PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows How Many Aircrafts An A&p Licensed Maintenance Technician Can Operates?

purgatore75
27th Apr 2010, 13:38
Good morning guys,
I went trough FAR 65 and I have not found any information about the max number of aircraft that an AMT with an FAA licence can operate.....
I think that a good knowledge of more than 4 aircrafts should be asking the man something that is not possible for the human brain....
Someone can help me in find out any related info?
Apreciating all your efforts, thanks in advance....
Purgatore.

muduckace
27th Apr 2010, 15:46
Unfortunately there are no such limitations. Airlines provide programs with recurrent training for catII/catIII and engine run recurrent training. I am currently qualified on the A300-600,A310-200,A310-300 Which are counted as one even though the A310-200 is much different, the B727,B757 The MD-10, Md-11 the DC-10 (currently inactive) and soon the 777 and possibly the A330. that is 8 aircraft and possibly nine in our fleet I am responsible for being proficient on Not counting the bagged up DC-10's.

GAZIN
27th Apr 2010, 15:48
I am not sure there is a limit, but you are not expected to hold the information in your head. The FAA would take a dim view of anyone working on an aircraft system or component without the relevant manual to hand.
I am current on 6 transport types from 3 manufacturers.

NutLoose
27th Apr 2010, 17:47
Pzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt you're not even trying, there are a couple of hundred engines and airframe types on my licences :ok: Blimey you haven't even got into double figures :p

just quick check on EASA 190 types or engines, plus the ones on my CAA Licences too :eek:

Heliarctic
27th Apr 2010, 19:26
Nutloose: wow..:ooh:
Is that because you have all sorts of small GA aircraft or how does that work?
(sincere question btw)

NutLoose
27th Apr 2010, 22:56
Yep

see

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/EASA%20Part-66%20UKCAA%20Type%20Rating%20List%20%20V1%209.pdf

Now under EASA I hold group aeroplane multi eng piston metal, that gives me the singles group too, I also hold the composite and wooden, but just for the engines, also the turbine singles group but without the engines, on top of that I have the engines on some of the ones in the individual type reqd ratings and some of those aircraft too, on my CAA Licence I also have stuff like the DC 3 4 6 engines that were previously on my EASA one......

Indeed with it chopping and changing what is on my licence does not reflect what I have, and won't until it is renewed, as stuff like the DC3 is listed on my EASA licence, but it was removed from EASA and has gone back onto my Section L licence, indeed some stuff that is on my licence as restricted individual ratings have moved into the groups with the restriction removed, so I hold it under the group, but my licence also lists it and not being held, checked and was told yes you have it, and when your licence is replaced the limitation will come off as its now in the group.........

bad really as you need to consult the list to see what you actually have. They did say it would take a while to settle down which it seems to have done :)

muduckace
28th Apr 2010, 14:49
I am not going to take the time to mention all the aircraft I have been qualified to work on, the issue I see is (reguardless of the FAA ideal that every task should be done step by step by the AMM) that my proficiency in understanding how the systems of the aircraft works deminishes.

For instance I can pull up a 60 page ops check of a system, this ops check is a no brainer if you just follow the ques of todays onboard maintenance systems. If I follow the AMM I will be there for 2 hours, If I follow the same steps that the aircraft is asking for it goes alot faster keeping my trusty amm beside me for reference.

Now half way through something fails, is it a nuisance or is it a real problem? This is where I become a better tech by maintaining the above mentioned proficiency, I can find the C/B faster, I know where to look to make sure the aircraft is configured correctly and I know how to dispose of the situation efficiently to make that money call. Am I grounded, can this be deferred, what part do I most likely need.. All this comes down to the only way I can save my company money, if I can call a downed aircraft before the aircraft starts loading can save my company money if a spare is available.

I don't like being the goon standing there with that deer in the headlights look on my face when people start asking questions. The fewer types you actively work the better I know I am at my job.

Heliarctic
28th Apr 2010, 15:43
Muduckace:
I agree, with your last line.
Thanks for the reply, Nutloose

NutLoose
28th Apr 2010, 16:21
I don't like being the goon standing there with that deer in the headlights look on my face when people start asking questions. The fewer types you actively work the better I know I am at my job.

The question was how many one could have on ones licence to which I was making the point, you can have literally hundreds.

I as with a lot of the Engineers on here will have the same amount on their licences, give or take the odd one, would I work on them well the answer is simply No.
I have the DC6, DC7 etc on my CAA Licence, which I would be perfectly legally entitled to sign off, but only an idiot would go down that route not having worked on them before. The reason you get large groups is to be honest a Cessna single is a Cessna single whatever the size, the differences really between a 152 and a 172 is about a foot more metal and a couple of seats....... not strictly true, but you get my drift.

35 odd years as an Aircraft Engineer working on big stuff, helicopters, fighters, exec jets and the smaller stuff, I have hopefully long ago learn't not to walk out in front of cars at night and I'd rather buy my Venison at the local supermarket ;)