PDA

View Full Version : Brest Cancer

doubledolphins
26th Oct 2001, 17:45
Are long haul cabincrew more likley to contract this condition than any other set of females of a similar age group. Also if they suspect they have it should they stop flying? Please some one, could you answer this quickly!

Bird Strike
27th Oct 2001, 08:24
I remember seeing some papers on a research carried out in the USA that stated the breast cancer was more common amongst the cabin crew (cannot remember if it was just long haul or mixed). Sorry I cannot remember the source, but you may be able to find it if you do a search on Google or something like that.

I think whether 'suspected breast cancer' is a reason to stop flying as a cabin crew or not is really for a doctor and the sufferer to decide... There may be some regulations on the matter in some countries as well, but I don't know anything further. (By the way most of 'suspected breast cancer' turn out to be benign - there are other conditions that cause breast lumps.) It may be better to have tests done quickly and take time off until the result comes out, if the lady in question is worried about it, particularly if it is affetcting her mental health (ie she is very worried about it to the extent of being unable to concentrate on her duty), but that's only my personal opinion.

[ 27 October 2001: Message edited by: Bird Strike ]

Whirlybird
27th Oct 2001, 14:54
What do you mean by "if they suspect they have it"? I'm not an expert, but I do know that most breast lumps turn out to be benign (non-cancerous), especially in young women. So I wouldn't see any reason to stop flying until it's diagnosed for certain. But that's only a personal opinion.

doubledolphins
28th Oct 2001, 16:10
Thanks for your responses. I am afraid it is a very strong probability, but we will know more on Friday. Fingers crossed!

Waldo P Barnstormer
28th Oct 2001, 19:39
Your query relating to cabin crew being more likely to develop cancers (including breast cancer) is correct. Check out "Risk of Breast Cancer in Female Flight Attendants: A Population Based Study (Iceland)" by Rafnsson et al. The bit you are interested in is:

RESULTS: The total number of person-years was 27,148. Among the women, 64 cancers were observed whereas 51.63 were expected, and significantly increased risk for malignant melanoma was found. Significantly increased risks of overall cancers and breast cancer were observed among the female cabin attendants when 15 years lag time was applied.

As to whether stopping flying would be a good idea, is difficult (impossible) to answer. Certainly they would decrease their chances of developing any new cancers but stopping flying would probably have no influence on the suspected cancer I truly hope will turn out to be benign.

Good luck,

Waldo.

blusky
3rd Nov 2001, 03:25
The research came out in press around January19-20 this year. Higher rates found based upon matching US AFA flight attendants against California State Cancer registry.Full findings from California Dept of Health Services were due to be published in Feb.
Try contacting AFA/ & have a look at aviation Health Institute site as may have some reference.
-agree-don't stop flying till more information

Jon Gulliver
6th Nov 2001, 13:23
The advice about getting tests done ASAP is very good. My wife, who is a skipper, was diagnosed with BC about four years ago. After her GP prevaricated for a few months we took control of the process and made sure that whenever we went to see anyone we wrote down lists of what we wanted to ask before we went, it can be easy to become a bit phased when you are seeing the person. We remained positive, took a lot of advice before doing anything, and most importantly spoke to as many people as possible. I hope the results are good but even if not there are a lot of people who can help, you will be amazed at how many real friends you have. Four years plus down the road everything is looking good, the CAA were very supportive, this will not be a bar to a career in aviation even- good luck!

doubledolphins
6th Nov 2001, 23:34
The lady had her first op today. Bit of a rush but looks like very early stages. Thanks for all your replies. (Atropos in particular, as for some daft reason she wants to go back to work!)I know we will have a lot of suport but its good to get it from the aviation world. Thanks.