PDA

View Full Version : Which Dassault Falcon TR?

Obi Wan Kirk
20th Apr 2010, 04:13
My businesses outside aviation are doing very well so I am thinking of quitting my airline job. This profession isn't what it used to be, you fly a lot more, earn less and get treated badly. However, I'd like to continue to keep my hand in flying maybe 4-5 days per month.

My plan is to get a type rating on a Dassault Falcon and freelance.
Any suggestions on which Falcon to go for?
Falcon 2000, 900 or 7X?

DTY 116.4
20th Apr 2010, 05:03
Obi Wan Kir,

You claim to be a businessman. There are hundreds of unemployed, type-rated and type-experienced pilots out here unable to secure either freelance or full-time work. What on earth convinces you that this will be a good investment?

DTY

Arkwright
20th Apr 2010, 07:58
Dty 116.4 :D

privateer01
20th Apr 2010, 17:01
Location,

If your in an area with a high number of Corporate or private operations.....theres a fairly good chance that being current and qualified will get you a part time job 4 or 5 days a month.

Find out what the most common business jet type is in your area.

Get typed in that and network.

Mach Tuck
20th Apr 2010, 21:30
Much better to network and then get typed...

MT

fjordviking
21st Apr 2010, 05:35
.....by the company.

Dufo
21st Apr 2010, 06:44
I suggest getting typed in all models, then hope for the best.

Trim Stab
21st Apr 2010, 07:23
A company needs to invest even in a freelancer (line check, uniform etc) so freelancers are of little interest if they might only be around for one or two flights. Our company, as an example, therefore only ever employ freelancers who live permanently within an hour of the home airport, and who can be relied upon if they are needed at short notice. Having outside business interests that keep you afloat when not flying is useful, as it means you are possibly not going to be freelancing elsewhere, possibly making your short-notice availability higher.

You will obviously have to pay for your type-rating yourself, but assuming you are prepared to do so, I suggest going to all the airports within an hour of your home, and see what aircraft need pilots.

FLEXJET
21st Apr 2010, 10:17
Based on the Italian registry, the Falcon 2000 (not the EASy version) is the most popular (10 Falcon 2000/2000EX vs 7 Falcon 900/B/EX).
However, I doubt you would be very successful without experience on type.
Do you imagine yourself flying 50-100Hrs a year as -I assume- PIC without previous experience? Do you have any business aviation experience at all?

Obi Wan Kirk
21st Apr 2010, 12:40
The reason I want to go down this route is to keep flying and get back into aircraft sales. I have experience both flying biz jets as well as selling them and doing marketing & sales for private jet charter company.

I even started my own biz jet company and we were fortunate enough to shut it down in Sept 2008 just before buying two Challenger 604s. With the market collapse it didn't make any sense to go ahead with things. My investors were impressed as I had worked hard for 18months to put the whole thing together.
It's not said we will pul the project out of the drawer and get it going again.

I am not too bothered about making a profit from actually flying but I WILL from aircraft sales!

I would be based in Manchester, UK by the way and not in Italy.

DTY 116.4
22nd Apr 2010, 02:45
Obi Wan Kir,

I'm baffled that a man with your extensive experience needs to ask the original question.

Manchester is also a surprising choice of location as there are few operators of medium/heavy iron outside of London.

Why not go the whole hog and buy a type rating on a Gulfstream V/550?You could then try your luck with a well known manufacturing company with such an aircraft ar EMA. From what I hear on the street, a guy such as yourself will be a perfect fit there.

Good luck.

DTY