PDA

View Full Version : Fly-by-Wire Diagrams

jezza5
22nd Apr 2010, 15:11
Hi there,

I'm doing a project on the A330 and planning to explain the key differecnes between fly-by-wire and the older more conventional flight control systems.

This will involve using a 3D graphic model of the plane and transplanting the convenitonal system out and the fly-by-wire in to help visualise these differences. My problem is finding some good diagramtic references to use with this that exhibit the right amoutn of detail. I have looked at lots of Airbus manuals but the diagrams are understandably very complex and specific to particualr sub-systems rather the giving the 'overall picture' of the system. We're trying to come up with something representative that is simple enough to show an non aviaiton audience but still true to the overall layout and componentry of the system.

Does anyone know of any images/diagrams/info that might be of help? I've trawled the interent with little luck but I'm not in the aviation industry so probably haven't been to all the righ places.

Thanks!

tom775257
22nd Apr 2010, 15:46
If you can get someone to send you a copy of the Airbus VACBI ( Video and Computer Based Instruction) (at least on the A320) it has some very simple 3D animations of the differences between traditional and FBW systems by way of an introduction. I can't see why it would be copywrited, who cares, it teaches you about the aircraft they sell; but I don't know.

All the best, Tom.

high-flyer
22nd Apr 2010, 16:02
Jezza,

I fly the A320, there is a great deal of good information about both the 320 and 330 on smartcockpit.com.

For example, there is a schematic/logic type diagram of the flight controls here,

SmartCockpit - Airline training guides, Aviation, Operations, Safety (http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/airbus/A330/systems/0010/)

take a look, and if you need any help making sense of it all, reply, and we'll get it sorted.:ok:

high-flyer

muduckace
22nd Apr 2010, 18:57
I have an old copy of an MD-11 amm that gives great block diagrams it is in adobe so I can't do much with it, I would love to send you a simple diagram of one actuator. I do not think it will be easy to find general diagrams since there are several systems you are trying to display, you would be better off picking one primary flight control because all other primary's are the same or similar. Also keep it simple only to show a single hydraulic system when there usually several as well.

Usually for each flight control you have 2 modes, manual fly by wire and A/P fly by wire (redundant for safety). 2 sets of servo valves that port hydraulic fluid to extend or retract the actuator/flightcontrol and 2 sources of feedback to report actuator/flightcontrol position. The FCC Flight Control Computer reads computes and controlls all of this information to ensure the inputs are matched by proper outputs.

Old mechanical systems had a cable controling a valve that mechanically or in big older jets hydro-mechanically moves the surface then the surface position is displayed as a visual reference to the pilot.

jezza5
26th Apr 2010, 14:38
This is all hugely helpful thanks. I think I'll need to amass a good amount of info here to get the best possible result so I'll follow up on all this. A couple of furhter ques's if that's OK...

Muduckace - could you possibly send me the image fo the actuator? Is it possible to send via Pprune (I'm not an expert I'm afraid) or I could give you my personal email?

Smart Cockpit is really helpful, just not working for some reason at the moment. I'll be sure to follow the link as soon as it's up and runign again...

It seems finding a schematic of one flight control would indeed be a good idea and then use it to 'build' the rest of main ones. I've seen diagramatic versions but if anyone has one PFC schemtatic that shows where each key component is found on the aircraft that would be great.

Cheers!