PDA

View Full Version : feelings of detachment

teropa
28th Feb 2002, 14:59
I guess this is also regarded as a somewhat "sensitive" topic, since it deals with mental health (or neurology actually).

Has anyone ever had feelings of detachment, i.e. depersonalization. To explain this a bit more, it feels like:

- your body feels not your own. .- you feel detached from your own self, i.e. ME. .- overall feeling may be "spacey"

just out of curiousity...

SID555
28th Feb 2002, 22:17
Yes, it's a very common symptom of clinical depression. 'Depersonalization' and 'derealisation' are slightly different. Depersonalization is where the person feels to be 'outside' of their body, 'derealisation' is where there feels to be an air of unreality about everything.

Often will present with loss of concentration, co-ordination, fatigue, memory loss and unusual headaches, rather like the feeling of a 'film' over the brain.

GPs are very aware of this symptom and will usuall diagnose depression if it is present wth some or all of the other symptoms above. If you are suffering this symptom (and I assume you are), see your doctor. But also be aware that a diagnosis of depression that is treated with anti-depressants will lead to temporary loss of medical certificate.

You are right this is a sensitive subject, especially for pilots, good luck.

[ 01 March 2002: Message edited by: SID555 ]</p>