PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Deprivation

shon7
20th Mar 2002, 21:02
As a child I would think pilots would never be short of sleep or sleep deprived - what else do they do on layovers? Anyway, that theory has been undermined.. .. . With erratic schedules and international flying, how does one control stress and get a regular night of sleep, so as so not hinder performance? Any comments?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Mar 2002, 21:23
I don't (officially) know how pilots cope but as an air traffic controller who has just finished nights after 35 years I can tell you they bl**dy shattered me every time. OK, I didn't have to work them too often and my sleep pattern wasn't anywhere so disturbed as that of a long-haul pilot but I still found myself shattered for several days after.. Some people can cope; others can't. I don't think there's a solution for those of us who live lives of misery after sleep disturbance.

Gorgophone
23rd Mar 2002, 17:32
shon7 . .. .When you were a child your parents made sure that you had good nutrition, good exercise and a balance of activities to keep you good and healthy. Now that you’re an adult that task is exactly the same - a balance of diet, exercise and work-life balance. Only now that is your responsibility.. .. .Heathrow Director is right, some people can cope; others can’t. The trick is seeing when your own reaction changes from 'can cope' to 'cannot cope', and taking avoiding action. If this fails, then you have to ask whether too much is being asked of you. Then we get political!

safety_worker
1st Apr 2002, 16:43
I've compiled some stuff that some pilots and shift workers have used and found it helps......then again some (fewer) have not, for reasons unknown.:p
send me an email and i'll send you the word document.