PDA

View Full Version : Airfields and Aero Clubs near Brasilia, Brazil?

AdamFrisch
25th Apr 2010, 22:00
Can anyone help me find airports and/or aero clubs in Brasilia, Brazil?

Here's the deal. I'm in Brasilia for work a couple of days and would like to fly at a local aero club. I have a Swedish JAA PPL. Despite being a savvy internet user, I'm having real trouble getting any results. Here's my problem:

Googling Aero Club and Brasilia comes up with one single entry. They don't answer their phones and it seems unclear if they're actually in Brasilia.

So tried going through the backdoor by first finding the local airfield and working my way back from there. Google is useless in these regards - it only returns the big international airport, BSB. That's no use as I could tell there was no GA on that airfield when we landed.

Next approach was trying to get to some sort of umbrella organization for clubs in Brazil, but the only entry seem to have ceased to exist and the number is discontinued.

I know there must be other smaller fields around Brasilia, as the country is GA crazy, but I can't find any kind of directory or even a map showing airfields. ICAO airfield codes I can find a dime a dozen, but what use is that to me - I have to be able locate it geographically. Is there a resource online anywhere that shows geographically where airports are in the world - like an overview or that can recommend an aero club in or around Brasilia?

Thanks.

PS. Even talked to the captain of the Gol 737 that flew me in after we landed and he said there were local airfields but that he couldn't name them as his head had "gone blank".

AEST
26th Apr 2010, 01:35
SBBR does have a section for GA away from the main commercial terminal, however no Aeroclub there, but if you drop in on Terminal 1 (GA terminal) of on some of the FBOs on the other side you may find something. Expensive, especially if you fly anything registered outside Brazil (they charge 5X normal price)

SIQE (Sao Sebastian - 15 56 17S 47 43 41W) Operate an LSA (Afraid I don't have the number, you might just stop by)

Pista Nelson Piquet (15 51 16S 47 48 34W) Nice OneWay grass field.

Pista Autodromo (15 46 15S 47 54 13W) Short field

SWUZ (16 15 44S 47 58 07W) Home to Aeroclube de Brasilia +55 (61) 3621.1318, Aeroclube de Brasília (http://www.aeroclubedebrasilia.org.br/site/) Ironically it is outside the "Distrito Federal"

Most fields close at sunset. Strongly advice you stay away from Staterun Infraero fields (Largest commercial fields)

Any more info required please feel free to contact me.

goleiro71
27th Apr 2010, 23:29
You might want to try Luziania. Where the aeroclube de brasilia has its operational base. Is a +-1h drive from Brasilia and it is a important flying club and glider club. Try their site in the net: www.aeroclubedebrasilia.org.br (http://www.aeroclubedebrasilia.org.br)
In Brasilia itself there is no such a Club as the International airport doesn´t allow training flights as far as I know. If you really don't want to drive maybe they can get you at the general aviation area at the International airport but that will probably be expensive!
Nice flights! The region is really good for gliding! :ok:

TOFFAIR
28th Apr 2010, 18:18
flying on a foreign PPL in Brazil is complicated, you have to undergo a medical (CCF) which is done mostly in military airforce hospitals or so, then apply for a restricted permit so you can fly, i think for 90 days or so. GA in Brazil sucks, no rentals like US or Europe, Aeroclub aircraft usually only available for training and not always in best conditions, and its expensive!! If you re lucky, find some private owner, who invites you to come along, or try to get contact to local UL scene. staying away from big airports and crowded airspace as advesed before is really for your best, especially if you re not proficient in portuguese and on your own.
regards

AEST
28th Apr 2010, 23:06
TOFFAIR,

Flew a lot of IFR around Brazil last year. Happy to say that English levels are now "resonable".

Smaller fields may be a bit more problematic though

TOFFAIR
19th May 2010, 16:19
Its getting better for sure, now even FAB is using English a lot, but frequently, especially when they are quite busy, I start English and they answer me in Portuguese, this flying IFR even in SP area with lots of intl traffic!
I think if the airlines start pushing their pilots to use English with ATC the whole will improve, the problem is many airlines are facing lack of sufficient English skills of their pilots even to send them abroad...

best regards!