PDA

View Full Version : ATCO / Flight Crew Medicals-what is the difference?

JustAnotherVictim
28th Jan 2002, 04:58
Hi folks!

I was just wondering if anybody knew if ATCO licences are valid for flight training? The reason I ask is that I have a JAA Class 1 medical. Is this a suitable licence to commence PPL training, or would I have to take another medical?! Is the ATCO Class 1 the same as that held by flightcrew?

Thanks in advance.. .JAV

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2002, 12:09
I'm sure I've commented before following a similar question.. So far as I know the only difference is that pilots get wired up to an EEG in their initial medical to test for the presence of a brain. For us ATCOs it's more straightforward - the medic shines a light in one ear and if it illuminates the wall on the opposite side we get our Class 1.

ATCO medical certificates used to authorise the holder to act as pilot in command for the purpose of training but that section no longer appears. Somebody who knows more will hopefully answer you.

Good luck...

Hew Jampton
29th Jan 2002, 16:23
I've always wondered why ATCOs need a Class 1 anyway. Obviously they need to be reasonably sure of not having a heart attack or other incapacitation while actually controlling and they need good hearing, eyesight etc. But why should their unaided vision be of a certain standard? Apart from the difficulties of access to some VCRs, why shouldn't someone in a wheelchair become/remain an ATCO?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Jan 2002, 15:52
Hew. ATCOs need at least as good eyesight as pilots for the same reason - so we can do our job. 99% of what we do is through using our eyes - tower controllers constantly look around the airfield and the sky and radar controllers watch their magic scopes. Maybe the "unaided" vision bit simply sets a standard? I see no reason why ATCOs shouldn't come to work in wheelchairs or any other vehicle. I've ridden a Penny Farthing bike around the old Approach Control Room at Heathrow and I didn't need an endorsement on my medical cert for that!