PDA

View Full Version : Hard Impacts

GulfStreamV
24th Oct 2001, 12:59
Sorry to be a bit on the morbid side, but consider an EFATO, and there is no choice but for a very hard impact with trees etc, given a 3 point harness, is it wise to stiffen up (brace yourself - Protect against whiplash) or to loosen up (Not the harness but your body) or is that the least of my worries?

Its a serious question that I have often pondered? Any thoughts.

Not sure if this fitted in Med or Tech, so I've started it here.

GV

Bird Strike
24th Oct 2001, 20:26
I'd have thought it would be the last thing on your mind, but what I would probably do in the circumstance is:-

1) Avoid hitting objects in the first place
2) If 1) seems inevitable, try not to hit it quite so hard, and minise the impact
3) If effort 2) fails, give in and grab a cushion (if there is any) to protect the head and vital organs
4) Crack the door open so that it's less likely that I will get trapped in the wreckage
5) Get the headset and sunglasses off to minimise injury and being trapped by the headset cord

All assuming there is time to do so, of course.

I am not sure whether to tense up or loosen up, but to be honest, I think I'd be rigid with fear and will not have much choice in the matter...

Corporate Yank
25th Oct 2001, 09:31
A while back, some wise old sage said, "If you're really going in, pick the softest, cheapest thing you can see and hit it as slowly as possible". Sounds good to me..CY

crisispilot
26th Oct 2001, 03:03
You can withstand more "g" force by tensing your body up.