PDA

View Full Version : The Racist is leaving!

Barack
19th Apr 2010, 01:02
After his stint in the backwoods of China, Philip :8 is leaving the Swire fold. I guess he thinks that enough time has passed since his damaging testimony that he can leave with a little dignity - not likely!

Good riddance....:D

NgongPing-man
19th Apr 2010, 02:18
Don't be such a pathetic and naive fool, barack. What makes you think Chen's departure will be the beginning of better days? Have you thought of the possiblity of him being replaced by someone far worse? Wake up.

Bograt
19th Apr 2010, 03:34
Wow, got issues much Ping Pong? You could be right about getting someone worse, but I agree with the OP:

Good Riddance :ok:

Captain Dart
19th Apr 2010, 04:07
Good riddance to bad rubbish :D!

What are the chances of getting the food court cleared of M----'s (connected to the subject individual's family) and the swill that they serve? I still miss the stalls serving the Indian food, Thai etc...

&&&
19th Apr 2010, 10:18
Who's the fool Ngong-con-poop? Where does her sugest things will get better? Like all of us we are simply glad the racist is gone.

crwjerk
19th Apr 2010, 18:04
Please Can We Have A Decent Canteen At Cathay City Now????

NgongPing-man
20th Apr 2010, 00:41
Maybe I feel out of the wrong side of the bed this morning but my palate has been dulled by being fed the same crap every day. So will things change? hahaha

Capt Vertigo
21st Apr 2010, 05:19
Have you thought of the possiblity of him being replaced by someone far worse? Wake up.

Very too true statement. Wait till you see something worse. Its all a buisness world! ;)

Like all of us we are simply glad the racist is gone.

He may not be the only racist... there are lot more suttle quite political/racist around in various other outfits and airlines! :=

Happy and safe flying!

moon11
22nd Apr 2010, 08:56
The Racist?? I do not believe so.
He was very helpful to bring Dragon air to Cathay family:ok:

Brown Nose
23rd Apr 2010, 09:36
The Racist?? I do not believe so.

You obviously weren't at the staff business meeting when he stated "When we get rid of all the gweilos"

boocs
23rd Apr 2010, 12:23
Helpful to Dragonair???? Yes they are just going along in leaps and bounds at the moment...... Tomorrow the world!!

b.

Wobblywonker
25th Apr 2010, 08:21
Gweilos is an expression all local chinese use without any malice or racist intent.

He was not a racist, he despised everyone, local and gweilos alike. You see, he was under the illusion he was the best of the best.

In fact, those close to him knew he lived in cloud cukooland. He really believed he could run a virtual airline by outsourcing all functions except sales. He saw all other sections as an unnecessary cost. He talked as though he knew everything and he mistook people's lack of response to his views as agreement. He obviously did not notice the rolled eyes and smirks :rolleyes:

In the end, the more practical Swire princelings saw through the sham and ditched him.

He was placed in charge of China business but when he realised that he was to have nothing to do with the new JV, he woke up and new it was time to go.

Cpt. Underpants
25th Apr 2010, 09:24
He was not a racist

Wasn't he the "Rah Rah" behind the Local Pilots' Union?

Another roaring success. Way to go, Phillip.

Wobblywonker
25th Apr 2010, 11:40
He was behind the Local Pilot Union for the simple reason that he thought he could control the locals.

While he was here, you must admit he was successful. The LPU towed the company line with little resistance. It was part of his strategy to divide and conquer the pilot work force. It had nothing to do with racism.

His ego got the better of him. You see, after so many years of working under a colonial business model, he genuinely believed that his rise to the top was due to his personal brilliance. He treated the locals with more disdain than the gweilos and he would jump at every opportunity to rub his success in their noses .

As I said, he was no racist, he looked down on everyone :}

Brown Nose
25th Apr 2010, 22:04
If he was not a racist, why did he want to "get rid of all the gweilo'' and not the locals? Why did he go on a crusade to only employ local cabin crew?

He was a racist GFI

Capt Vertigo
26th Apr 2010, 00:19
Why did he go on a crusade to only employ local cabin crew?
That is common sense.... cut cost on hiring foreign crew and why not!! :ok:
Cheers and good luck!

NgongPing-man
26th Apr 2010, 01:02
Vertigo, I think you nailed the issue. It's not so much Chen discriminate you due to the colour of your skin, it's because of the extra cost he sees in you. It's very simple. For him, expat=more cost. Believe me, if hiring locals meant more cost, he will suddenly start treating all of you better. It's money, pure and simple. Which is why I warned you all not to go all celebratory mode due to his departure, whoever replaces him will probably do the same regardless of where he is from.

Loiter1
26th Apr 2010, 04:22
I don't care where the cabin crew come from, as long as they can speak some semblance of english. Maybe with some of those savings in not hiring expensive foreigners we can invest in remedial english lessons?

Nullaman
27th Apr 2010, 17:09
Just spotted this:

Today's RTHK online (http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/englishnews/news.htm?main&20100428&56&664112)

Chocks Off
28th Apr 2010, 02:26
hmmm, nice money if you can get it.
richly deserved?? :rolleyes:

Hang Lung Group and its property arm have appointed veteran airline executive Philip Chen as managing director of both companies. He will take over from Nelson Yuen, who will retire in July. Mr Chen will receive an annual salary of HK$21-million and a bonus of HK$5.2-million for the first year.

NgongPing-man
28th Apr 2010, 05:51
Chen's decision is really a no-brainer if you compare his new salary at Hang Lung with the one he got at Swire:

Cathay boss set to fly high with Hang Lung

Derek Yiu

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

After days of intense speculation, the future of outgoing Swire Pacific (0019) heavyweight Philip Chen Nan-lok is now clear.

He will join Hang Lung Group (0010) and subsidiary Hang Lung Properties (0101) as managing director of both firms.
And he will get HK$21 million a year for his services.
Chen - the first Chinese to head Cathay Pacific (0293) - announced on April 19 that he will step down as chairman of John Swire & Sons (China), deputy chairman of Cathay Pacific and all other Swire posts on July 1. He said the decision was prompted by his "desire to pursue other interests."
The shock announcement triggered media speculation that Chen will join PCCW (0008) - which issued an immediate denial - or Hysan Development (0014).
ADVERTISEMENT
http://203.80.0.221/openx-2.6.4/www/delivery/lg.php?bannerid=304&campaignid=247&zoneid=4&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestandard.com.hk%2Fnews_detail.asp%3F pp_cat%3D30%26art_id%3D97525%26sid%3D27882666%26con_type%3D1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com.hk%2Fnews%2Fsearch%3Faq %3Df%26cf%3Dall%26ned%3Dus%26hl%3Den%26q%3DPhilip+Chen&cb=87056ac5fe
Hang Lung chairman Ronnie Chan Chi-chung said he looks forward to working closely with Chen, and that their appointment talks began "a few months ago."
"Chen is a well-rounded person, with experience in all aspects and also has a good personality," Chan said. "I think he is a management professional who is hard to come by," he told The Standard.
Chan said though Chen lacks property experience, the departing Swire executive will prove to be a good leader for Hang Lung's property experts.
"I believe the group will have bright prospects with Chen as managing director," he said.
Chen will succeed Nelson Yuen Wai-leung on July 15.
That is the day Yuen retires after 32 years of service with the group to become a board adviser. He has been managing director for the past 17 years.
Chan noted Chen's pay will be "exactly the same" as Yuen's was because he will have similar responsibilities.
According to Hang Lung's statement to the bourse, Chen is, apart from the HK$21 million a year, entitled to a bonus of HK$5.2 million at the end of June next year.
In addition, Chen will be granted the option to apply for 10 million Hang Lung Properties shares and receive a director's fee from Hang Lung Group.
His total remuneration from the Swire Group in 2008 and 2009 was HK$15.1 million and HK$14.2 million, respectively.
Hang Lung Group closed down 3.3 percent at HK$39 and Hang Lung Properties ended 2.7 percent down at HK$29.20 before Chen's appointment was announced.

freightdog188
4th May 2010, 14:40
the racist is leaving but his legacy remains:

"Cathay Pacific yesterday pledged that the trial scheme for the arrangement of Thai flight attendants taking over from local cabin crew would terminate in late May. If there is any trial scheme in the future, they would consult with the union in advance."

so no more new Thai girls in the cabin, only more HK girls.
Just as the company woke up from the "one team one dream" hallucination and started to look overseas again..
But HK girls are oh so famous for their desire to please and serve customers. "CANNOT, run from galley to galley and pretend to be busy, *smack* here's your meal, CANNOT .."

Neptunus Rex
4th May 2010, 15:08
Twenty years ago, Cathay proudly advertised along the lines - "Cabin crew from eleven Asian Nations!"
From a SLF viewpoint, the best Chief Pursers were, in alphabetical order, Indian, Japanese, Malaysian, Singaporean and Thai. The rest of the crew took their lead from them and were great. The Chinese were sometimes exceptional, but not with the same consistency as the others. Then the Cantonese Mafia gained control and standards started to drop. Compare the service these days on other Asian and Gulf carriers and see the difference.