PDA

View Full Version : AOP eyesight standards

MatthewV
20th Apr 2010, 20:58
Can someone explain these - why does it say that naval pilots only need 6/12 as opossed to the RAF's 6/6.

I emailed them and they get these straight directly from the forces and so are not fake.

Also is it likely either the Navy or RAF will accept people with LASIK or contact lenses in the future?

Thanks

MatthewV
20th Apr 2010, 22:32
bump...

Does anyone know?

Skittles
20th Apr 2010, 23:50
Firstly - I am not military. This has just popped up on the 'new posts' feed. So do be aware I hold no authority, although I suspect my answers will be reflected by the professionals.

From several Navy figures, including those at my ATCO, the Navy accept 6/12 based on the fact that the RAF was passing up plenty of excellent candidates based on their eyesight. This might have been rumour, but I have heard it from several staff.

In regards to LASIK, it is strictly not allowed, and will not be for the foreseeable future (once again straight from ATCO's mouth). USAF allows it even in new applicants, but here in the UK it completely precludes entry.

Get yourself down to your nearest ATCO and ask these questions first hand. If you decided to enquire/apply you will register your interests and be given an opthalmic supplement, which is completed at an opticians. It's just an advanced standard of eye test. You then give back the supplement, the information is all passed on, and your suitability assessed. You hear back in the post whether you could be considered for the posts you registered an interest in.

If they decide you are not suitable, that is that. Black and white.

Apologies if I have treaded on anyone's toes. I hope the information provided is accurate.

Edit: And it isn't just your visual acuity which is important. You also need good colour vision, good peripheral vision, there are limits on astigmatism etc, not to mention all of the other requirements for entry.

MatthewV
21st Apr 2010, 00:44
Thanks a lot.

So you heard 6/12 is actually the requirement for fighter pilots in the Navy? Does this mean they can use contact lenses?

I will speak to an AFCO but do you think standards will change in 2012 with the F35Bs replacing the harriers as they're supersonic.

Thanks!

Skittles
21st Apr 2010, 01:22
That's completely speculative and as far as I can imagine it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

On a bit of a tangent, would any military personnel agree that good eyesight was more important in the second world war for instance? When there was no in-aircraft radar to help you comb the sky etc?

Just go to your AFCO, it doesn't matter what anyone on here tells you, you can't skip any stage of the process.

MatthewV
21st Apr 2010, 01:38
Do you mean contact lenses wouldnt make a difference or the model of plane?

Thanks for detailed help. Can I confirm it is 6/12 then haha - you heard this at an AFCO?

Skittles
21st Apr 2010, 02:23
Confirm it with the ATCO! I'm not telling you any more!

Mr C Hinecap
21st Apr 2010, 05:13
Matthew - read the 'Sticky' threads at the top of the page - loads of good information. Contact lenses would not be allowed - your vision needs to be those standards uncorrected.

gashman
21st Apr 2010, 11:30
from Skittles:

"On a bit of a tangent, would any military personnel agree that good eyesight was more important in the second world war for instance? When there was no in-aircraft radar to help you comb the sky etc?"

Eyes out of the cockpit is the only way to avoid collision at low level (RADAR can't see through rock so the quickest way to get SA on traffic is to see them), certain SAM launches are usually seen before they are detected by other systems (that depends on how the SAM works), and we still have the Visual ID problem where a pilot needs to find a target and ID what it is. Sharpness of vision could be the thing which determines if a target is declared hostile or friendly. A Flanker can look like an Eagle if the picture is blurred enough.

Finally, glasses are a pain in the ass for air combat, as the target is not always in front of you. Looking at the very limits of your scope of vision under high G loads can often mean that you are looking outside of the corrected vision afforded by the Joe 90 flying specs the RAF issues.

I hope that the USAF blazes the trail on laser surgery and produces enough data points to prove that the technique is compatible with high energy flying.

MatthewV
26th Apr 2010, 09:56
Back in UK now, I phoned an AFCO and the guy put me on hold. Shortly after he said you'll need 20/20 perfect vision.

I don't understand why it says differently on this AOP site. ugh kinda pissed.

Not sure if I'll have 6/6 by 18, I'm 6/5 now with (looking at prescription) 0.50 astigmatism each eye (cyl).

What are the limits on astigmatisms?