PDA

View Full Version : IFR CHECK LIST for Helicopters

Sax412
16th Apr 2010, 22:08
I know the topic could appear to be old and already discussed, anyhow I would really appreciate the chance of having your ideas about what is for you the best IFR CHECKLIST dedicated to helicopters. Thank you all mates!:)

Sax412
17th Apr 2010, 08:33
... don't be scrooge guys ... :)

212man
17th Apr 2010, 08:56
Item 1 is currently : 'Check for volcanic ash!':E

Personally, I don't believe there is a real need for them if sound SOPs are in place, but it really depends on the level of currency and familiarity. We tend not to fly alot of IFR so when the opportunity arises it's an unfamiliar environment. Therefore I have included some additional guidance on the reverse of the normal checklist to act as an aide-memoire. My preference would be to not have it at all, and certainly the intent is that it is not a read and do list, but just to confirm the set up has been carried out correctly and all items covered.

In reality, though, if you use the Jepessen briefing strip diligently and use each briefing item to cross-check the relevant item in the cockpit - such as ILS course on the plate vs that set on the HSI, Sector MSA vs actual altimeter setting etc - then there's not much else to check.

Fixed wing airline pilots fly IFR pretty much all the time and have very little in the way of checklist items - mostly surrounding altimeters - and are normally covered in their descent checks. SOPs and discipline are the key!

Someone like Thidl Op Des can give a better insight into the differences - he's ex rotary and now an A340 TRI.

Epiphany
17th Apr 2010, 09:11
The one provided by your company is probably your best bet. This should include your pre-flight Navaid and Instrument check. We then just brief on the IFR plate prior to the approach as the company has standard IFR SOP's which makes things easier.

Nice to hear someone from your country asking about checklists. In my experience at Vergiate they are usually viewed as an emasculating device best used as a sun visor.

212man
17th Apr 2010, 09:27
Following on from what I was saying above, the following are the airborne checks for the B737 and A320 - I think it illustrates my point!

B737
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/S92ctc/B737.jpg
A320
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/S92ctc/A320.jpg

Sax412
17th Apr 2010, 09:28
In my least opinion, an IFR checklist is a MUST in real IFR/IMC condition, no matter what your experience is.
Epiphany, you're saying I should double check my sexual orientation ? :):):)

Thridle Op Des
17th Apr 2010, 09:50
Since 212man kindly thought I could contribute to the discussion, here goes: (despite spelling my name wrong - again!)
Having been dragged into the world of an SOP run operation - somewhat kicking and screaming (it requires effort to learn - something not everyone is always prepared to do), I really think this is the only way to go for rotary as well. I'm sure many of us remember the instrument check palaver we used in the old days where half the fuel was consumed prior to departing.

As long as proper scan flows are set up and the briefings are about things we 'may not know' rather than things we 'do know' then it makes life easier for the pilots concerned to ensure that they can predict with a degree of certainty what their 'other half' on the flight deck will do. If those predictions are not met then there is room for the crew to challenge each other.

We have three airborne check lists, to be honest the After TO check list has three items and is frequently chosen not to be applied by some airlines (including us until fairly recently). As 212man said, the purpose of the check list is to ensure that items have been done, and is not a read-and-do. Our check lists in the air focus on a number of items:

Altimeters: SOPs are good for this, but we are introducing what we call Barometric Vertical Navigation procedures, if we are on the wrong setting, it will at the very least cause a deal of fright. We are using the baro as vertical guidance for approaches which don't have ground based vertical guidance.

Aircraft Status: Does the aircraft have a failure which prevents the proposed approach being carried out or will the minima have to be increased (also how hard will it be to stop on the runway when you get there - not usually a rotary problem).

Briefings: Have they been done, not - now is the time to do them! Do we need to do a mini-brief to cater for a changing situation?

Cabin Crew & Pax: Do they know we are about to land, are they ready?

Electronic Checklist: On the 'bus we have an ECAM memo for TO and LDG, are there items which have been missed?

You notice that the check list makes no mention of niff-naff like undercarriage, landing lights, nav idents, etc since the SOP caters for those items and we have lots of warning if we leave the gear up.

A key part of the SOPs is a good brief as mentioned above. We use CTWO for departure and CTWO-F for approach.

Charts: Which Ones
Terrain: Is it a threat?
Weather: Is that a threat as well?
Operational: See example below.

Fuel: What are our options for holding or diverting.

The idea is to brief the threats (stuff we don't always know), for example; Addis Ababa:
"High terrain big split between IAS and TAS, Wet Runway, we will use Max reverse with Auto Brake Low. I'm expecting to have to visually transition from a 3.4 slope on the GPS approach to a 3.0 slope on the PAPIs and may exceed 1000 fpm ROD slightly to achieve this. Once we touch down, we will lose sight of the end of the runway because of the hump in the middle and I will aim to turn off at the end to keep the brakes from getting too warm. Air traffic are not brilliant, if there are any doubts we will double check before accepting a clearance. Can you think of any other threats?".

We have a total of 14 separate checks in three groups, as I said before, the three After TO checks are often not used, so that's really 11. It's the kind of number you should be aiming for IMHO, as well as having a robust well written SOP.

212man
17th Apr 2010, 10:59
In my least opinion, an IFR checklist is a MUST in real IFR/IMC condition, no matter what your experience is.

Ok, so what sort of things do you think MUST be in this checklist? Let's consider the jepessen briefing strip I mentioned:

It includes the radio frequencies and navaid(s) to be used - do you then need a checklist to tell you to confirm the radio/navaid frequencies and ident them?

It tells you the course for final approach - do you need a checklist to tell you to set up the CDI or select an appropriate Bearing Pointer (RMI needle)?

It tells you the MSA - maybe that's a useful cross-check of the QNH/Altimeter setting?

It tells you the DA/MDA - do you need to have a checklist tell you to set the Radalt and/or Minimums bugs?

It describes the Missed Approach procedure - clearly you'll brief that anyway, but do you need a checklist to tell you to set up standby frequencies on the Navaids to fly this? Or to program the approach into your FMS/GPS?

Maybe when you brief the missed approach you can outline the options for a further approach or the diversion?

So, with the above covered by a single briefing strip, combined with SOPs, what else do you want to see?

Turn the weather radar on?
Turn the Pitot heaters on if it's cold?
Turn the landing lights on inside the TMA?
Select appropriate ranges and overlays on your Nav Display?

Checklists should not be 'flying helicopters for dummies' lists, or a crutch to lean on without which we become lost (no pun intended,) they should used to confirm essential items have been done which will prevent harm if misssed - like the altimeter setting when descending from Flight Levels. NASA research (they don't just fly to the moon, oh actually, they don't do that either anymore!) refers to these items as 'killer items.' Google Degani and Wiener for some of the research papers on the topic.

Sax412
17th Apr 2010, 21:44
Checklists should not be 'flying helicopters for dummies' lists, or a crutch to lean on without which we become lost (no pun intended,) they should used to confirm essential items have been done which will prevent harm if misssed - like the altimeter setting when descending from Flight Levels. NASA research (they don't just fly to the moon, oh actually, they don't do that either anymore!) refers to these items as 'killer items.' Google Degani and Wiener for some of the research papers on the topic.

Ok you got the point. I need exactly this kind of stuff to be provided to different pilots of extremely different experience I fly with.
This means also that we are in a lack of SOP situation. Many of these guys are facing Jeppesen Charts almost for the first time so again yes, I do need something to remind them the basic. It would be nice to have a Checklist that covers all the phase of an IFR flight from the off block to back again to the parking spot. I know there are many around I was just wandering if in the world of the rotorheads there were any already tailored to a turbine helicopter, so not dealing with flaps, air mixture and so on, yet covering what should be both in an SOP and in a normal "your style" checklist.
As last, there are more dummies in the air you can think about and this doesn't mean we don't have to help them to become professionals sometimes passing through obvious things.

212man
18th Apr 2010, 12:45
Sax,
I didn't meant to cause offence with my use of the word 'dummies' - I was making a reference to that series of books that are available for a range of topics (such as "Microsft Excel for dummies.")

You obviously have a problem to solve, but it is still not clear to me to what extent the information you need to give your pilots should be explained in the operations manual versus contained in a checklist. I'll try and dig some example out for you later.

Sax412
18th Apr 2010, 17:29
Thank you 212 for understanding the situation.
To summarize everything what I'm looking for is a checklist being as much detailed and comprehensive as possible that could be valid even in case of a "missing or let's say not good operational manual".

Thank you again for your time help and support.

Phrogman
18th Apr 2010, 22:46
Were you looking for something like this?

INSTRUMENT APPROACH BRIEF
The following items shall, as a minimum, be covered as they
apply:
1. Approach (ex. ILS RWY 9 to Wherever Regional).
2. Communications/Navaids/Courses
(outbound, inbound, etc.).
3. IAF/Turn Point/FAF.
4. Altitudes.
5. Airspeed(s)/Ground speed and Timing.
6. Intentions at DH/MDA
7. Nav Control/Flight Director Use.
8. RADALT Bug Use.
9. NVG Usage.
10. Crew Duties.
a. Pilot controlled lighting.
b. RWY orientation at MAP.
11. Complete Landing Checklist.

Hope it helps.

John Eacott
18th Apr 2010, 22:58
Sax412,

There should also be a pre take off check for IFR, which hasn't been mentioned. If you are off on an IFR flight, a normal IF Instrument Check would include:

Attitude Indicators Check (in the hover, pitch nose up/nose down, AI follows, same left bank/right bank)

Compass/HSI Pedal left/right, check all HSIs/compasses follow

Navaids On ground, tune and ident a local aid and check needle

I have a few IF check lists which you may find helpful, but most are helicopter type specific.

430EMSpilot
18th Apr 2010, 23:45
Nothing fancy but I've used this one for quite a while.

A little messy with the cut and paste...

APPROACH

6. Passenger Briefing................................COMPLETED

7. ATIS /AWOS....................................................NOTE

8. Avionics.................................TUNE/IDENTIFY/SET

9. Navigation Switching..........................ILS/VOR/LNV

10. Procedure turn/FAF Altitude..........................NOTE

11. Final Approach Course......................................SET

12. MDA/DH.....................SET RADAR ALTIMETER

13. MAP (Timing/DME Fix)................................NOTE

14. Missed Approach Procedure...........................NOTE

15. Pilot Controlled Lighting.......................ACTIVATE

16. Landing Lights.....................................................O N

17.Radar................AS REQUIRED

Sax412
19th Apr 2010, 06:53
Thank you guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for that I will eventually assemble in the final one best matching my situation,

John, I would really appreciate if you could share the other checklists since what I'm looking for should be helicopter specific.

Thank you all again,
Sax

echelipilot
24th Apr 2010, 15:25
Hi Sax,
I hope this one will help you.
BEFORE ENGINE START

Cockpit check perform PF
ATIS / WX check / read PNF
> QNH set on Standby Altimeter PNF
Start-up clearance request PNF
Engine start perform PF

AFTER ENGINE START

Database Date check PNF / PF
QNH set on PFD PNF / PF
TST Radar Altimeter PNF
IFR-clearance request PNF
SID read / prepare PNF / PF
COM / NAV / XPDR setting recheck PNF / PF
RWY heading set PNF / PF
Air-Taxi clearance request PNF
Landing lights (for Airtaxi) PNF

AIR-TAXI

Hover check perform PF
ADI / Gyro checks perform PNF / PF

BEFORE TAKE OFF

PITOT / STATIC HTR (as required) PNF
Emergency briefing perform PIC
Departure clearance request PNF

AFTER TAKE OFF

TDP call passing PNF
ATC contact perform PNF
SID read / recheck PNF / PF
Transition altitude recheck / call passing PNF
> Altimeter setting recheck PNF / PF

LEVEL OFF / LEVEL CHANGE

Level flight perform PF
Power setting call out PF
OAT recheck PNF
> PITOT / STATIC HTR (as required) PNF
Landing lights (as required) PNF

ARRIVAL ROUTE (before IAF)
ATIS / WX check PNF
> Transition level recheck PNF
> QNH recheck / set PNF / PF
Approach briefing perform PIC
> Holding prepare PNF
> COM / NAV setting recheck / ident PNF / PF
> Marker LOW / Audio ON PNF / PF
> Radar altimeter set to DH PNF / PF
> Missed approach read PNF
Initial Approach course and altitude read PNF

INITIAL APPROACH (passing IAF or start off radar vectoring)
Initial Approach course and altitude recheck PNF / PF
PF – NAV / ADF set to final frequency PNF / PF
PF - RWY course set PF
Final turning point read / check PNF

INTERMEDIATE APPROACH (turning to final track)
Intermediate Approach altitude read / recheck PNF / PF
PNF – DME / NAV set to final frequency PNF
PNF – RWY course set PNF
Final Approach Fix / Point read PNF / PF
Landing lights ON PNF
Pre-landing Check perform PNF

FINAL APPROACH (short before FAF / FAP )
Final check altitude (OM / stepdown fix) read PNF / PF
Minimum (DA / MDA) read PNF / PF
Landing clearance confirm PNF / PF
Call-outs (500 ft / 100 ft / Minimum) read PNF

Sorry but copy and paste made it a bit confusing. If any questions feel free to PM me.
Best regards
Tom

212man
25th Apr 2010, 09:09
Echelipilot, I suspect that is just what Sax412 wants to see, and of course is illustrating exactly the point I was making to begin with (no offence intended.)

Some of the stuff there is real SOP stuff, that should be in the OPs manual - such as standard calls and bug settings.

Some of the stuff is simply the things that you have to do to fly IFR - such as IFR clearance, briefings, nav ident etc.

Some of the stuff is simply what you need to do to fly at all - hover checks, level off, power set etc

Some of the stuff is basic airmanship or cockpit organisation - such as landing light useage, pitot heaters etc.

When you remove all of the above, you start to get close to what should ACTUALLY be in the checklist used in flight. :ok:

Having said that, it's similar to what you see quite frequently, and I suspect is pretty much what Sax wanted, so thanks for posting it and I hope my point is made without sounding arrogant - it's certainly not intended that way.

malabo
25th Apr 2010, 14:55
Sadly, most of the helicopter IFR checklists I look at fall into the "IFR for dummies" category - offense intended. I'm with the NASA/212man school of thought - follow the Jepp briefing strip, checklist as an after reference to keep anything real bad from happening,

I'm forever seeing pilots doing everything except what they should be doing (at that time) following a checklist. Or one crewmember blaring out the checklist while the other crewmember is struggling to catch ATC calls and ignoring him. I honestly wonder if any of those pilots actually fly IFR anywhere except uncontrolled airspace or in a simulator. Maybe that is the point. Nobody actually flies IFR in a helicopter so every time it becomes a new experience that requires a lot of prescriptive handholding. And instead of boxing someone's ears for poor airmanship or not being prepared, the panacea is to simply add another line to the c/l.

I like the 737 checklist. Strip out the flaps stuff that you don't need and it's even shorter. Database check, test Rad Alt while you're in the glue capturing an ILS? What for, so you can pray for the skies to break to VFR? Cut those kinds of things out of the c/l and do them when the a/c is parked at the end of the day.

TeeS
25th Apr 2010, 20:28
I'm in total agreement with 212 on this one, a simple flowing checklist coupled with SOP's and common airmanship are the way to go.

Hope you will excuse the thread creep, but John Eacott's mention of the AI check in the hover struck a chord. I was never taught or expected to do the pitch up/down bit during the instrument checks but I am seeing it done more and more. I am sure no fixed wing pilot does this and if you are flying an S61 or 92 I reckon the guy in the back seat, 40ft behind you, is not going to find this comfortable. Just a thought.

Cheers

TeeS

Fly_For_Fun
26th Apr 2010, 11:02
The instrument checks whilst taxiing was a military thing and was left, right, pitch forward and backward, also raise and lower the collective to check the RCDI and yaw left and right to check the compass. Made for interesting viewing :ooh:

Sax412
1st May 2010, 06:13
Thank you all very much for your help and support.
I will use your hints to build up the final one to suite my need.:)