PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure FAA/JAR

Starlight
4th Aug 2001, 07:27
Very specific question.

Some countries allow higher than normal BP if it can be corrected by medication. Others do not.

Does anyone know the status for a Class 1 medical for:

1. FAA
2. UK/JAA
3. JCAB

Starlight

Captain Airclues
9th Aug 2001, 00:18
The JAR-FCL 3 limit is 160/95. It can be corrected by medication so long as it remains below this figure after correction.

Airclues

Starlight
10th Aug 2001, 11:56
Thanks Captain Airclues.

Just to clarify, most of these drugs require on-going medication to keep things under control. I assume this is OK

Starlight

Rommel
13th Aug 2001, 05:37
Starlight,
Providing there is no underlying disease with the elevated BP,you can hold a class 1 medical as Air Clues says,on medication,providing the limits are met.
The medication is either in the form of beta blockers,or ACE inhibitors,both are taken in tablet form DAILY.Naturally,it helps to continue to monitor your diet,weight,stress and exercise regulalrly.Your friendly AME will advise you accordingly.Good luck.
Rommel.

Starlight
16th Aug 2001, 14:16
Thanks Rommel,

All under control (in the manner which you have suggested). My concern, after the obvious health implications, was the licensing (read 'income' and 'eating' :) ) issue in certain jurisdictions.

Anyone else on the JAR and JCAB status?

Starlight

Bird Strike
16th Aug 2001, 15:37
Starlight,

JCAB

95mmHg-160mmHg / 50mmHg-95mmHg

Starlight
17th Aug 2001, 06:38
Thanks Bird Strike,

Do you know if they allow the use of appropriate medication to maintain these levels?

Starlight

Hamrah
20th Aug 2001, 11:21
Thanks for this guys. Whether it's the stress of running an airline, or keeping an eye on Jetblast, but the dreaded Blood Pressure has grounded me as well.

The CAA has sent me the list of test they need done. But it's reassuing to know that I can return to flying provided there are no side effects to the Beta Blockers, or no underlying disease or other medical problems.

Looks like Caffreys is off-limits for a while :)

H

Bird Strike
20th Aug 2001, 19:18
Starlight,

Apparently some medications are acceptable, including beta blockers and some diuretics. You need to have been stable on the particular dosage for at least one month and come within the BP range mentioned above. Some combination of medications may be acceptable with special permission as well.

Let me know if you want to know the exact types of medications that are acceptable. I should be able to find out for you. Alternatively you can send me an e-mail with the name of the meds you want to know the acceptability of, and I'll find out specifically if it's OK or not.

A list of acceptable BP medication below, for FAA:

Diuretics
Thiazides (HCTZ, Diuril, Hydrodiuril, Oretic, Enduron)
Triamterene (Dyrenium)
Spironolactone (Aldactone)
Bumetanide (Bumex)
Furosemide (Lasix)
Torsemide (Demadex)
Metolazone (Zaroxolyn, Mykrox)
Indapamide (Lozol)
Combinations (Dyazide, Maxzide, Moduretic)
Beta Blockers
Acebutolol (Sectral)
Atenolol (Tenormin, Tenoretic)
Betaxolol (Kerlone)
Bisoprolol (Zebeta, Ziac)
Carteolol (Cartrol)
Carvedilol (Coreg)
Labetalol (Normodyne, Trandate)
Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol)
Nadolol (Corgard, Corzide)
Penbutolol (Levatol)
Pindolol (Visken)
Propranolol (Inderal, Inderide)
Timolol (Blocadren, Timolide)
Alpha Blockers
Doxazosin (Cardura)
Phenoxybenzamine (Dibenzyline)
Terazosin (Hytrin)
Prazosin (Minipress, Minizide)
Calcium Channel Blockers
Diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac)
Verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Veralan, Tarka)
Mibefradil (Posicor)
Amlodipine (Norvasc, Lotrel)
Felodipine (Plendil, Lexxel)
Isradipine (DynaCirc)
Nicardipine (Cardene)
Nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia)
Nisoldipine (Sular)
Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors
Quinapril (Accupril)
Ramipril (Altace)
Captopril (Capoten, Capozide)
Trandolapril (Mavik)
Fosinopril (Monopril)
Lisinopril (Prinivil, Prinzide, Zestril, Zestoretic)
Moexipril (Univasc, Unitrec)
Enalapril (Vasotec, Vaseretic)
Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists
Irbesartan (Avapro)
Losartan (Cozaar, Hyzaar)
Valsartan (Diovan)

Bear in mind they may be called something else if you're not in the US. I hope this may be of some use to you.

Hamrah,

Sorry to hear of your predicament.
I have a few relatives with high BP and they have managed to reduce it quite a bit with simple dietary changes... the most effective one has been reducing salt intake (at least Caffreys doesn't have salt in it does it!?) It won't do you harm to reduce salt intake (as long as you do get certain amount), so it may be worth a try.

Wishing you all the best with getting your medical reinstated.

(I won't post anything that raises your BP in JB until you get your medical back, I promise!)

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: Bird Strike ]

Starlight
6th Sep 2001, 13:03
Thanks All,

So it would appear that FAA, JACB and JAR all accept BP correction/maintenance using approved medication.

Bird Strike thanks in particular for the info. (Happily using Irbesartan 75mm, no side effects)

Hamrah,

Also sorry to hear of your predicament. Hope it's back now. I was fortunate, in that I observed a colleague go through the process. When my BP approached the limits on a renewal, I was able to take the appropriate steps prior to the next one.

Thanks again all.

Starlight