PDA

View Full Version : HIGH INTERNAL EYE PRESSURE

MAXYCHAT
29th Mar 2002, 23:52
Just been diagnosed with high internal eye pressure. Doc has prescribed Timolol (Beta Blocker) to reduce pressure to normal level. There is no peripheral field damage, but would perhaps develop if unchecked.Apart from this, everything else is normal. Anyone know what the CAA policy is on this on. ie is it okay to fly with betablocker drops etc.. .Not much in archive on this one. Many thanks.

CRUGERA
1st Apr 2002, 15:35
I take Timolol and Xalantal, have scary high pressures, no fields reduction and no observable damage. I have been completely up front with the CAA and hold a JAR 2 medical. But I do have to get a letter from my eye consultant every time I renew my medical.

skianyn vannin
1st Apr 2002, 16:13
I also have the same problem and take cosopt and xalatan eyedrops. No field loss.

I have an eye pressure check every 6 months and field test every year which is sent to the CAA. I hold a class 1 and currently fly for an airline.

Good luck and hope it all works out.

MAXYCHAT
1st Apr 2002, 16:22
Thanks alot for the replies guys, a few sleepless nights recently !!!
Best wishes.

Blindside
4th Apr 2002, 16:35
What were your pressures? Do you know what they were at your last eye exam? Have they changed or are your high pressures normal for you? Usually, measurements over 21 mmHg are viewed as high.

High intraocular pressure can be normal in some people (ocular hypertension) or can be a symptom of glaucoma.

The potential problem with abnormally high intraocular pressure is that it can damage a structure at the back of the called the Retinal Nerve Fibre Layer and your optic nerve. Damage to the Retinal Nerve Fibre Layer, due to increased IOP, can occur up to 5 years before a visual field defect manifests. You can lose up 30-50% of nerve fibres before it affects vision.

Regards

CRUGERA
4th Apr 2002, 18:07
So when the chemicals no longer control the high pressure, (or loss of fields is apparent) there are two possible treatments.
1. small holes "drilled" by laser to drop the pressure, which will be effective for 6 to 18 months, but can be repeated.
2. trabuculectomy (spelling may be off), a leaky flap in the eye.

Anyone know at which point the CAA will call it a day for you?

Blindside
4th Apr 2002, 20:38
Link to visual requirements:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=538

Mentions normal visual field amongst other requirements. So, if your visual field is abnormal then it sounds like it would rule you out. But, if your visual field is compromised then you may have bigger worries than being able to fly. Once you lose a portion of your sight due to glaucoma, you do not get it back. However, let's not forget that you may not have glaucoma.

You probably want to get touch with the CAA to clarify matters.

Best regards

L337
7th Oct 2003, 05:01
To add to the thread, and the bank of information.

I was diagnosed as having Ocular Hypertension about six months ago. Fair to say that I was terrified that I was going blind. However despite all my fears and paranoia it would appear things are not as bad as I first feared.

My eye pressures were 29 on the left and 30 on the right. With 16 being the norm.

I have been taking Xalatan for the last three months and the pressures have dropped to 20, and 21. The consultant said that 21 was the target reduction. So a huge bundle of relief.

The CAA have been informed every step of the way. To date they have made no demands on me or my medical, other than to ask to see the latest consultant report, and to be kept fully informed.

The CAA seem very relaxed about the condition. Relaxed as long as the pressures reduce, and stay reduced to a sensible figure.

For me Xalatan seems to have worked.

Fingers crossed.

L337

Hobo
14th Oct 2003, 03:26
Bit more Info: After a routine eye test at the local Optometrist the puff test gave my pressures at 26/26. The Optom advised me to see my doc and he referred me to an Opthamologist. He tested my eye preesures with the "blue light test" which presses against the eye to measure the pressure and is considered much more accurate than the puff test. (And gave the pressures as 21/21) He also measured the thickness of my corneas. If they are thicker than normal then they are stiffer than normal and the pressure test will overread (and Vice versa for thinner than normal corneas.). Apparently the rule of thumb is that for every 50um > or< than 560um the thickness of the cornea is then the indicated pressures are reduced/increased by 2.5mmHg. (Bit like IAS/TAS) (This brought my actual pressures down to about 18/18)