PDA

View Full Version : Best time for Botswana - private flying

172driver
22nd Apr 2010, 16:57
Hi guys, here's a question to all the chaps flying in the delta:

What's the best time to visit by airplane? Intend to do a trip either later this year or next year, but - surprisingly - cannot really find much info other than the usual tourist stuff (where of course 'anytime' is great....). Would like to see it when it's green, i.e. with water but also not too hot (and bumpy - missus doesn't like them potholes in the skyway too much)

Will probably rent an a/c out of WDH, done that before.

Thanks.

12109BYLAS
2nd May 2010, 22:24
If you haven't already found useable contacts, have a look at
Kalahari Flying Club (http://www.kalahari-flying-club.org)
Aircraft bookings are made through Heike in Maun at +267 - 72 86 84 48

Good luck, and have fun!

james ozzie
3rd May 2010, 06:23
I passed through Maun from Eros once. But I was warned:

"Do not fly into the Delta unless you have had a very good briefing and preferably a check ride with a local pilot"

Not quite sure what the monsters were out there but I heeded the warning nevertheless and took a dugout canoe instead!

Enjoy

172driver
3rd May 2010, 07:07
Thanks for the info. Had heard of Kalahari Flying Club but haven't contacted them yet. Will do so now.

JamesOzzie - what time of the year were you there?

james ozzie
3rd May 2010, 10:08
172driver: time of year of my visit was mid June, Lovely weather but the water "had not come down" at that point so the game was less abundant. It was due soon but I had a schedule and missed it. I think there is lots of local knowledge about when the water arrives each year. Probably all on the net somewhere these days?

rodmur
3rd May 2010, 11:32
The water is arriving now. The best weather and best game viewing June to Sept

The most experience local pilot in Maun for info and briefing
John Allot
[email protected]

172driver
3rd May 2010, 16:49
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was after. JamesOzzie, I did all sort of Google searches before posting here, but strangely, this info isn't really forthcoming. Trouble is you always end up with some tourism site that - surprise, surprise! - claims that it is great year-round.

Looks like the best time for Bots is same as for Nam.

Any other info welcome, keep it coming guys :ok:

172driver
3rd May 2010, 22:18
rodmur, could you please PM me the email of John Allot ? It was there a couple of hours ago, now I get a msg saying 'invalid hash' :confused: