PDA

View Full Version : NPPL

deanofs
8th Mar 2002, 12:58
Can anyone shed any light on the medical requirements of the NPPL, I hear the comments of HGV medical, but what does this mean ???

BEagle
8th Mar 2002, 14:05
Final details are still being resolved - it will not be an 'HGV' medical. It is intended that there will be 2 classes, 1 for people who will just be allowed to fly themselves and 1 for those who will be permitted to carry non fare-paying passengers in addition. It should only require a declaration countersigned by your GP - not a separate medical examination.. .. .Should be announced in early Summer 2002.

papercut
13th Mar 2002, 02:57
As Beagle says this is still being developed by the CAA. Interrestingly the drive for the NPPL is a recognition that JAA Class 2 is overly stringent for the guy who just wants to spend the odd few hours a year pootling around the UK. It should be recognised that it will have limitations, such as the obvious one that it is only valid in the UK.. .. .The general idea is that YOUR GP, having access to your full medical record, will sign a declaration to the effect that you meet the standards (or rather don't not meet them!) My feeling, and I've seen no details of the proposals, is that GPs will deal with this in one of two ways. Some will sign anything for a quiet life and the sensible ones will look at the regulations and consider their liablity when you crash your cessna or whatever in the town centre. After all to meet Class 2 (professional HGV/PSV) driving standards requires a medical examination.. .. .There almost certainly will be folks who do not meet the standard. In many cases these could be referred to a local AME for advice. The final arbiter will be the CAA.