PDA

View Full Version : flying with diabetes

islandhopper
25th Mar 2002, 01:36
Hi can anyone give me some information on whether or not you can fly with diabetes-if so what restrictions (if any)are applied and also what differences are there again if any to your annual medical requirements. Thanx.. .(just want to check in case the worst happens)

DX Wombat
25th Mar 2002, 04:41
I think you will find your answer in a thread on the same subject started a couple of months back. From what I remember from it Type 1 Diabetes is a contraindication, but I could be wrong.

JB007
25th Mar 2002, 10:11
Hello!. .This subject has been posted many many times so its worth having a search.. .. .Basically if you are able to control diabetes with diet/tablets you will still hang onto a class 1 but if you are insulin dependant, sadly a big no no as far as the CAA medical branch is concerned and you will lose your licence.

willoman
25th Mar 2002, 11:52
JB007 is correct. One further point to note is that forever more you will have to do an active ECG every year at a suitable CAA medical centre. This will be in addition to all other medical requirements. I know - I've been there!!

islandhopper
26th Mar 2002, 02:15
Thanks for the info guys

Unwell_Raptor
26th Mar 2002, 03:07
Diabetes?. .. .Where are they based?. .. .any jobs going?

Northern Chique
26th Mar 2002, 12:00
With the ever increasing inroads and research being done into this disease, hopefully it wont be a factor in witholding licences for many more years... but Ive seen the results even low blood sugar in a healthy individual can produce and the stats on human efficiency at low blood sugar levels are alarming. . .. .Type one diabetes has so many other implications and results on the body as a whole, including cardiac and kidney efficiency, eyesight and other body functions.. .. .Type two is more subtle and many people do not know they have it. . .. .Todays lifestyle is taking its suble toll in fast, high sugar, high saturated fat diets. The aboriginal culture in Northern Australia being a classicly devistating example.. .. .Look after yourself young and you stand a better chance of maturing healthy, leading a full life and enjoying your family and friends for much longer.