm opening a new programme, or even when I'm opening one of the drives in Windows Explorer. It seems almost to be lacking in memory, although only just over 1Gb is being used. Otherwise, no problem with reaction time, once I'm into programmes.

Any thoughts on why it's slow now, compared with before?

BOAC
27th Apr 2010, 17:09
Which Anti-virus and what is it set to do - does it scan everything you open perhaps? You could try disconnecting from the internet and turning off the AV to see if that affects things. Kaspersky is known to cause problems.

Tosh McCaber
27th Apr 2010, 18:19
Could be - I used to have Kaspersky, which did indeed slow everything down. I now have Free AVG 9, which has a "Resident Shield", so I guess that may be a factor.

BOAC
27th Apr 2010, 18:43
I abandoned AVG at the 8.? stage as it slowed up my machine. Try turning off as I suggested and see what happens?

Liftboy
27th Apr 2010, 19:06
Try "ESET Smart Security 4" instead of AVG etc... works great under Win7

Some hacks to improve Win7 performance....

- Disable "Superfetch" and "Windows Search" via - > "Start" - type in - "msconfig" ->Tab -> Services -> Look for "Superfetch"/"Windows Search" and disable it....

- Click on "Startup" and check if you need all these items on system-startup (java-runtime, adobe reader sl, etc...)

Check your "Power Options" -> may your setting is set to "minimal" instead of "always on/max power"

Lancelot37
27th Apr 2010, 19:23
I've no problems with Kaspersky on two computers on Windows 7. (It's still a World leader)

Check to see if you're also running Microsot's built in virus checker as two anti virus programs running on a computer can bring big problems. Kaspersky has all the protection that you need. I wouldn't use any other make.

Avtrician
28th Apr 2010, 01:45
It may be that your PC, isnt quite up to the task of running W7, the CPU may be too slow. Similar to the early problems of Vista (My Daughters Vista compatible laptop runs like a two legged dog)

Bushfiva
28th Apr 2010, 02:22
The slowest core2 desktop CPU is 1.8GHz, plenty fast enough. I run Win 7 Ultimate on an Atom, no problems.

Tosh, if it's been like that since installation, I'd disconnect from the internet then disable the antivirus, to see if things improve. If they do, change the AV. Microsoft's own is lightweight and fast.

You might check the hard drive DMA mode (1 to 6, higher is better if supported), just in case, and your guru might want to check the slim chance that the controller's using PATA emulation rather than AHCI. My guess is the antivirus, though.

Jofm5
28th Apr 2010, 09:28
I'm getting used to Win 7. However, the computer now seems to hang slightly when I'm opening a new programme, or even when I'm opening one of the drives in Windows Explorer.

Have you checked your power save settings ? The default in Windows 7 is to power down disks that have not been used in a while and if this is the case there will be a noticeable lag as the drive spins up to speed before it can be accessed. I believe the default value for this is 20 minutes in high performance but will be reduced in other settings.

You can check this by typing power at the start menu, select change power save settings, adjust the plan with the advanced properties to see the value.

Also the value you quote for disk sizes in MB are you sure you dont mean GB ?

Another performance tip would be to move your swap file from your C: drive to another physical drive if you have one - you would probably want your pet guru to do this for you.

marketaero
28th Apr 2010, 21:32
It could be useful if you post a screenshot of windows services. If you right click on your taskbar (Around where the clock is) and then Task manager. Under Processes. You could reduce the column user name if you don't want to show your user name.

There is also a good tool for computers called "notebook hardware control" if you google it, it's a free install.