PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid and flying

Kermit 180
10th Aug 2001, 13:36
I think I may have an over-active thyroid gland which is affecting my metabolism (ie remaining thin not getting fat when i think i should be), a lolly in the throat feeling and occasional sweats and a feeling of nervousness. Hasnt affeced my flying ability but its uncomfortable at times.

Does anyone of medical knowledge know how this can be treated, and would treatment of the gland affect a pilot medical?

Kermie :(

InFinRetirement
10th Aug 2001, 14:02
You can get medication for both hyper and hypo thyroid problems. The medication just works - by taking a tablet every day.

As I re-call from an AME friend of mine, it usually has no adverse effects and will not affect a Class 1 medical.

Kermit 180
11th Aug 2001, 15:11
Thanks for the info, thats a relief. Cheers.

Kermie :)

miss approach
11th Aug 2001, 16:40
Kermie

You can also have surgery for a over active thyroid (normally when the drugs don't work - as in my case) where a proportion of the gland is removed.

Again no probs getting a Class 1 medical - all I had to do is have some extra blood test afterwards to show that my levels of thyroxin etc were normal again.

Hope this helps

:) :)

Kermit 180
12th Aug 2001, 11:45
Thanks Missdaapproach, very helpful. It seems thyroid problems are very common. Again, thanks for the peace of mind.

Kermie :)

Kermit 180
15th Aug 2001, 11:53
Dracula took some blood today and I have to wait two to three days for te diagnosis. The doctor also now suspects i might have a muscle spasming in my throat which could lead to the same symptoms. If this is the case he says we'll have to look at other options. What could these be? Can't go taking relax-me-quick drugs with a flying job. Any clues?

Kermie http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/stuka2.gif