PDA

View Full Version : Is pilot security screening effective?

nanourrutia
26th Mar 2002, 21:16
And if not, which I don't think so, what could be done to improve it.. .I think most of us agree that the EgyptAir flight proves that nailcutters are not required to crash.. .How about psyche testing for airline pilots?. . . . <small>[ 26 March 2002, 17:39: Message edited by: 763 ]</small>

Rabbit
26th Mar 2002, 21:47
Unfortunately this is where I believe security has got it all wrong. The problem is not with the real aircrew, its with the fake aircrew. Aircrew don't need to take weapons on board the Companies provide them by law. No one can prevent the Egypt Air type accident, it's happened before and most likely will happen again.. .Re psyche testing, most real airlines already have this.. .What can be done, well thats a $64million question and better minds than ours have pondered over it. However, if I can throw my 2pence worth in; First penny: properly qualified and realistic security people with the appropriate tools would be a good start. The European (Heathrow in particular) is a good example, the new US system has gone over the top. Second penny: hidden surveylance cameras particularly in the checkin and boarding gate areas with qualified people the monitor pax behaviour. As I understand it, qualified monitors should be able to pick out possible threats for closer scrutiny.. .. .Have a nice day

nanourrutia
26th Mar 2002, 22:42
I was actually thinking about FAA sponsored psyche testing on a voluntary basis for pilots that wish to add extra proof of their unlikelihood of committing undesirable acts. With, let's say, some sort of certificate of sanity.

Tripower455
26th Mar 2002, 23:19
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> I was actually thinking about FAA sponsored psyche testing on a voluntary basis for pilots that wish to add extra proof of their unlikelihood of committing undesirable acts. With, let's say, some sort of certificate of sanity.. . </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I'm not crazy and I have a letter to prove it!. .. .How about some real ID cards instead?

Roadtrip
27th Mar 2002, 02:39
ALPA started asking for univeral ID cards back in 1989. Action to date by the DOT and FAA. NADA, NIENTE, YOK. Rather concentrate on visible, but ineffective methods of security. Draw your own conclusions.

gas_man
31st Mar 2002, 20:47
do you really want more medical tests ?!