PDA

View Full Version : USB problem

Tone
23rd Apr 2010, 12:13
Can anyone shed light onto this odd USB problem. I have a Satmap GPS which was talking to my desktop using their Satsync software. Suddenly it has stopped communicating. If I plug the GPS into the desktop it shows up in Explorer as drive G: If I click on drive G it says ‘Please insert a disc into drive G:’ The Satsync software can’t see it either, it just sits there waiting for some input. Unplug the GPS and the ‘drive G:’ icon disappears as expected. Plugging in and unplugging also triggers the device connect and device disconnect sounds.
Plug the same GPS into a laptop using the same cable and all is well. All other USB devices on the desktop work normally. Much head scratching going on here. Any clues?

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2010, 14:50
If you use Device Manager does that "see" the GPS device?

BOAC
23rd Apr 2010, 14:55
Can you/(have you) reinstall the software? Tried other USB slots?

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2010, 15:12
When you unplug it do you do it safely or do you just haul the cable out?

Tone
23rd Apr 2010, 15:55
Thganks for the replies.
(1) Device Manager sees the GPS unit as a USB Mass Storage Device
(2) Tried 2 other USB ports - same symptoms

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2010, 16:02
Then, as mentioned before, reinstall the drivers/software.

Tone
23rd Apr 2010, 16:18
Sorry forgot to mention, re-installing the software was the first thing I tried, do it 3 times now. Message sent to Satmap asking for help. Stunning silence from them. It was working fine before the volcano caused chaos.

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2010, 16:54
The fact that your device works on your laptop but not on your desktop is highly indicative of a problem with your desktop. What version of Windows are you running on each of these systems ie, your laptop and desktop?

Tone
23rd Apr 2010, 17:02
XP Pro on both

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2010, 17:23
What does System Information see, if anything?

Start Menu> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Information

Tone
23rd Apr 2010, 17:41
Under components when the GPS is plugged in it lists it as a mass storage device. The laptop also reports it as a mass storage device.

rgbrock1
23rd Apr 2010, 18:01
Interesting. So the Desktop operating system sees the device just as the laptop OS does.

Prior to the commencement of hostilities or, problems, when you clicked on the GPS device (drive letter G:?) in Windows Exploder on the desktop, what appeared? The reason I ask is because in a previous post you wrote that when you double-clicked on the G: drive it asked to insert media. What did it do prior to the issue?

Have you tried a different cable? (Just for sh**s and grins!)

Bushfiva
24th Apr 2010, 01:25
Are you using a guest account on your problem machine? If so, what happens if you run as Admin?

Tone
24th Apr 2010, 09:26
SoCal App - I don't understand how to do that because the GPS does not show up in Device Manager when it is unplugged.

Bushfiva - Same result when in both Admin and limited account. Interestingly the laptop only has an Admin account - so this is a difference beween the two machines. I probably need to wait for some response from Satmap.