PDA

View Full Version : "Admiral of the Feet" The Lord West

doubledolphins
19th Apr 2010, 10:08
So, still smarting over the fact that the old 5 star rank has been effectively discontinued so he had to retire. Big Al has found a new and innovative way of playing with his old ships.Ark Royal a Cross Channel Ferry? do me a favour. Why oh why, Sir, did you go into politics and screw us all up? Why didn't you go on to the Board of P&O Feries? Like any normal retired admiral would have done. Or are you just another failed waafu with a chip, like all the others?

airborne_artist
19th Apr 2010, 10:56
The great man hasn't lost his skill of spending other people's cash, has he? The world shipping and cruise industry is on its financial backside with vessels clogging up moorings left right and centre. Many can be crewed and ready to move pretty fast for buttons, and for this type of application there are loads of Ro-Ros to choose from. So what does he do - send an aircraft carrier! (yes, I know the other two are not)

Ro-Ros on the Fal:

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Commercial+Ships+Lay+Idle+Cornish+Estuary+3Q-eH76IQbul.jpg

Wrathmonk
19th Apr 2010, 11:22
Ark Royal a Cross Channel Ferry

But this has got to be great news for the RN hasn't it? I mean when the next government try to cancel the new carriers the RN/MOD will be able to say "Remember Op Icelandic Ash Rescue" rather than harp on about power project, the Falklands, no need to rely on host nation support** etc. Joe Public will easily understand the need/requirement for the carriers now and will be reving up the engine of the outrage bus at the tiniest hint of the carriers being axed;)

** and I know the carriers have been involved in far more, it's just a bit of light hearted Monday banter!

Double Zero
19th Apr 2010, 13:06
Wrathmonk,

I reckon you're spot-on !

I'd have thought STUFT ( ships taken up from trade ) made more sense, though a few helicopters - to keep this even vaguely aviation related - might prove handy.

I don't reckon many tourists - except suntanned crumpet - will make it as far as the wardroom, or a helo' for that matter, but the Navy could do with all the good P.R. It can get, and this way there don't have to be excuses about using mud-movers instead of fighters !

thegypsy
19th Apr 2010, 13:52
I suggest all the passengers should remain in the open on the Flight Deck.

Double Zero
20th Apr 2010, 07:21
I thought most of the crew and officers, except a skeleton few of engineers, a Helmsman, Navigator, and token Skipper, being gentlemen would be the ones on deck, while the tourists had their 'hot' bunks ?!

After all, check-in delayed for who knows how long has got to be more stressful for accountants etc needed urgently back in the UK :rolleyes: than highly trained professionals...

Now, as " Ash Cloud II - this time it's personal " is in the offing, we may end up competing with the Chinese for their products from Millets ( BTW how do you mallet in a tent peg without wrecking a CVS flight deck ? ).

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2010, 09:38
Why oh why, Sir, did you go into politics and screw us all up? Why didn't you go on to the Board of P&O Feries? Like any normal retired admiral would have done.

Carnival Corporation & plc Adds Admiral Sir Jonathon Band to Boards of Directors,

P&O Cruises (not linked with P&O Ferries) is part of the Carnival portfolio so Sir Jonathon rather trumps a putative career on P&O Ferries. :}

cazatou
20th Apr 2010, 10:00
It seems that some people have forgotten that there is a General Election due in the near future. The use of RN vessels is required because there is no money left in the kitty to hire Civilian vessels and the RN will not have to comply with "Elf, Safety and Maximum Working Week" legislation.

Of course, something else willl have to go from the Defence Budget to avoid "Overspend".

Double Zero
20th Apr 2010, 10:46
Cazatou,

I'm not too sure about 'Elf'n Safety' being an issue*, but can well imagine union rules and mega-overtime coming into play; then again, why shouldn't it, the police are only evident around here in big BMW's on Sundays, ie serious overtime !

I do believe this country can afford it,- the ships not the police, ever had a break-in ?! - just a case of whose budget loses ( you and I pay in the end anyway ).

Though the photo' of the rafted up Ro-Ro's is very interesting ( have sailed in the Fal a lot a while ago, then it was tankers resting ) a ship, like a vintage aircraft can't be resurrected to life in 5 minutes...I'd have thought ships currently in service and happy with a lucrative charter would be more likely.

* I should think the RN will have Safety rules very much on their minds, as the first idiot to get his **** stuck in an aircraft lift would be onto the Jeremy Kyle show claiming all sorts of mental trauma etc, my heart goes out for the guys who'll have to nursemaid this lot home; Dunkirk it ain't !

airborne_artist
20th Apr 2010, 11:01
Though the photo' of the rafted up Ro-Ro's is very interesting ( have sailed in the Fal a lot a while ago, then it was tankers resting ) a ship, like a vintage aircraft can't be resurrected to life in 5 minutes.

Perhaps HMG should pay the ship-owners a retainer to keep them at 48 hrs readyness state for such an eventuality. Right now it'd be pennies, and Britain would look prepared, rather than looking like a complete crock, which is where we've been taken by Brown and Blair.

Pretty damn obvious to anyone with half a brain that shutting down commercial aviation at a stroke causes huge issues. Four years ago we had the problems with the liquid bombers, so we've had the rehearsal already.