PDA

View Full Version : Another Ash Cloud Thread - state of emergency

ExRAFRadar
18th Apr 2010, 10:32
At what point does the goverment of the UK declare this a state of emergency ?

Is it a state of emergency type inicdent ?

My partner, daughter and the family are all stuck in egypt, due to fly home Tuesday which looks highly unlikely. The resort they are staying at is now has a sizeable population that should have been home 3 days ago.

They report people running out of money, sleeping on sun loungers, kids getting scared etc etc.

The goverment has not said a word about this event and yet it has had a bigger impact than post 9/11.

At what point does some sort of emergency planning kick in and we start to see fleets of coaches heading for Europe to bring people home ? Would this even be possible ?

Appreciate it is not a spotter thing but am interested in people's views.

ptr120
18th Apr 2010, 12:14
This incident is not having a baring on the safety or security of the nation, so why on earth should the Government declare a state of emergency, and even if they did, what difference would that make?

The fact is that it is possible to get back from Egypt by land and sea. Not nice, and it takes a long time, but I know some who have done it.

your comparisson to 9/11 is poor. Thousands died in that incident. In this case, the damage is not much more than inconvenience and expense. Running out of money at their destination? Thats down to poor planning, but the likes of Western Union can always be used by resourceful individuals who try to HELP THEM SELVES! Kids getting scared? Of a few more days by the pool and a couple of days off school or by panicky parents?

May I humbly suggest that your worries should be with those who's livelihoods are being hurt by this?

PPRuNe Pop
18th Apr 2010, 12:33
There are already 5 threads on this and that is too many!