PDA

View Full Version : Harvest Hawk

StopStart
26th Apr 2010, 16:34
Some gen and photos of the Harvest Hawk (http://www.navair.navy.mil/press_releases/index.cfm?fuseaction=press_release_view&press_release_id=4310&site_id=29) system being fielded by the USMC KC130Js. Always good to see sensible solutions being fielded to operational challenges especially when one works for a "company" that hasn't had come up with a sensible solution to anything in a very long time.... :rolleyes:

Tea White Zero
26th Apr 2010, 19:24
Good spot Stoppers!!!

Gimmee, Gimmee, Gimmee, I want one!!!!:}

And whilst you are at it stick a couple of SDBs on the other side and a howitzer out the side:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

TWZ

Happiness is 70 tonnes, a HUD and a HobNob...

Squirrel 41
26th Apr 2010, 19:31
Truckies able to shoot back? Gawd 'elp us.... :E

Be careful Stoppers, the next thing they'll want is a MOAB to chuck out the back. :ok:

(Which would presumably require 47AD to become 47B Sqn.)

S41

Cows getting bigger
26th Apr 2010, 20:30
You have to admire the Americans for bolting warmongering stuff on to any old aircraft. So, any Two & Six drivers willing to swap an RB211 for a LGB or two? :)

VX275
26th Apr 2010, 20:52
I wouldn't call the J old. OK, I'll agree its a newly built late 1940s designed airframe but so was/is the Nimrod, from where incidentally they appear to have nicked the heli-tele pod and operator console from.
As for using the Herc as an attack aircraft, I wonder just how many Storm Shadow 47AD could desptach over the ramp? Enough, I'd guess to replace a couple of Tonka squadrons with just one aircraft.

Must go now and design the Hellfire / Brimstone autoloader/launcher to fill the back of a C17. Carry on like this and I'll be able to reduce the RAF to a single squadron. :E

ZH875
26th Apr 2010, 21:06
Carry on like this and I'll be able to reduce the RAF to a single squadron. :E

Don't waste your energy, the one eyed Jockanese f*ckwit is doing that all by himself.

vecvechookattack
26th Apr 2010, 21:21
Don't waste your energy, the one eyed Jockanese f*ckwit is doing that all by himself.

Its not him.....

Its him...http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KjDCsCPMpvBsvM:http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4169F8A1-57EB-4BA9-A34B-C589318C4DFB/0/20090806_ACMSirStephenDalton_600x800.jpg

Squirrel 41
26th Apr 2010, 23:49
Of course, if you had a C-5....

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/icbm/mm2-3.jpg

Not sure how much use this would be in the 'Stan, of course....

S41

glad rag
26th Apr 2010, 23:50
Bet thats gone in the morning.....

GreenKnight121
27th Apr 2010, 07:24
Of course, if you had a C-5....

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/icbm/mm2-3.jpg

Not sure how much use this would be in the 'Stan, of course....

S41

See! We don't need the Navy and its SSBNs to provide mobile ICBM launch platforms... the USAF can do that too!

:ugh:

maxburner
27th Apr 2010, 11:56
If you were to add the solid state radar that the USCG C-130s use to the mix, you'd have a great weapon system.

MATELO
27th Apr 2010, 15:00
Just need a couple of outlets to drop sonar buoys and we would have complete aircraft, no need for anything else to fly.

Gainesy
27th Apr 2010, 15:39
Stoppers, got your exchange application in yet?:)

Like the TV pod location, lateral or USMC thinkiing?

VX275
27th Apr 2010, 18:43
Matelo

The Herc has two perfectly formed sono bouy hatches already.
I've used them in the past to lob smoke floats and linked life-rafts out (I'll never complain again when the instructor inverts the MS10 during, drills having seen three inflate inverted all on their own), others on this forum might call them para doors. :ok:

Green Flash
27th Apr 2010, 20:11
Post strike why not chuck a few LM's over the tailgate and bugger up Terry T's PAR effort? He waits for the drone of turboprops to fade in the night, crawls out for a look see and suddenly it starts raining sh!t from the sky. Silently.

Gainesy
28th Apr 2010, 08:11
S'pose a naval version would have a row of little wooden hatches that swing up out of the way to let the cannons poke through...

Would being given a boarding card make you a member of a boarding party?:uhoh:

chopper2004
28th Apr 2010, 08:41
Gainsey,

Splendid idea and good for Horn of Africa fly bys :) :ok:

Better still how about making Pirates of the Carribean III, the Horn of Africa Adventure :ok:starring the swash buckling Harvest Hawk :cool:

MATELO
28th Apr 2010, 10:16
VX275

The Herc has two perfectly formed sono bouy hatches already.

He-He, I didnt know where you were going with that one at first. I was thinking to myself "No! it bloody hasn't":)

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th Apr 2010, 11:15
VX275

He-He, I didnt know where you were going with that one at first. I was thinking to myself "No! it bloody hasn't":)

An even bigger one opens up quite nicely just aft of both para doors as well, stuff much much bigger that a sonar bouy can be dropped off there :ok:

bobward
28th Apr 2010, 12:03
Does anyone else remember the 15,000 lb dustbin-like bombs they used to drop out of the blunt ends of C130's? The original cunning plan was to use them to make instant heli landing circles during the Vietnam war, later used in Desert Storm 1 to upset the Republican Guard.

However, there's nowt new under the sun. What about those even bigger things they used to drop out of Lancasters? 22,000 lbs if I recall.

Now that is a really big persuader.....

27mm
28th Apr 2010, 12:16
The 15000lb LZ clearing bombs were, IIRC, known by the euphemism "Daisy cutters". There's also a 30000lb bomb under development, by the name of MOAB (Massive Ordnance something or other), to be carried by the B2, I believe.

highveldtdrifter
28th Apr 2010, 17:19
Bobward,

I was at a forwrd LZ in N Saudi (Qazuma??) during GW1 when the US dropped the (rumoured) last 2 Daisy Cuters from a C130 north of the border. They were miles away but the shock wave was still impressive. Apparently the Iraqis thought they had been nuked.

Tourist
28th Apr 2010, 19:59
This one, perchance?
YouTube - MOAB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7tG7keSe-0)

Royalistflyer
29th Apr 2010, 06:48
One of our students went out to the gong getters gig (Vietnam) and got involved driving Caribous and the experiments rolling barrels of napalm out the back ...... he was such an innocent looking boy too. His description when he came back, of the technique was interesting.

MATELO
29th Apr 2010, 11:55
MOAB - Massive Ordnace Air Blast Bomb.

christened as Mother Of All Bombs

GBU-43/B / "Mother Of All Bombs" / Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/moab.htm)

recce_FAC
2nd Jul 2012, 13:42
Sorry to drag up this old thread however this bit of kit(and it's crew) are awesome, much to the frustration of other type air crew. Surely it's a very cheap option for the RAF. The KC-130J (HH) is very popular with FAC's/JTAC's many of the USMC crewing it have completed a tour or two as an ALO/FAC on a ground. This makes the whole process a lot simpler.

Finnpog
2nd Jul 2012, 20:57
It seems like a hell of a good idea, particularly with the possible loitering time over an area.

The Marines do think outside the box don't they?

I wonder if anyone is going on exchange...