PDA

View Full Version : Business class EU-US - Which airline?

CaptainProp
26th Apr 2010, 09:10
I would be interested in getting your thoughts on which airline you prefer to use when flying from Europe to US, and why you use the one you do? Need to make regular trips and now I am trying to find out which airline to go for...

Thanks.

CP

radeng
26th Apr 2010, 11:02
I'd choose BA over American anytime. Haven't tried Delta for many years, but they weren't outstanding. I expect that like most US aitlines, they've gone down proportionately more than BA.

I'll find out what BA Club World is like these days in a couple of weeks, when I go to the US.

somewhereat1l
26th Apr 2010, 11:18
I love Virgin Atlantic :ok:

silverelise
26th Apr 2010, 11:31
Virgin Atlantic - no brainer for me. Nice man comes to my house in Northampton and picks me up. I sit and read the paper for an hour, arrive at Heathrow, my case vanishes a nice lady knows my name when the car door opens, checks me in, I walk through a private security channel with no queue, get in to the lounge for a couple of hours work with a few drinkies and a bite to eat, on to the plane few more drinkies lots of smiles nice flat bed good IFE, jobs a goodun.

Ancient Observer
26th Apr 2010, 13:20
I used to dismiss the USA based carriers as their CC used to make it clear that passengers/customers were a real pain.
However, she who must be obeyed had to go to Tx last year, and had a greatreturn flight with Continental.
Maybe things are looking up for Continental?

raffele
26th Apr 2010, 14:14
You've said Europe rather than UK specifically. This in mind, have you considered OpenSkies? They fly Paris-New York and Paris-Washington DC (from May) and are reportedly very good. Website is www.flyopenskies.com - bookable through BA.com

Also sticking with BA, there's the Club World London City service from London City Airport (funnily enough) to JFK which again is reported to be very good.

jethrobee
26th Apr 2010, 14:19
I am in the USA right now, and have been a BA long haul customers for many years, using them over any other. With all the strike nonsense going on, I have started using other carriers, this time Virgin and to be honest the overall experience is in my opinion better.

I would avoid Delta like the plague having had a cockroach on one of their flights and a CC who told me "well you sure squished that!!!!"

For me either BA (once the industrial action is sorted) or Virgin. My personal issue now is whether to go back to BA, my next 4 long haul flights (3 USA 1 Australia have all been booked with other carriers).

Der absolute Hammer
26th Apr 2010, 15:05
For seven hours out and six on the way back? Who minds too much.
Just flew Delta AMS/EWR/AMS becasue they are KLM partners. Flight was fine, business like and no particular frills, ticket price was competitive and the flight crew were slick and informative. We landed at EWR that Saturday last month when a mini hurricane hit the east coast. Skipper told us exactly what was going on downstairs, exactly what he was going to do and so no one even blinked an eye. Cabin crew prepared the cabin well in advance, as it should be, but I have seen worse operations airborne with better thought of airlines. Thought that was pretty good show-no heroics-just do the job. One round trip does not make a bible but I am a temporary convert at least. As for cockroaches, clean things anyway but.....which airport did it board at?

radeng
26th Apr 2010, 15:25
Hammer,

if the cockroach hadn't originally boarded in the US, would it have got in without filling in the ESTA first?

SeenItAll
26th Apr 2010, 17:45
My experience in transatlantic C class includes flights on CO, AF, KL, NW/DL, SK and LH. Some have been good, some have been so-so. And you can't seem to predict in advance which ones will be which. Therefore, I just go with the most economical choice -- which can amount to quite a bit of savings as I have seen RT fares ranging from USD 2200 to 7000.

ExXB
26th Apr 2010, 18:29
would be my recommendation. It is invariably KLM and following a very unpleasant experience a few years ago on an ancient 'combi' B747. Surely crew, terribly uncomfortable seat, having to have main-deck cargo offloaded before they would open the doors, etc I avoid them like the plague.

I also avoid BA, despite them having the best seats. Their OTP is pretty bad (in my experience), T5 is a pain and connecting to any other Terminal is even worse, and their treatment of premium passengers is bad. They really don't give a :mad: about their best paying customers. Their service is inconsistent at the best of times, which is not now. (Avoid LHR-IAD flights unless you are a masochist.)

You don't say where in Europe, but I would pick the European national carrier who likely will fly non-stop; followed by CO, if they also fly non-stop; followed by any European Star carrier's connecting service; followed by AF's connecting service.

radeng
26th Apr 2010, 18:46
The KLM/Northwest connection through Schipol has an unenviable reputation for not transferring bags. So does anything through CDG involving airlines other than Air France/KLM to Air France/KLM

ExXB
26th Apr 2010, 18:55
KLM also has a bad reputation when things go pear-shaped, particularly for on-line connections.

I've heard that KL will not 'take care' of their on-line connecting passengers when misconnections happen. They refuse to cover the cost of an overnight. Apparently if it's an interline connection at SPL they follow the IATA rules, but on-line; forget it.

jethrobee
26th Apr 2010, 19:16
The cockroach was coming out of the USA, from Atlanta to London.

I certainly didn't partake of any further food on that flight, and to be fair it was long time ago... nearly 10 years.......

SeenItAll
26th Apr 2010, 19:32
I just checked IAD-LHR-IAD flights for May 17-21. C fares are as follows.

Nonstop: $6252 CO and UA; $6352 BA; $6608 BMI; and $8564 Virgin. (Can flying Richard be worth this premium?)
One-stop: $5869 AC

An even curiouser variety for LHR-IAD-LHR the same days:
Nonstop: $7343 UA and CO; $7419 BMI; $7495 Virgin; $7653 BA
One-stop: Starts at $2784 on SAS, $3840 USAir; $3886 DL; $4517 KLM; $5427 AF. Immense premium for non-stop.

I could go on. The moral is: fares can vary immensely. Unless you are very sure that one flight is going to be superior to another, you might as well keep as much money as you think reasonable in your pocket.

CaptainProp
28th Apr 2010, 21:29
Thanks to all for your comments! Good reading! :ok:

I wrote "Europe" since I live in a city with few direct connections to the US, so I need to fly via LHR/AMS/FRA/CDG etc anyway.....

Thanks again!

CP

Avman
29th Apr 2010, 12:25
Anyone tried Business Class with Jet Airways (of India) from Brussels to JFK, EWR or YYZ? Don't know if their fares are competitive, but they apparently have a very good product. Personally, I'm a KLM user (more by default than choice). They are pretty average but OK. My bags have been delayed by a day or two where tight connections were made at SPL (always on the return leg luckily). Have had no horror experiences with them so far (touch wood). I would NEVER connect through London.

radeng
29th Apr 2010, 14:39
Avman,

The few times I've connected through London with BA, it's all gone very well. Connecting from AA to BA was more of a problem becasue the incoming flight was late, but BA soreted it out - and the baggage.

silverware
29th Apr 2010, 16:03
I would recommend the KLM-flights from SPL.
KLM's C-class is pretty good to very good, prices competative, frequency of flights to the USA is very high, especially with partners included.
Cabins are all fairly new and have good IFE.

It surely beats the hassle of changing terminals at LHR where i have seen many suitcases disappear during transfers.....
SPL is a good place to stay if necessary, lounges are comfortable and no inbetween terminal travels needed.
I have flown C-class (medium- and long haul) on alot of different (European) airlines but feel KLM does offer best value for money and (most) crews are very friendly and efficient.

bmi goldenboy
29th Apr 2010, 20:52
I fly to/from the US 2-3 times a year and the coice of airline is, for me, dependant on the departure airport.

West coast US, first choice every time is NZ, no hesitation, unbeatable.

I will then look at AC as a transit point as their C is also flatbed, service is good and you can use the arrivals lounge for a shower if your final arrival point is LHR.

Next choice is LX only if I can get their new 333 service in J or any aircraft in F. 333 service limited to east coast and sometimes ORD.

Next choice in new UA C in their 763, limited to some LHR- IAD and ORD and one SFO-LHR 772 is now converted.

My views are completely biased towards flat bed as opposed to angled flat which is why I do not advocate LH, US, OS or CO. At the end of the day its very much down to your preferences.

MPN11
30th Apr 2010, 10:10
I also avoid BA, despite them having the best seats. Their OTP is pretty bad (in my experience), T5 is a pain and connecting to any other Terminal is even worse, and their treatment of premium passengers is bad. They really don't give a about their best paying customers. Their service is inconsistent at the best of times, which is not now. (Avoid LHR-IAD flights unless you are a masochist.)

I'd be interested to hear more about your comment highlighted above. In my case, LHR-IAD is necessary, and it is virtually the only LH route I fly, so I have no other points of reference.

I've never been impressed with the BA service in J on that sector [although I do like the seat], but for baggage allowance reasons I have very little choice.

Final 3 Greens
30th Apr 2010, 10:33
Missing bag

Having just taken a C/J connection with Air Malta and BA, twixt T4 and T5, I am now sitting in RUH sans bags, due to 'not loaded at LHR.'

Wouldn't mind, but the scheduled connection at LHR was 2 hours 40 and Air Malta arrived early.

However, the BA service was professional (I didn't warm to the crew in the J cabin, but they were polite and efficient, just somewhat remote) and it is a shame that the ground performance at LHR (whoever was at fault) lets them down.