PDA

View Full Version : Confued about flying N plates in the UK of JAR licence and US validation

Winston
23rd Apr 2010, 09:24
Hi.

I am a bit confused about what I can do on an N plate in the UK with a US validation of my PPL or a full US ATPL??

I have a UK ATPL and would like to be able to fly N plates in return for payment.

Can I do anything on a US validated PPL ie ferry flights or would I need to convert my ATPL to do that?

I know I'm being lazy as I could do a search but can anyone supply a link to the process of getting a US PPL and ATPL on the back of my JAR one?

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Ta

keithskye
24th Apr 2010, 21:58
I'll let you borrow my FAA ATPL if you'll let me borrow your JAR ATPL!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :E

Actually, you would need only to take the FAA ATPL written exam (just one, and it's quite easy to pass, and inexpensive as well, compared to what one must do and pay for the 14 exams required in the UK), then you would need to take an ATPL checkride (PC) in the aircraft or sim for the type you are hoping to fly (the expensive part). This would give you an unrestricted FAA ATPL with a type rating in the aircraft you are planning to fly. If already have the job lined up, and are being sent to Flight Safety for training and a type check, then the only thing you will have to have in hand is the written exam results.

~ Keith

NuName
25th Apr 2010, 05:45
I see that you asked pretty much the same question 3 years ago. What keithskye has said is absolutely on the money, surely you have to do recurrent for what you fly now, just get your FAA ATPL written's done and then do the ride with a examiner that can sign you off for the CAA/FAA. Interesting description "N plate" not heard that one before. With a FAA PPL you can fly anything on your certificate with a FCC radio licence (outside the US) non public transport and no reward. Its that simple.

Winston
25th Apr 2010, 09:46
Thanks for the info guys. Nuname, I must be going mad as I don't remember asking the question before!! Maybe I should have spent a bit more time searching :O but I have some leave coming up and I was offered a really nice ferry job so time is of the escence!

Can I do the US exams in the UK or do I have to go to the US??

Thanks guys

NuName
25th Apr 2010, 10:58
It used to be possible to do the written's here in the UK, I don't know if this is still the case. Do not forget that all non US citizens require TSA clearance before doing any flight training for a US qualification, this can take 2-3 weeks.

SlowAndSilly
25th Apr 2010, 11:03
Hi!
Depending on where and for whom you'll be flying. Maybe FAR AIM 61.77 could suit you?

regards

youngskywalker
25th Apr 2010, 17:58
Last time I checked you could sit the exam at FlightSafety EGLF. There was a place at Humberside too but not sure if they still do the FAA writtens.

FightSafety at Paris is also an option.