PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 eyes , any slack ?

basketeer
3rd Aug 2001, 20:14
Does anybody out there know , or had any experience with leeway on the class 1 eye requirments , i know the limits have changed to -5 if you can prove that they have stabilised , mine are -5.5 , and have been like that for a least three years (actually getting better , down from -6)is this .5 a big no-no or are they willing to cut me some slack , would it make a difference if i already had a number of flying hours/licences in my pocket .
any info would be greatly appreciated !

ps. if there's anyone from the CAA out there im willing to pay cash bribes ching!ching!

(And before any of you 'serious' people get upset by that - i'm only joking !!)

BlipOnTheRadar
7th Aug 2001, 14:18
Leeway from the CAA!!! this is a joke right? According to them I do not have stereoscopic vision, which they say prevents me from judging distances, they say I should not be able to taxi or even park the aircraft safely let alone land the thing. Odd then that I have in excess of 100 hrs and had no problems what-so-ever. I have found so many arguements against their decision to not allow me a class one, but they are unrepentant.
I plan to get my ATPL in the States, I already have my FAA class one and hope to start the training before the end of the year. Maybe you could consider this route too. FAA medicals can be done at Airport Medical Services, Posthouse Hotel, Gatwick for around £70, a wee bit cheaper than the CAA equivalent.
Please bear in mind that the opinions expressed here are mine and I urge anyone to decide on the validity of the arguements themselves.
Go for your dreams and don't let any person, organisation or nation stand in your way

Fly safely

BOTR

p.s. don't bribe them! blackmail is so much more fun! :D

g10
8th Aug 2001, 04:10
I know its not strictly medical......

"Blip", do u have a work permit to work in the US....I'd go the US route with an FAA Class one, but don't have a work permit/green card.

How did/are u dealing with this employment problem......do the airlines get that for you....

or is it a matter of getting married to an american?

Red_Devil
8th Aug 2001, 14:15
My eyesight was -5 and I was given a JAR Class 1.

I went to an optician in London who is also a pilot and CAA examiner and knows exactly what the CAA want. He prepared a report which was sent off to Gatwick. It took time but I was able to upgrade to a Class 1 at my medical renewal in January.

So there is some hope. Keep trying!

(edited due to extreme short-sightedness)

[ 08 August 2001: Message edited by: Red_Devil ]

gijoe
8th Aug 2001, 17:26
Red,

Can you post a name and tel number ?

Gijoe :cool:

BlipOnTheRadar
8th Aug 2001, 18:39
g10,

I don't have a work permit/green card yet but I don't plan to work forever in America. To study at an Immigration and Naturalisation Service recognised training establishment in the States you'll either be granted a J1 or M1 visa both of which last fo 24 months, I believe. You are not permitted to "work" on either but the M1 allows the holder to gain vocational experience, i.e flying instructor, until the visa expires, then you must return to your place of origin. Or at least this is what I believe to be the case, but I am open to correction ;)

I had looked into getting a green card but the Americans seem to make things deliberately complex. Look at American Embassy (http://www.usembassy.org.uk) and see if you can fathom it out. I might just give them a call and tell them I don't want to live there permanently, just build up my flying hours so I can get an ATPL then exchange it for one nearer to home.

When do you plan on going over, that is assuming that you do want to go over :)

Fly safely

BOTR

g10
9th Aug 2001, 01:56
Red - mind if i ask, how old are you? And could u also give me the contact details of this optician....thanks

Blip - At the moment, the cash is on a low( just graduated from uni), so it'll be about 4 years before i can go get my ATPL under my own finance....thats if i become a mean and stingy...oh hang on i am !!!!

g10

schaloner
9th Aug 2001, 02:36
Blip,

I assume you cannot pass a CAA Class 1 due to your eyesight, which is why you are going the FAA route. I too have considered doing the same due to my eyesight being too poor to pass the CAA Class 1. However, am I right in thinking that even with an FAA ATPL I would still have to pass a CAA Class 1 in order to be employed by a UK airline? I'm sure I read somewhere a few years back that there was a route into a UK airline with an FAA ATPL for people who had poor eyesight, but I can't remember where it was. I'm hoping I didn't dream it...

basketeer
9th Aug 2001, 03:31
Red devil ,

Any chance you can E-Mail me this opticians contact info ? or is it a secret !
(Do you take cheques !!!)

BlipOnTheRadar
9th Aug 2001, 10:41
Schaloner

you are correct in thinking I cannot pass the initial CAA/JAA class one medical at present. But I also would not pass an initial CAA/JAA class two. It is only by virtue of the fact I already hold a CAA class three that future class two's will be issued. The "initial" is the important bit, once you have a medical it is relatively easy to keep.

I know a UK regional Captain who only has one eye and when tha CAA turned me down for a class one, I pointed this out to them, their answer was that because he already held an ATPL before he became monocular he was allowed dispensation.

So I figured if I got an FAA ATP (which incidentally the CAA consider not to be equal to a CAA/JAA ATPL) with 2000-2500 hours under my belt, I would have a strong case for issue of a CAA/JAA class one. Although I would still require an initial medical, I would have experience to back me up.

Failing that, of course, I'd sue them for discrimination and corporate insanity :D

It's a long shot and it probably won't work but I'm sure gonna have some fun along the way :)

It is a little scary to think that a few short years from now I could be flying 747/777/A380's into the UK on a regular basis, with the FAA ATP that I'll (hopefully) soon have, but I'd not be permitted to fly a G- registered Dornier 228 for hire or reward without a CAA/JAA CPL. I could however, fly it on my CAA/JAA PPL :eek: (that is if I understand the regulations correctly!! 5700kg and all that)

Happy flying!

BOTR

Now how do I get a green card??????? :confused:

edititted because I can't get the UBB to work
:rolleyes:

[ 09 August 2001: Message edited by: BlipOnTheRadar ]

Red_Devil
10th Aug 2001, 11:05
Anyone who want the opticians details, please e-mail me. I'll be happy to share the info with my fellow ppruners. ;)

LimaNovember
10th Aug 2001, 21:38
Have VDL and VNL entered into my Class I (shall wear corrective lenses - shall have available corrective lenses). Did ask a doctor about doing a Laser operation and he said that`s possible, but the penalty is to be grounded for 12 months after the operation. This was in Germany. Anyone who can add to this one?

Barney
11th Aug 2001, 20:39
LN,

But laser surgery still won't get you around the problem, as you must be within the +/-5 D before you underwent the correction. And, as you say, you will also be grounded for 12 months, and have to visit Gatwick for regular post-surgery check-ups. All this can be found on www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk) in the FCL/medical section.

Regards

Barney

Red_Devil
13th Aug 2001, 14:36
Peeps

I am away from home for a couple of weeks and can't access my home e-mail account. I will reply but it won't be until the bank holiday weekend - sorry!!

Red

You want it when?
13th Aug 2001, 15:25
Muppet (me) time - do you mean that at a stable (five years plus) of -3.5 and -4.0 I could go for a class one? Approaching 36 - might be time for a career change if possible. :eek:

PPL Stude currently.

[ 13 August 2001: Message edited by: You want it when? ]

silverknapper
15th Aug 2001, 01:45
You want it when - depends on astigmatic factor, add two together and if less than -5 you have no probs. It is imensely unfair when you consider that once a class one is obtained, eyesight is then allowed to deteriorate to -8!I am -5.5 myself and am trying anything possible to correct this with help of my optician.

Lawyerboy
16th Aug 2001, 16:10
Hang on a mo' - my eyesight is currently -1.5 and -3.5 and is stable. Together that adds up to -5. If I understand it correctly that will, now, enable me to pass a Class 1. Is that correct?

And while we're at it, don't suppose anyone has the number of the CAA medical dept, have they?

You want it when?
16th Aug 2001, 19:21
Thanks for the info Silverknapper - I guess -3.5 + -4.0 adds up to more than -5.0.

The airline world is safe, unless of course I violate class A airspace. :D

silverknapper
16th Aug 2001, 23:55
lawyerboy&you want it when: Slight misunderstanding. I didn't mean add two eyes together, I meant the astigmatic factor and your prescription for each eye individually. Over the age of 25 as long as each eye is less than -5 you are both ok(-3 for under 25. Go to [URL=www.srg.caa.co.uk]web page for info. I printed it out and took it to my optician who interpreted it exactly - would recommend you do the same. There is also rumours of a drop in the limit anyway. If you have any probs with getting results interpreted drop me an e-mail.

You want it when?
17th Aug 2001, 15:55
Bug*er, now I'm in a quandry. I really would love to fly for a living - but I've got to used to a regular high income to go through something like PilotPete did, or the other wannabees - I certainly have a lot more respect now for those chaps that sit in the front - they have paid a lot to be there. I could afford the training (possibly) I don't think I want to be an airline pilot that bad.

Scroggs - does this mean I have to leave PPRuNe or can I still lurk but stay in the Private Pilots forum?

Cypres
17th Aug 2001, 17:20
Silverknapper,

your optician will probably never cure your eyes. He will however gladly keep charging you for eye tests and new glasses.
(Sound of a cash till closing).
The technical term for this is "As long as you have a Hole in your arse it ain't gonna happen"
However, the outlook isn't all bleak, you can improve your vision and the small error that you need to improve upon is easily achievable within a few months. Goto WWW.SEEING.ORG (http://WWW.SEEING.ORG) for more info.
Alternatively you could always have your arse stiched up! :D

p.s. Sorry to be blunt but opticians whilst meaning well will only ruin your eyes. What they are useful for is testing your eyes both for function and general health.
I go to an optician on a regular basis and will always do so.
But, the best advice I can give you if an optician tries to sell you glasses is to kick him in the nuts and run in the opposite direction. :eek:

p.s.
If it's a female optician then politely decline the glasses and leave by the nearest convenient exit. (Couldn't possibly condone kicking a female optician in the chuff - it's just not the done thing ).

[ 17 August 2001: Message edited by: Cypres ]

silverknapper
19th Aug 2001, 20:52
Cypres
Many thanks for info, will go straight to link.

cheers

DJXL
23rd Aug 2001, 01:37
Hi, I'm another blind bloke.

I want to go commercial but as far as I know my eyesight is too bad. The fact I can land A320 sims with my eyes shut altogether doesn't seem to matter to the CAA because my glasses will naturally break at the same time the captain has a heart attack. Always happens.

I do, however, have a Class A FAA medical but I would still have to get the CAA one upon my return to the UK yeah? BUT, I believe, if you have enough hours, the CAA will give you your class 1 after your employment in the US.

Am I talking rubbish here? I have no idea... Ta

Island Air
24th Aug 2001, 19:45
<<The fact I can land A320 sims with my eyes shut altogether doesn't seem to matter to the CAA>>

Are you serious...? Space cadet or what...