PDA

View Full Version : What piston airliners flying these days?

Mechta
18th Apr 2010, 21:31
I nearly spat my tea across the room when I heard a government minister just say they were, 'investigating what piston engined airliners were available to help get stranded passengers back to the UK'.

Apart from a handful of Trilanders (are they still flying?), and Air Atlantique's fleet, what could be rustled up?

Could we see Wroughton's Connie in the air?:ok: It might take a few XC99s to make a difference though...:}

Herod
18th Apr 2010, 21:34
I always knew this so-called "jet" would be a flash in the pan.

PEI_3721
18th Apr 2010, 22:37
Via last years series of ‘Ice Pilots’ (Discovery Channel), Buffalo Airways in Yellowknife (NWT), still operates a passenger service with a DC-3 (C-47), and C-46 and DC-4 aircraft as freighters.

Stationair8
19th Apr 2010, 08:07
Good thing that the EU grounded those remaining DC-3/C-47's a few years back!

tail wheel
19th Apr 2010, 09:50
Apart from a handful of Trilanders ....

Even Paris to London you'd need a tent, cut lunches and a Shell road map! :}

VX275
19th Apr 2010, 11:05
The Lancaster was designed as a 'Bomber Transport' so maybe some lucky barstewards will get a trip in PA474 :rolleyes:

Mechta
19th Apr 2010, 12:16
A quick wikipedia search revealed that BA looked at buying some new build Trilanders a couple of years ago. Did they have a vulcanologist on the staff?

The owners of that AN-2 at Popham must be rubbing their hands with glee!

tail wheel
19th Apr 2010, 13:03
There was a Twin Pioneer for sale in Australia....... :}

I'm sure the turbine fleet could be pressed into short haul service as European sectors are relatively short. But who would meet the operating cost difference? Not Government, I'll bet.

EDMJ
19th Apr 2010, 20:43
[QUOTE]Good thing that the EU grounded those remaining DC-3/C-47's a few years back!/QUOTE]

It was only in the UK that new regulations were (mis)interpreted to mean "grounding". DC-3/C-47's continue to fly passengers in Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland (well, probably not just now..) and in Germany (D-CXXX; fully certified for commercial operations).

Then of course there are also five passenger carrying Ju 52/3m and Red Bull's DC-6 in Europe...

yoganmahew
19th Apr 2010, 20:48
Ju52s landing in Kent, eh?

JEM60
19th Apr 2010, 21:28
JU 52s been landing at Duxford for years, every July.

obnoxious
19th Apr 2010, 22:02
2 DC4s at North Weald!

pigboat
20th Apr 2010, 01:58
Even Paris to London you'd need a tent, cut lunches and a Shell road map!
And a calendar for the time enroute. ;)

Runaround Valve
20th Apr 2010, 07:29
The last Douglas DC-6B ever built is still flying in Namibia in Southern Africa. It is in a passenger configuration and does tours. It will be coming to Australia next year for a tour. Have a Google to find out more.

JEM60
20th Apr 2010, 18:02
North Weald C54s definately non-fliers.

Batchy
20th Apr 2010, 20:23
Lets put the DC3 back into production, they always said it was irreplaceable.

Alternatively there are two Connies in Europe that could be flown.

http://www.superconstellation.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9LDAVDy0w

Batchy.

Brit312
20th Apr 2010, 21:14
Sadly, both these aircraft are at this time unable to fly. Nice video though

skyfish2
21st Apr 2010, 20:42
OH for the sound of real aeroplanes in the sky, might well happen, we can only go further back with this shower in power!!

Proplinerman
24th Apr 2010, 07:09
Ash cloud leads KLM to return the DC6B to service.

In a dramatic response to the ash cloud crisis, KLM returned a DC6B to the skies to ferry stranded passengers around Europe. Here we see the aircraft arriving over Hamburg, cruising serenely through the ash cloud which has grounded jetliners.

Flickr Photo Download: 668overHamburg140907DC6ae (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48975048@N06/4527987200/sizes/o/)

much2much
25th Apr 2010, 11:32
A think a tent may be a little over the top perhaps a good stock of ships biscuits and plenty of fresh lime to prevent the onset of scurvy in case of stonger than forcast head winds

Proplinerman
25th Apr 2010, 18:41
I actually flew from Coventry to Hamburg and back by DC3 (Air Atlantique) in September 2007, via Lelystad going, direct on the way back.

For me of course, as a dedicated propliner enthusiast, the trip was an absolute dream-by far the longest flight I have ever done in a pistonliner. Also, although obviously it took much longer than the equivalent flight by jet, it wasn't actually as slow as you might think, because we flew at 1500/2000 feet, (at 125 mph), but in a DC3 flying at this height, you simply take off, set course for your destination (no hills in Holland or, I presume, on the north German plain), climb to 1500 feet, then fly straight to your destination. No messing around following airways or stacking.

It would give today's air passengers initially, a rude awakening to travel in such an aircraft, but I think they would come to appreciate its charm and the fantastic views. Mind you, that last bit's probably just wistful thinking.

Here is the aircraft I flew on:

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-AMPY (CN: 26569) Air Atlantique Douglas C-47B Skytrain by Michael Blank (http://tinyurl.com/2voy9bz)

And for a real taste of nostalgia, take a look at this interior shot:

Flickr Photo Download: 668 16-9-07 in flight Hamburg-Coventry in AA DC3 G-AMPY No smoking sign (http://tinyurl.com/38qfcxw)

Bring back the pistonliners!

Pull what
3rd May 2010, 14:07
So where is the nearest place to the UK where you can get a ride on a piston engine airliner?

adfly
3rd May 2010, 14:56
Southampton to Alderney on bnr trislanders

Proplinerman
3rd May 2010, 16:24
Yes but a Trislander is hardly an "airliner," it's too small to qualify for that title in my opinion. I think you would have to go to Holland to fly on the Dutch Dakota Association's DC3.

flythisway
4th May 2010, 08:54
Are Air Alantique not operating any more then?

Planemike
4th May 2010, 17:26
Proplinerman...........

Wonder why you exclude the Trislander? It operates a public passenger transport service i.e. anyone can buy a ticket, not a charter or private service. A small airliner, granted, but nonetheless an airliner.

Planemike.........

Herod
4th May 2010, 19:46
The Trislander also has the advantage that every seat is a window seat. Flew them many years ago; a splendid little aeroplane.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th May 2010, 11:45
I haven't seen any mention of this fine machine;

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/2/4/1652426.jpg

The AVRO Nineteen was certainly built as an airliner and the original AVR 652 was deigned as one.

If GKY no longer flies, I'm sure someone will quickly set me straight.

treadigraph
5th May 2010, 12:01
'HKY is based and flies with the Shuttleworth Collection. Air Atlantique's Classic Flight operate G-BFIR.

DC-3s are presently barred from carrying passengers in the UK due to some regulation or other but there was talk about this being overturned in some way...

Proplinerman
5th May 2010, 20:01
"Are Air Alantique not operating any more then?"

Sorry, forgot about them: you can still fly with them, on a regular basis, in their Dragon Rapides-pleasure flights across the UK.

PaperTiger
10th May 2010, 15:49
JU 52s been landing at Duxford for years,and some at Biggin in the 1970s, although to be precise they were CASAs.

Wander00
10th May 2010, 16:24
DC3 just flew over our village in France - too far away for pic unfortunately

Tyres O'Flaherty
11th May 2010, 05:30
LH are supposed to be refurbing a Connie for nostalgia flights, there was a thread on here, that was getting updates from someone involved in the project, can't remember the title

Now that I'd love to do :ok:

Cymmon
11th May 2010, 07:56
Try Loganairs inter-Island flights in the Orkneys.

Fair deal, it´s an Islander but I got Kirkwall-Westray-Papa Westray-North Ronaldsay-Kirkwall for £30 along with a certificate commemorating my trip on the "Worlds shortest scheduled flight" and a small bottle of Whisky.
Unfortunately I had to drink the whisky before my flight to Edinburgh due to the liquid restrictions...:ok:

Proplinerman
20th May 2010, 05:46
Re the Lufthansa Connie project: it's actually a Starliner they're refurbishing and here is a link to the project's website.

Return of the "Super Star" | Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin Stiftung (http://tinyurl.com/ybs7v63)

NQFlyboy
22nd May 2010, 23:22
We still have a Connie flying in Oz. It's a regular visitor to airshows around the country. It landed a couple of years ago at Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays where I live. Sorry I only found out about it after the event. In addition there are quite a number of DC3's still flying in Australia.

Bring back the props !!!

411A
23rd May 2010, 03:42
As a guy who has actually flown a DC-6B in airline service (many years ago) I will tell you that...the DC-6B was absolutely the most economical 4-engine piston type to ever have been used in airline service.

A combination of 'just the right size' and extremely reliable engines.
400 US gallons/hour whilst cruising at 260 knots TAS.

NB.
My Dad was engineering project manager on the type at Douglas...DC-7, too.
The DC-7 was a bit of a disappointment.
Yes, it was a fast cruiser and a long ranger, however....it burned more oil than a Stratocruiser and the engines were not that reliable, sadly.
However, it was fast, 300 knots, plus.

WHBM
25th May 2010, 21:02
The DC-7 was a bit of a disappointment.
Something of an understatement there ! It seems the DC7 (whose achilles heel was the Wright engines) was even worse than the comparably-engined Constellation. The Connie seemed to have a lot of emotional support (still does) and operators persevered with it, whereas the DC6 operators who moved on to the DC7 just got hacked off with it in short order. Some operators (like American) scrapped their whole substantial fleets of them after 5 years service when the jets came along, whereas older DC6s lasted much longer and had resale value for years beyond.

The Wright engine was known by the mid 1950s to be second rate compared to Pratts. Why ever did Douglas, market leaders at the time, make the change ? Notably the DC6 continued in production throughout the DC7's build time.

411A
26th May 2010, 02:43
Why ever did Douglas, market leaders at the time, make the change ?

Simple reason.
It was the only engine available capable of the fuel economy and BHP able to lift the weight required, and provide the long range desired.

The only other engine that had the BHP was the R4360, and it was...
a) too heavy
b) consumed too much fuel.