PDA

View Full Version : So how many more got banned from the Ash thread?

22 Degree Halo
20th Apr 2010, 18:26
You are currently banned from contributing to this thread.
Reason given for this ban: :rolleyes:

Spotters not welcome!:rolleyes:

The ban is in effect until: 27th April 2010, ~18:00:rolleyes:

Come join me on the naughty steps. :rolleyes:

Avman
20th Apr 2010, 18:40
Maybe you deserved it? :}

22 Degree Halo
20th Apr 2010, 18:45
Check back my posts - I fail to see how ;)

HeathrowAirport
20th Apr 2010, 18:47
Same here - I am not a spotter though - I am doing my NPPL/EASA LAPL.

Someone's trigger happy tonight.

Also furthermore to the point'

For someone to be called a spotter.

Aircraft spotting or plane spotting is the observation and logging registration numbers of aircraft: gliders, powered aircraft, balloons, airships, helicopters, and microlights

I don't do any of that - I am a Student on a C172. :ooh:

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2010, 19:24
I told you just a few days ago that non-professionals were not wanted on the R&N forum, and particularly on the ash thread. But some of you thought you would have a go and then get deleted from it. What is it? Don't you like being told how it is or what?

I too have been deleting posts on the ash thread, some that 'spotters' have been making. THAT WILL CONTINUE SO DON'T DO IT!

Your input is doubtless thought by you to be of value but it isn't.

PPP

Double Zero
20th Apr 2010, 20:00
PPP,

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm an ex-pro military aircraft & kit - still definitely a civvie non pilot myself - photographer ( and that means dealing with all sorts of kit, not just cameras as I'm sure you know ).

I visit this 'spotter's corner' to keep up with the latest cameras, as A, I'm not flying at the moment,

B, Only a fool says he can't learn !

There have been a few tongue in cheek comments about the Ash Problem, also some serious flight test questions, both categories from self.

Someone somewhere is indeed being a bit hair-triggered on the 'ban' button.

As this Ash is something we would never have believed for a second if we read it in a book, it's hardly surprising people might discuss it on a Rumour Network site ?!

Anyone responsible will keep anything naughty to publish out of it, or of course that's your time to step in, among any time you see fit; I run a smaller website, and thoroughly enjoyed banning a rude idiot - as for security etc, I'd be happy to send my C.V. again, & do recall mailing you recently about something.

Regards,

DZ

HamishMcBush
20th Apr 2010, 21:02
I too have been banned from a certain thread becasue "spotters were warned".
Well, I never received a warning.
All I ever wanted to be when I was young was an airline pilot, but I was advised not to become one at my careers stage at secondary school. Maybe if the way the moderators behave is representative of the way pilots behave, it's just as well.
But it saddens me; am I supposed to be telepathetic?
I feel my entire life has been a waste of time, and heavy-handed actions without due warning by others doesn't help matters :sad:

Pugilistic Animus
20th Apr 2010, 21:35
am beginning to think that this may be an "elitist" forum, unlike the photo, motorsport and motoring forums in which I also participate (and am a moderator on some)... those who are not "aviation professionals" seem to be treated in a different manner

:}:}:}

so what information do you have about ash clouds?

What are the resources are used officially by pilots in order to determine volcanic hazards?

Should you use autothrottle? autopilot?

What are some signs of flight through volcanic ash?

Do you have your job or your butt right on the line wrt to the ash cloud?

Lester:E

Double Zero
21st Apr 2010, 02:47
Hamish,

If you really want to fly for a 'job' you'll soon learn to watch out for wind-up merchants -and in the services, as the no. of seats decline, it will only get worse.

So if that is your chosen profession, DO IT but it has to be in modern parlance 24/7.

Have fun, maybe I'll photograph you and your a/c one day if we're both lucky enough to be there.

DZ

kevlarcarl
21st Apr 2010, 10:34
Might be prudent to wind yer necks in , count yourselfs very lucky a forum for aviation pros even allows you lot house room and abide by the rules, if you dont you might find yourselves back on the wrong side of the peri -track fence so to speak:ok:

holyflyer
21st Apr 2010, 11:42
The Mods have had an unenviable task these last few days. Simply managing the "Ash Thread" and ensuring it was being moderated at all times was probably difficult in itself.

We all need to remember, whether spotter, PPL or 30,000 hr 747 skipper, that we are guests in a forum that has its rules and policies.

Some of us also need to update our profiles to ensure that when we do post the mods know our background.

Having contributed a few times I began to watch the thread from a purely academic point of view. (I have a Philosophy lecture coming up: Persuasion - Argument, Debate, Discussion.) It was interesting to note the different editorial policies. Some very good, technically well thought out posts were deleted,I guess because they were not professional pilots; yet other 'twitter' style posts remained. I hope to include examples in the lecture.

The headline phrase "Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots" certainly needs updating. Sentence one implies the Sub-Forum is for Professional Pilots, but then sentence two partially contradicts that and gives a get out caveat. It needs strengthening.

Professionally, I do hope the mods get together at some point in the future for a de-brief, reflection and review perhaps with someone from beyond Pprune. They do a difficult, largely unsung job. I for one appreciate it.

kevlarcarl
21st Apr 2010, 14:13
Thats the whole problem, it doesnt have only aviation pros posting it has no end of half baked "spotters" who have no valid contribution to make who however seem to think that because they spend hours flying their flight sims or gazing thro their binos that qualifies them to make informed postings on the pros forums ,sadly it doesnt , leave that to the pilots/ATC/engineers/ops etc

Hirem J Trashcan
21st Apr 2010, 14:17
Who can define "valid contribution" though? What's of value to one person may be considered absolute trash to one of the moderators

Sprogget
21st Apr 2010, 14:31
I didn't get banned. Then again, I posted something relevant tee hee!

JimmyTAP
21st Apr 2010, 14:45
You seem to forget that aviation "professionals" come in various shapes and varieties.
What should be deleted are irrelevant posts, especially in a large thread. There were even some about the Challenger disaster, the link to the volcanic ash business was tenuous at best.
To lump "spotters" in one group is wrong. I look through binoculars at aeroplanes, play on flight sim and have had nearly 24 years in the aviation business. Does that make me a "spotter" or a "professional"?

ExRAFRadar
21st Apr 2010, 17:19
Hats off to you kevlar you have them biting. :)

I had a thread locked and didnt think to much about it - with hindsight it was the wrong place and 'an ash thread too far'

But it did preempt the goverment 'Armarda sent to Spain' announcement.

Pity some sort of PPrune wasnt around when the roles were reversed and Spain sent an armada our way.

Matter of fact I can feel a JetBlast thread coming on :)

west lakes
21st Apr 2010, 17:45
Those that claim thay weren't warned, you must then have missed this post
(you did take the trouble to check all the thread before posting didn't you?)

http://www.pprune.org/5638406-post465.html

Sir Herbert Gussett
21st Apr 2010, 17:57
Same here - I am not a spotter though - I am doing my NPPL/EASA LAPL.

Someone's trigger happy tonight.

Also furthermore to the point'

For someone to be called a spotter.

I don't do any of that - I am a Student on a C172. :ooh:

And from some of your other posts you seem like a spotter (and student) to me! :ok:

Lessons towards an NPPL doesn't give you enough credit to comment on a PROFESSIONAL'S matter!!

kevlarcarl
21st Apr 2010, 18:04
I hope RAFradar your not suggesting for a moment i would attempt to wind up the knapsack and thermos fraternity,;) i was merely pointing out that their kindly tolerated here and not to abuse the kindness shown to them by the grown ups by constantly posting spotter drivel on their forums:)

Pugilistic Animus
21st Apr 2010, 20:11
YouTube - The Honeymooners ." I PUT IT IN !! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwI-EWEDy-I&feature=related)

:}

goldox
21st Apr 2010, 20:58
"... qualifies them to make informed postings on the pros forums ,sadly it doesnt , leave that to the pilots/ATC/engineers/ops etc "
(Nothing personal kevlarcarl, but your comments sum up what follows..)

Regarding the above comment and others regarding valid contributions to certain forums, I would point out that there is a forum on PPruNe named "Computer/Internet Issues and Troubleshooting", which I note has attracted a huge number of valid contributions and informed postings.

And a lot of uninformed rubbish and potentially dangerous misinformation regarding deletion of personal data etc.

As an IT professional, member of two professional bodies (the British Computer Sociey, and Instute of IT Training), Microsoft Office Master, Microsoft Master Instructor, and holder of several other IT, training and teaching qualifications, and a qualified senior IT Support Analyst and Computer Engineer (end of self-congratulations) perhaps I should request that a similar proviso be placed on that forum preventing non-professionals contributing to it, just because they use a PC and think they know a bit about computers?

However don't take this too seriously, I am just trying to make a point about valid contributions shouldn't always have to come from those "in the trade".

simfly
21st Apr 2010, 22:12
I got banned, I believe it was beyond harsh with everything else being posted and was in response to an earlier post, and to add insult I am a professional! :ouch:

L337
22nd Apr 2010, 05:41
Unless you have been banned at least once and had ten posts deleted you are not a PPRuNer!

Think of it as a compliment. I try to.....

Checklist Charlie
22nd Apr 2010, 06:22
banned at least once

What! only once.

Vino Collapso
22nd Apr 2010, 09:14
I was/am banned from the Cabin Crew forum. Not being cabin crew my comments were deemed not appropriate so I was banned from posting anything anywhere for a few days.

After a brief exchange of private messages explaining my position working in aviation and private flying I was allowed to post again but totally excluded from Cabin Crew which now comes up as 'Private'.

When I asked when this block would be lifted I had to make promises to be a good person and conform to 'nettiquette'. I am far too old to be treated like school kid and hell will freeze over before I get down on my knees.

I understand the difficulties that the Mods face and I am sure they are doing sterling work behind the scenes but if you do not have a filtering system at the new member registration phase then you are going to have to accept that non-qualified people are going to have access to places you may not like.

ManofMan
22nd Apr 2010, 11:45
Thats the whole problem, it doesnt have only aviation pros posting it has no end of half baked "spotters" who have no valid contribution to make who however seem to think that because they spend hours flying their flight sims or gazing thro their binos that qualifies them to make informed postings on the pros forums ,sadly it doesnt , leave that to the pilots/ATC/engineers/ops etc

Kevlarcarl, for someone who does not like spotters you seem to spend a $hit load of time in Spotters Corner, 3rd or 4th dig in as many days.

Any reason ??

Glamdring
22nd Apr 2010, 12:58
I am a professional!

Well, that's debatable :}

Evanelpus
22nd Apr 2010, 14:53
Let's end all the debate now.

What's the name of this website? I'm not going to give you a clue.

If you want to post spotter thoughts, go to Air******.net, they'd love to have them.

JimmyTAP
22nd Apr 2010, 15:04
Let's end all the debate now.

What's the name of this website? I'm not going to give you a clue.

If you want to post spotter thoughts, go to Air******.net, they'd love to have them.

That's odd - this bit seems to be called Spotters Corner. There seems to be other bits of PPrune that are not for pilots either. In fact most of it isn't for pilots. Does that mean Pprune is wrongly named?

Evanelpus
22nd Apr 2010, 15:20
Jimmy

I'm going to come off the fence now.

I believe (and it's my own personal thought) that PPRuNe should ditch the Spotters Corner. As I've mentioned in my last e-mail, there are other websites out there that would love to hear what spotters have to say.

Sadly, I don't think this will happen. Some of the comments made in the more technical threads are lamentable and downright wrong and so obviously made by spotters.

My old Dad once told me "Son, stick to what you know", a lesson some of us have never heard of.

JimmyTAP
22nd Apr 2010, 15:42
I believe that any post should be judged by its own merit, not on who made it. "Spotters" can make valuable contributions to discussions like anyone else. As I said previously, some of the posts from so-called professionals leave a lot to be desired and some of them are frankly quite worrying.
I don't deny that some "spotters" make daft comments but that isn't a trait that is peculiar to spotters.

Evanelpus
22nd Apr 2010, 15:46
Jimmy, I respect your opinion, what I've written is mine.

HamishMcBush
22nd Apr 2010, 17:16
Double Zero.. I am 50 years old now so I think it is next to impossible that I will become a professional pilot. I've worked on turbine control systems in the past and I now work for a company that is trying to get the emergency beacon system changed to a more intelligent transponder. Some of our kit is being used to look for the AF wreckage under the ocean (RIP crew and passengers).

P A - I may know little about flying through ash, but looking at many other posts on the thread in question, they are totally irrelevant to the thread too. Same with many threads, ramblings, accusations, slagging others off BUT the authors are not banned. There is so much inconsistency in what is permitted on these forums.

Pugilistic Animus
22nd Apr 2010, 17:47
HamishMcBush I had two posts deleted from the thread:}

I've had many other post deleted too:E

Don't let little things get to you:)

but looking at many other posts on the thread in question, they are totally irrelevant to the thread too. Same with many threads, ramblings, accusations, slagging others off BUT the authors are not banned.

Pilots talking horse hooey ;)

kevlarcarl
22nd Apr 2010, 17:56
Your right jimmy there are other areas of pprune that are not strictly for pilots but what they are for in the main is the other aviation pros such as ATC, engineers , ops, dispatch etc who generally have something worthwhile to contribute in stark contrast to the spotter input which is generally at best laughable, as said previously spotters are kindly tolerated ,...........but that can easily change:ok:

superspotter
22nd Apr 2010, 18:03
Kevlarcarl.
Something about your posts awakened my interest and it seems, after perusing all your posts on Pprune that you have a somewhat pathological dislike of spotters. What's up son, wouldnt mummy buy you a pair of binoculars when you were younger?? :)
Interestingly, despite said dislike, that most of your posts are on the spotters forum.....

JimmyTAP
22nd Apr 2010, 18:18
kindly tolerated
Kindly tolerated? By you? That's very magnanimous of you.

but that can easily change

So who made you leader then?

To paraphrase the words above I would suggest that security move you along and you toddle off to your "professional" dispatcher's forum.

22 Degree Halo
22nd Apr 2010, 18:42
Wonderful to see the non-professional posts remaining on the Ash thread recently. :}

As for the so-called professionals spouting out tosh on here, I have one question to ask you:

Were you born to willy-wave or did you cultivate this way of looking down on people on a FREE SIGN-UP MESSAGE BOARD the more "professional" you became?

It's quite comical to see the "them and us " attitude is alive and well. :bored:

Pugilistic Animus
22nd Apr 2010, 18:51
From those heights you can't even see people and you don't really care if one of those tiny dots just disappeared anyways:E

yes we were born to Willy-Wave] it in the sociological culture because whether we WANT to be right is one thing; We HAVE to be right, talking horse Hooey is what pilots do but the points are very specific:\

PS

HamishMcbush you are not to old to be a pilot --I'll feel bad that you were discouraged from that by some muppetty counselor:yuk:,...while an airline career may be too late,...there's no reason for not pursuing instruction or other forms of flight

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Apr 2010, 21:39
OK! You have had your whingeing and your whimpers and now it stops. You have no idea, other than in your own little worlds, how PPRuNe works and why it has to be controlled the way it is. Moderating thousands of posts on a daily basis is done by 50+ of us - night and day, from different parts of the world. Hundreds of posts have been deleted from the R&N 'ash' forum for many reasons but MOSTLY because they have no real value and understanding - a commodity seriously lacking in so many people who THINK they know and those who make an attempt but fail miserably.

You will just have to get used to the way PPRuNe is run or go somewhere else. It really is a simple as that. No-one forces you to use PPRuNe but if you do - you have to play it by our rules. That is a fact of life that is non-negotiable

Your choice. But this thread is closed.