PDA

View Full Version : eye vision requirements for the us

BS
17th Mar 2002, 13:15
Hi everyone,. .. .Can anyone tell me what the eye requirements are for the united states as i'am planning on getting my atpl over there. I had my class 1 medical last week here in the Netherlands, left eye -3,50 0,75 cil. so too much right eye -2,00 0,75 cil.. .I'am getting a second opinion anyway but the programs in the us are much shorter and as i have seen much cheaper than over here.. .I was just wondering what the maximum correction of the eyes is for the us. I've read 20/20 for both eyes individually corrected but what's the correction??. .. .thnx in advance for the feedback.... .BS

inverted flatspin
17th Mar 2002, 20:12
It does not matter how strong your glasses are, if you can be corrected to 20/20 you get a FAA first class medical. If you can not be corrected to 20/20 then you can still qualify under a waiver process.

kabz
21st Mar 2002, 19:40
Go blindly, where no-one this short sighted has gone before ...

masseygrad
22nd Mar 2002, 15:07
BS, . .. .Do you know off the top of your head what the eyesight limits are for a Class 1 in the Netherlands and/or Europe are? How far out was your prescription?. .. .Cheers.

BS
24th Mar 2002, 01:09
Hi Kiwee,. .. .The requirements for the Netherlands for your initial are -3/+3. So i had too much in the left eye, but i got a second opinion from an eyedoctor now it seems it must be -3,00 with 0,25 cilinder....really hope they will be ok with this so i can begin soon.. .Are you gonna start soon too??. .. .Greetz. .BS

BS
24th Mar 2002, 01:14
Forgot to say:. .. .Limits in for example the UK or Belgium (from what i've heard) -5/+5 on initial and -8/+5 on renewal!!. .. .BS

loz
24th Mar 2002, 03:27
BS, . .. .At the moment , the belgian CAA still applies old belgian regs concerning vision requirements ( 3/10 initial ; 1/10 renewal --) so not related to dioptries limits).. .They are going to apply the new JAR medical as soon as the JAA subcomitees publish their final decision about the possible extension to -5/-8 (already in application in the UK momenteraly ). It should be expected for April 2002 .. .. .Cheers, . .. .Loz

BS
24th Mar 2002, 13:48
Hi Loz,. .. .Do you mean the european standards are going to be -5/+5 on initial in April this year? . .I still think it's crazy that here in the netherlands -3/+3 is the standard!. .Correct me if i'am wrong because i'm planning on getting started with the training very soon!. .. .thnx. .BS

BS
24th Mar 2002, 13:51
Hey Kabz,. .. .What is your eyesight then if i may ask? I just may start the training in Texas if this wont work here. Do you know anything about the Tyler flying school there in Texas?. .. .thnx. .BS

loz
24th Mar 2002, 22:59
Bs,. .. .Don't rush too much , . .if I was in your situation , I would wait a bit, because the JAA are working at the moment (since 2000, i think) on a project to permit the extension of the current JAA vis requirements from -3/+3 up to -5/+5 , they should take a decision in april ; check <a href="http://www.caa.co.uk" target="_blank">www.caa.co.uk</a> then have a look in the "what's new " of the Medical section.. .i don't how is it working in the Netherlands, but you will get much more infos about the subject on the UK CAA website,. .. .good luck . .. .loz

masseygrad
25th Mar 2002, 06:05
Thanks for the info BS.. .. .I actually have a class 1 medical in New Zealand. I wear glasses for distance vision. Although to date my prescription doesn't seem to have been an issue in passing my medical (i.e. I've been comfortably within the limits in NZ). I went to an optometrist a few days ago and found that my prescription had increased a bit, so I'm trying to get an idea if I may have problems in the next 20 to 30 years.. .. .Unfortunately flying in Europe isn't an option for me at present, with my passport, but I'm hopeful of working there one day when I have the experience and qualifications to circumvent that.. .. .As far as I know, the eyesight limitations stipulated by a county's aviation authority is one thing, but the limitations of an airline in that country is what really matters. I think your eyes will be fine for most airlines. But I understand that Cathay Pacific, for example, have very little (if not zero) tolerance on vision when they recruit.. .. .Anyway, sounds like you'll be fine in Europe. All the best.

kabz
25th Mar 2002, 07:34
Haha, my vision is correctable to 20/20. i.e. ok with specs, but without specs, I can't see very much, put it that way...

what's it doing now?
20th Apr 2002, 00:41
A bit of trivia...

The reason glasses have been such a problem for people wanting to fly?

In open cockpits, with goggles having to be worn, it was found that glasses couldn't be worn under the goggles, so therefore pilots were required to have perfect vision.

I like the Americans idea. If your glasses bring you up to 20/20 then you get a class one. :cool:

Check 6
20th Apr 2002, 07:03
See U.S. FAR Part 67 for medical requirements.

shifatur
20th Apr 2002, 17:32
any idea about south african requirement? planning to go there this june.......

left= -0.50
right= -0.25

would that do?

cheers!!
shifatur

DANZ
4th May 2002, 06:15
I recently got my Class 1 Medical in NZ. My prescription is -4.25/-3.25 and a bit of astigmatism also. Although the requirements here are +/- 3.0 diopters (with glasses) I was able to pass medical as there is an exemption to the rule if your near vision is ok and eyesight between -3 and -8 diopters. If my near vision was bad I would've still got a Class 1 but would have to wear contact lenses. So all is not lost!!

Cheers
Dan