PDA

View Full Version : Will Volcano = accelerated airline consolidation?

Wodka
20th Apr 2010, 17:22
So i'm sure everyone who initially enjoyed that first day off as I did is now starting to think about the longer term impacts on the industry. The losses are mounting by the hour and the lack of any concrete end in sight is definitely becoming a major risk for the carriers with poor cash reserves.

So, i'm keen to hear what everyone else's opinion on this is?

SKY's4ME
20th Apr 2010, 19:09
I think as much as post 9/11 changed the Airline industry we will look back on this as another new era of aviation. Who knows fewer larger carriers, a more global integrated airline focus or the start of a slimed down industry?

One thing is for sure this Ash cloud won't blow over as quick as it came! And in the clearance there will be considerable mess to clean up...

robertbartsch
20th Apr 2010, 19:26
Yes; this should be obvious. The severity of the impact will depend on how long the ash prevents flights. Last time the same volcano kept churning up ash for about two years!

I doubt this time will be any different, but that is just a guess from me.

zerotohero
20th Apr 2010, 19:41
Metroline employees, bus driver jobs, bus driver training, careers with Metroline, training and development (http://www.metroline.co.uk/jobs.html)

There you go guys, just incase :ok:

Dreamshiner
20th Apr 2010, 22:54
So who are the likely candidates (in the UK market at least)?

BA and Iberia (if they can swallow the BA pension deficit elephant in the room)
BMi/Lufthansa already done?
TCX/MYT - 3 years ago
TUI/First Choice - 3 years ago

Virgin - think they are bobbing along on fine, would Branson's ego allow a merger?

So who is left?

Charter:
Monarch, Jet2

LoCo's:
Baby, Flybe
Will Ryanair or Easy have the liquidity to gobble up a few competitors either here or on the continent, if so who are in their sights?