PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic ash

BOAC
23rd Apr 2010, 08:31
Does anyone know of any assessment of the health risk of breathing in the fine ash over a prolonged period?

One Outsider
23rd Apr 2010, 08:53
The USGS (http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/health/index.html) have a bit on the subject.

BOAC
23rd Apr 2010, 10:56
Thanks, O O - good background stuff there and it would appear not to be a problem short term. The article as you know deals with 'heavy ash' falls, but we should be aware of the possible effect for those with respiratory conditions, and if we are in for long-term eruptions and ash over the UK................................

gingernut
24th Apr 2010, 00:18
The Met Office and the Department of Health have been doing some partnership stuff around winter meteriological conditions and exascerbations of COPD, but not heard of anything about the volcanic ash and health effects-yet

I suspect low level inversion layers could kick things off in the UK. Anecdotally, low hazy stuff in the UK seems to equate with lots of people asking for blue inhalers. Haven't worked the science out yet :)

Long term? Probably equates to 1 week's of Manchester 1910 smog.

AnthonyGA
24th Apr 2010, 02:00
A brief, interesting article on the effects of volcanic ash on a person who has breathed it intermittently all of his life (since he lives near an active volcano):

Volcanic ash can severely damage your lungs - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/volcanic-ash-can-severely-damage-your-lungs/article1542467/)

I suppose this would be an extreme case, but you'd still expect to see effects of shorter exposures if the product of time and ash concentration were large enough. I doubt that airline crews would ever accumulate enough exposure over time to show any permanent effects—if they were breathing in that much ash, they'd be more likely to die from a crash due to flying through ash than from lung disease due to breathing it.

Volcanologists seem to survive multiple heavy exposures to ash, but I haven't been able to find anything on their long-term effects, if any.

BOAC
24th Apr 2010, 08:20
Still a lot of particles visible over Sussex at night in a torch beam. Our dogs and cat are sneezing a lot more than usual. I wonder how the London Marathon runners will fare gulping in all those bits?

Obviously mouth breathers will fare worse than others - Gordon Brown - YES!:)

Charley B
28th Apr 2010, 08:56
Did love that last bit:)
HOPEFULLY HE WONT BE AROUND AFTER 6/5!!

There was light ash/dust on my car last week--now covered in petals off neighbours trees(they are making our animals sneeze!)

aviate1138
28th Apr 2010, 18:41
BOAC that is Pollen! :rolleyes: :oh:

BOAC
28th Apr 2010, 20:04
In which case, aviate, my car was COVERED in gritty pollen.

PS Charley - I think he may have committed hara kiri today:)

Charley B
29th Apr 2010, 08:45
BOAC
mmm --I did laugh--oooh dear--one should always remember to turn ones microphone OFF!!!
Poss have a red face tonight!:)

BOAC
29th Apr 2010, 11:17
B rown
I in
G overnment
O h!
T ragedy