PDA

View Full Version : Don't tell Rivets!

jimtherev
20th Apr 2010, 18:00
... or he'll never get his book finished...

But M$oft have now "launched "Fix It" software that keeps an eye on a PC and automatically repairs common faults."

BBC News - Microsoft debuts 'fix it' program (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8629331.stm)

Apparently this s/ware is in Beta and applies to XP and Vista. (A bit of a dockyard job with the latter I would have thought!)

Don't know what to think, really. I would ordinarily react against a third party messing about with my machine, but since I've been running W7 since the turn of the year and no zombies have marched through my door yet, I suppose it might be all right.

What are your thoughts, mes amis?

Loose rivets
20th Apr 2010, 19:19
Just mentioned your thread to the Rivetess, and she said, "He's got you down to a T. "

Funny thing is that until recently, I've never been beaten by a technical problem . . . not totally beaten anyway. Right now I'm about to read Bush's post yet again for perhaps one last clue as to why I spent last evening looking for a NetFlix with subtitles.:}

I did see the thing about the fix-it software - possibly in 'Wired', or some such. Sounds interesting.

seanbean
20th Apr 2010, 21:19
I downloaded MS Fix It (Beta) earlier today and gave it a try on my XP SP3 laptop.

No problems downloading/installing. Runs OK and looks promising - although it didn't find anything to "fix".

Worth a look/try IMHO.

mad_jock
21st Apr 2010, 15:58
H'mm thinks about the success rate of letting it look for drivers.

And also about that day that something went tits up after an "upgrade" and the network went US and it suggested looking online for a solution.

I think i will give that choice bit of software a very wide berth. Maybe i am just a old git but it screams to me of another huge batch of security blunders waiting to happen.

Bushfiva
21st Apr 2010, 23:16
So how would you expect a phishing filter to work if it can't compare the URL to its database?