PDA

View Full Version : hyperventilation & anxiety

korvo
14th Nov 2001, 23:49
after my last profcheck, and back on the ground, i started to hyperventilate. then i did not know what was happening, but now i know. according to my doctor it was caused by extreme fatigue, being overstressed and probably too much cafeine (before the flight). in the meantime i did not fly again, (working on the ground, not in aviation, due to recession) but i am planning to be airborne again soon. problem is that i got an anxiety problem now. it sounds irrational, and i know, but i am afraid of getting an hyperventilation attack again, although i know how to stop them. i am even getting a bit of agoraphobia! i am on accupuncture now, which helps, and luckily i do not need any tranquilizers... i am allowed to take unharmful herbal medicine which helps too, but my anxiety is not over yet. still having these darn hyperventilation symptoms as well... my doctor told me that about 1 out of 10 people ever suffered from the same problem, so there must be pilots that have been or are in the same situation. i would like to know what their experience is whit this problem, and how they got rid of it. please feel free to mail me. i can need some advice. thanks

Sir_Lurkalot
15th Nov 2001, 13:07
Korvo,

You have my deepest sympathy, mate. I suffered from a major stress problem (still do, really), but now that I know it is only stress (rather than an impending heart attack!)I can control it more or less.

One of the main problems with busting stress/anxiety is breaking the pattern that leads to it. Another is recognising the syptoms and dealing with them before they become a major problem. As you already know, the anxiety-hyperventilation-more anxiety loop is a horrendous thing. My trick is to spot it starting, then stop the hyperventilation. Forcing yourself to take small, short breaths usually works. Many people drive themselves into hyperventilation because of helpful suggestions like 'take a few deep breaths and you'll get over it'.

The patterning thing can be a real problem. Example: coming back from my girlfriend's house (many years ago) I had all the symptoms of an impending attack whilst approaching a set of traffic lights. Concerned, I turned back. Two minutes later I felt better, and turned back for home, only to feel the same panic building as I approached the lights for the second time! Solved the problem by calling myself all kinds of rude name and busting through the situation.

It's all about playing head games with yourself. :)

Good luck.

cirrus driver
17th Nov 2001, 06:15
Good News,
You two gentleman must each find yourself a psychologist who use Cognitive Therapy.
There is no bull**** associated with this.
You shall merely be given the tools to take control of your emotions , without drugs.

This can be learned,just like flying.
Do not be afraid. Act Now!
From one who has referred quite a few patients, who thought they were having a heart attack, for successful therapy.

Cirrus Driver

Whirlybird
17th Nov 2001, 22:56
Cirrus Driver,

Would that work for white coat hypertension, do you know?