PDA

View Full Version : Engine, pitot and any other covers.

Just a spotter
20th Apr 2010, 13:09
Hi

possibly a dumb question, but here goes.

While watching all the TV news coverage of grounded aircraft about the place, all tucked up with their engine, pitot covers and other "remove before flight" bits attached (apart from some FR 73's in DUB which had large amounts of plastic sheeting wrapped around the engines), it got me wondering; are airliners delivered "new" with a full set of covers etc. and also, do the fly around with them in the hold just in case they are stranded away from home? If not, then who has them and where are the necessary "wraps" kept for aircraft?

JAS

Otto Throttle
20th Apr 2010, 13:51
I can't speak for other operators, but yes, the company aircraft that I fly do keep engine blanks/covers in the hold along with a selection of other covers and ties (depending on type). Very handy for an extended or unplanned turnaround/stop over particularly in poor weather conditions such as those we had over the winter in the UK this year.

redsnail
20th Apr 2010, 18:33
We carry the blanks and covers with us. We also use them every day. :ok:

Double Zero
20th Apr 2010, 21:36
JAS,

A good question, and a subject which has cost several hundreds, if not thousands of lives one way or another.

You'll probably have seen the programme about the Airbus which had the pitot/static ducts taped over for painting / washing, such things need a mighty big red flag !

The crew didn't spot it on the walk-round, end result the computer didn't know what was going on, everyone dead.

Even as a 'Spotter' ( much decried but I've flown with ex-Lightning pilots showing a lot less sense ) I encourage you, as you seem knowledgable, to alert aircrew with hand signals if AND ONLY IF, you see them embark and begin to start up - whether external power, APU or engines, and you still see any red flags on fuselage or u/c; people observing from outside are the last defence.

This is not a signal for overnight heroes to start waving, it's extremely rare but important if it does happen.

On a lighter note, the Harrier had inflatable intake blanks, originally intended for Forward Operating Base use, then became more or less standard in the late 1980's - I presume as 'standardisation' ie a few pennies saved; the proper plywood rubber tipped jobs fitted a hell of a lot better, and they weren't cast out of solid gold !

One point, which air and groundcrew will be painfuly aware of; when turning the aircraft sytems on, by external or APU etc power, it's quite important among many other things to ensure the Pitot ( anti-Icing ) Heat is off, otherwise the plasticcy rubber cover will melt, grounding the aircraft for a while - I've known one or two people lose a lot of brownie points and pints later, that way...

On the other hand, I knew a flight test engineer who went through a thorough briefing, including the quite complicated Harrier radio controls; when he was finished, he asked " fine, but what this O.F.F. Mode " ?!

jedigtr
21st Apr 2010, 09:44
The mob I work for have had all the grounded aircraft fitted with all their covers since day one. Unfortunately, an engineer forgot to remove the APU exhaust cover before he started the APU! Result, one slightly secondhand cover that no longer covered anything!;)