PDA

View Full Version : Worst case scenario ashcloud?

alexmcfire
17th Apr 2010, 12:41
So let say the ashcloud continues for 5 years, what would be the option for the aviation industry. Could the Tu-136 be an option, flying using LNG can it be done in these circumstances?

mrdeux
17th Apr 2010, 13:27
There would be no aviation industry. No tourism industry either I guess. What's worse than a depression?

LNG has nothing to do with it. If the engine breathes air, then it will end up with glass accreting on the blades. It gets into avionics and pitot systems.

topper3
17th Apr 2010, 13:40
With any luck a huge meteorite will hit the earth and land directly in the volcano's crater. Unfortunately though we'll end up having to deal with the meteorite's dust cloud. Either way we are DOOOOMED!!!!! :sad:

Regards,

a very bored grounded pilot

bhxfan
17th Apr 2010, 17:59
I think a 5 year eruption is pretty much geologically impossible, but if hypothetically it did happen, then I suppose there would have to be a complete rethink of transportation in Europe, and if Europe wants to survive economically, it will need to happen fast. High speed rail would need to happen in a big way asap and airports in Southern Europe (assuming it remained less affected) would quickly have to be developed as Europe's air hub.

Mike7777777
17th Apr 2010, 20:55
Flying boats for everyone! Where's TB2 when it's needed?