PDA

View Full Version : Will Volcano distruptions cause Cargo carriers to close down?

Sleeping Freight Dog
17th Apr 2010, 21:54
We all know what is happening across Europe because of the volcanic ash. Was reading a report that flowers and veggies are having to be destroyed in Kenya now because there is no way to get the goods to market in Europe. Will this series of action cause a fall out in the cargo operators that like to purvey at Ostend, Maastrict, Vatry, Brussels et al?

If MK hadn't already shut down, this surely would have been the nail in the coffin. How are the carriers that frequent Europe/Africa doing at this point?

scrivenger
18th Apr 2010, 06:40
Well I for one will not be able to survive without my sugar snap peas and mangetout!

GlueBall
18th Apr 2010, 17:32
But there is life beyond Europe.

CargoMatatu
18th Apr 2010, 19:19
There is? :}

rotary
18th Apr 2010, 20:15
I hope it doesn't last much longer.

Flying boxes pays for the house, wife, kids.
Certainly don't want to see lay offs. No such thing as furloughs here. You are given your P45, unemployment form, and its good luck.

Hopefully we shall see some improvement during the week,

Acid-drop
19th Apr 2010, 08:19
I think the cargo world suffers a lot ...
LGG is completely closed, TNT is using its road network to continue the transit but other companies that carry a lot of perishable are completely stopped.
We may see the difference in the supermarket in a few days ...

sprocky_ger
19th Apr 2010, 08:53
A difference in supermarket? Hm, maybe in terms of cheep flowers. A lot of the stuff is moved on a ship. My uncle workes for a fruit import company. The only difference for him is that he is not able to travel to the ports were the fruits are loaded on the ship. A difference that may occur is a higher pricing.

411A
19th Apr 2010, 13:51
Euroland seems to have a somewhat less than desired coordinated effort with regards the present airspace closure, and I suspect this will drive many shippers to other modes of transport for the longer term....so yes, for airfreight to/from Europe, it will take a rather large hit....perhaps fatal for some smaller underfunded companies.

G&T ice n slice
19th Apr 2010, 15:46
FWIW - there is a definite shift to sea for quite a range of traditional 'air' cargoes, such as fruit/veg/flowers. The complete halt in the air supply-chain will undoubtedly have the big buyers looking at ways to further decrease the reliance on air.

kwaheri
19th Apr 2010, 17:37
for all those of us who are allergic to poverty we better pray the ash clears off because we cant take another week of it!!:E

muduckace
20th Apr 2010, 03:37
Most large package carriers have "act of god" clauses in their guaranteed service. Other than perishables on the market side the short downswing will result in heavy catch up business as airways open up. Not to mention there is opportunity in chaos that may generate more business as a result as the shortage of some merchandise increases prices on the market they supply as a result of demand.