PDA

View Full Version : Qantas link

AvionicsGuy
24th Apr 2010, 07:27
Hi everyone can people please give me the run down on qantas link, pros and cons.

i live 1 hour out of sydney but to get in at mascot i hear experience in tamworth or canberra is best.

I am an avionics AME just out of my apprenticeship, with all my Q's finished.

what are the pros and cons of mascot, canberra and tamworth. wages... hours of work ect. (i hear canberra is permeant night shift).

also how long is the road to obtaining a licence, many ex qantas employees tell me its just get inline and wait till you are told, others have said if you a keen with lots of SOE its just a matter of showing some initiative and will be only a short time.

VRBNE
24th Apr 2010, 13:05
Hi Mate I am probably just about to take the Avionics Line position in Canberra after a stint in Asia Canberra is Line and Perm Nightshift.My advice to you is get in where you can at the moment probably a year away from the industry getting back to normal i have 25 years in Aviation and this is one of few jobs i have been offered by all accounts i have only heard good things about working for Qantaslink. but i suppose i will find out if i join. best of luck in your up and coming Career.We need more young guys to take over and you cant be too bad if your Avionics:ok:

AvionicsGuy
24th Apr 2010, 22:46
so permanent night shift, 8:00pm to when? and im guessing you get a loading on that too? do you get any benefits from it?

Kiwiconehead
25th Apr 2010, 04:42
Good luck on the Canberra base, nice to see Gilligan has finally conned some people into going there.

Perm nightshift sounds like the roster is even worse than when I took redundancy rather than move there.

VRBNE
26th Apr 2010, 01:58
Hi Kiwiconehead,
Please can you let me know what the problems are with going to Qantaslink in Canberra, apart from the climate,If i take the job i am taking the Line job not perm night shift i would never do that again after doing about 3 months of it doing my soe for my 737 during my QF days.It would be good if you could tell me any problems with Stuart and the management there and why it has been so hard to get anyone to go to Canberra.I have about 3 jobs to choose from this one included and i want to make the right decision and one thing i don't like is the bond of 12K and stuck for 3 years to get the Q400 anything you can tell me i would be most grateful as i am meant to give an answer to him by tomorrow

VRBNE
26th Apr 2010, 02:03
Avionicsguy cant tell you what the hours for perm nightshift are as i wont be doing them, my advice to you is give it a shot you have a long way to go get your experience up then get out of perm nightshift it is no good for your body or your family if your married or have a girlfriend you wont have for very long if you stay on Perm NS

AvionicsGuy
26th Apr 2010, 07:02
yeah id do night shift for as long as it took me to get the SOE for a Q400 licence, but if i got another shift id take that,

just on the by, ive been looking at qantas carrers for a while now, they never seam to advertise there for any real jobs, is it best to submit and application anyways?

VRBNE
26th Apr 2010, 23:20
If its your first license it will take you about a 1000+ hours of Soe to get it thats how long it took when i got my 747 license many years ago so better get used to lots of nightshifts not sure if it will be any less for the Turbo props as i have never worked on them.Anyway theres still 1 line job available as i have decided not to join QFL i am off to Perth and several other places to play with A330s, A380s , NGs and 777s all the best to you in your Career

rmm
27th Apr 2010, 02:16
just on the by, ive been looking at qantas carrers for a while now, they never seam to advertise there for any real jobs, is it best to submit and application anyways?

There were looking for LAME's in Melbourne a few weeks back. There's a thread here about it. Talking to a friend there they had to extend the offer to AME's as few LAME's applied.

http://www.pprune.org/engineers-technicians/404304-qf-l-m-e-jobs.html

AvionicsGuy
27th Apr 2010, 09:47
where would i hear rumours of jobs on the line at mascot?

dash8 LAME
12th May 2010, 06:35
I don't know of any vacancies at Qantaslink Mascot at present.
Canberra nightshift will be up and running shortly, and shouldn't be too difficult. All staff will be doing a Q400 course and PCT. In return they will be bonded by a return of service. This is now the case for all Qantaslink Engineering staff. The job itself doesn't sound too bad. Housing in Canberra is as expensive as in Sydney.
Hope that helps.

AvionicsGuy
12th May 2010, 09:47
whats the service limit, 12-24months?

sounds like a fair deal if you get a course straight up... whats the prospect of getting licensed?

is the return of service limited to the one port, or cause you move to another Qlink port?

IE start at Canberra but move to mascot if a vacancy shows up.

FYI do you know the night shift hours?