PDA

View Full Version : Pax upset in the hold

goldox
21st Apr 2010, 11:32
Never mind the debate about whether or not to "crash the ash", it appears someone has a particularly evil streak.

This quote from CNN.com says it all:

"Passengers arriving on the Vancouver flight to Heathrow late Tuesday said they circled over Ireland for a couple of hours before getting approval to land in London, which prompted a big cheer in the cabin....'It was pretty harrowing,' said one woman who was aboard the flight. She told CNN she had a 'dizzy, kind of sickly feeling' in her stomach as they circled." (My edits)

Edit: ACTUALLY, A LOT OTT.
:)

cherrylock
21st Apr 2010, 11:38
TBH its posts like this that get us a bad rep, so flippin what some lady felt sick/ dizzy maybe she had drank too much or over indulged on the curry the night before who knows

goldox
21st Apr 2010, 11:55
Battle to clear backlog as Europe reopens for flights - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/21/volcano.ash/index.html?hpt=T1)

I read it as she found the circling for two hours harrowing, and producing a dizzy sickly feeling in her stomach (dizzy stomach? Is that medically possible?).

Could be wrong, but I'm certainly under the impression she is possibly prone to exaggeration.

But what do I know?

Hirem J Trashcan
21st Apr 2010, 14:19
Exactly how do you get a dizzy feeling in your stomach? Is there a doctor on board?

robin
21st Apr 2010, 14:27
I was watching the virtual radar trace about 9.00pm last night and there were 4 aircraft flying a very very large race-track pattern waiting for 10.00.

There would have been no steep turns, but some people just get wound up when an aircraft goes into a holding pattern no matter how gentle.

Bank angle are felt differently by different people.

goldox
21st Apr 2010, 14:49
I suppose the steeper the bank angle the more someone could get "wound up" :)

Seriously I did not appreciate how sensitive some people may be to even very gentle turns. I tend to feel sick when a thunderstorm is approaching.

I should be more caring and not so cynical. Years of training in a hospital have hardened me tho' ...

deeceethree
21st Apr 2010, 16:33
robin,

Were the aircraft you are referring to holding just south of the UK FIR (i.e. just inside French airspace), north of Paris? There were 2 BA 777s holding there at reporting point ABUDA just before the UK airspace opened for arrivals.

TSR2
21st Apr 2010, 18:39
The BA Vancouver flight was holding over the Irish Sea just south of the I.O.M.

con-pilot
21st Apr 2010, 18:56
The idiots that made a story about this completely and totally non-event should be the one's ashamed.

Not the pilots that were just doing their job.

It must have really been a slow or non news day.

barry lloyd
21st Apr 2010, 19:12
A prelude to a compensation claim perhaps... (You heard it first on CNN):hmm:

robin
21st Apr 2010, 20:13
robin,

Were the aircraft you are referring to holding just south of the UK FIR (i.e. just inside French airspace), north of Paris? There were 2 BA 777s holding there at reporting point ABUDA just before the UK airspace opened for arrivals.

One over the Irish Sea, one over Cherbourg, one over Birmingham and one between Plymouth and Exeter

west lakes
21st Apr 2010, 20:20
Plus one off the W coast of Ireland and one holding over Lands End

The BA84 held near the IOM, then diverted towards Dublin, then over N Wales, to a hold south of Birmingham then to LHR.
The one off Ireland even managed a figure of 8

goldox
22nd Apr 2010, 09:12
It has been so heavily edited by Mods that the sense of my thread has been lost.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Apr 2010, 10:47
Pity the mods didn't remove this thread entirely!

macuser
22nd Apr 2010, 11:19
I was watching the BA Lagos in the hold on Tue evening. Must have been in a race-track pattern of 15 miles by 30 miles. A very gentle bank angle I wold have thought.