PDA

View Full Version : Types Of Pilots Lisences

mourgo
19th Apr 2010, 13:16
Can someone explain to me the differences in obtaining your CPL or ATPL in Australia compares to Europe or America? Whats the difference? If I obtain my lisence in Europe and fly for a carrier in Europe for 5 years could I then fly for an Asian carrier?

redsnail
19th Apr 2010, 13:25
The main difference regarding the licenses is cost. The other main difference is the right to work. Eg, I hold a CASA & EASA ATPL but there's no point in me holding a FAA ATPL as I cannot work in the US. (I could get one to operate an N-reg aircraft but I cannot live in the US unless I applied and got a "green card")

So, unless you can live and work in either Europe or the USA, then those licenses are not worth the effort.

Not quite sure where you're getting at regarding an Asian carrier. You can join an Asian carrier after working in Australia. They do not require massive amounts of jet time, turboprop time is acceptable.

You will require to convert to a HKG (or other) license but the company (eg Cathay) takes care of it for you. Likewise the immigration aspect.

The immigration aspect is not taken care of in either Europe or the US, you need to do that yourself. (as well as the license conversion)

LEVC
19th Apr 2010, 14:40
In line with Redsnailīs advice, I sugest you get your training done where you want to work, afterwards, once youīve got your ATPL and some experience under your belt, converting your licence is relatively easy.
The most teddious being the European conversion, because of the need of taking all the ATPL theory exams again no matter whatyour previous experience is.
It seems that converting to FAA is more straightforward and faster process (note I didnīt say easier).
Good luck and enjoy your flying when you start training.:ok:
LEVC