PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic and flying

TOT
13th Oct 2001, 03:05
I have a young male relative who has recently been confirmed as diabetic. He has only recently started training for a PPL.
The diabetice is stable and controlled daily, does anybody know how this will affect his medical. Thanks

SOPS
13th Oct 2001, 03:38
TOT, we have one Captain flying with us who is Diabetic. I think it would depend on if it was type 1 or 2 as to licencing, however what an airline would think about employing someone with a pre condition is at least doubtful

lagonda
15th Oct 2001, 03:16
I have a friend in a similar situation.

He tells me he got valuable advice from AOPA in London who have links to several aviation qualified Doctors. He was able to talk to them confidentially before he discussed things with the CAA.

I can't say what the outcome was but might be worth a try. Incidentally, he was not an AOPA member at the time of asking. He is now!

Good luck!

redsnail
22nd Oct 2001, 22:52
In Australia, the "simple" way to work it out was if the diabetes was controlled by diet, then the medical was ok. (Can't remember if that was class 1 or 2). If the needles were required, then no go. Best get advice from the medical examiner in the UK.

flybyvelcro
26th Oct 2001, 16:07
It is perfectly permissible to hold a class one medical if your are a TYPE 2 diabetic. You cannot hold a medical if you are insulin dependant.
I have been a diabetic for the past eighteen months, I had to have two and a half months off work whilst it was stabilised on diet and drugs. I got my medical back with no restrictions.
The most common diabetic drug for pilots is Metformin. The maximum dose is 2000mg per day, (I am on 1500mg). They will also want to see your HBA1c check somewhere between 6 and 7.5%. They also like to see a fasting glucose level of below 8. Dr Johnson is the best doctor at the CAA to give you advice on diabetes. Hope this will answer the query, but just to repeat, you cannot fly, or drive a lorry or PCV for that matter if you are insulin dependant.

SuperTed
28th Oct 2001, 14:28
Sops,

Does this Captain fly for Airtours by any chance?

cheers,

ST

DomeAir
1st Nov 2001, 11:18
Typically, if you're insulin dependent you cannot maintain a flight crew licence however in Australia (and other similiar countries I believe), it is possible to obtain a Class 2 Conditional Medical which allows you to fly with a safety pilot (appropriately endorsed/rated) provided you have regular blood tests (HbA1C) and can prove you have a good stable history of control.

There are other limitations/requirements however at least the option is available if you're prepared to give it a go. I did for a few years but have since given up - if I get the urge, I just go dual.

C-dog
1st Nov 2001, 17:51
I failed a Class2 medical six weeks ago due being diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes. So currently I'm on a diet & exercis regime to bring the numbers down to acceptable limits then go back to the doc and try again. I subsequently got a fairly formal letter from the CAA giving the conditions for renewal - reports & printouts from my diebetician etc (I don't have a dibetician - my GP doesn't consider my condition currently warrants attending the diabetes clinic).

The friendly CAA quack in Aberdeen gave some practical advice, in particular as I work abroad a lot. So now I diet, exercise 3 times a week instead of two and got hold of a blood glucose self test kit (free refills on the NHS!) So far the numbers are heading in the right direction.

I also got hold of a copy of JAR-FCL 3, Subparts A,B&C Section 2 where the diabets requirements reside. Mangement of Type 1 diabetes with exogenous insulin automatically disqualifies the applicant from a Class 1 or 2 medical. Type 2 diabetes fully controlled on diet alone may be fit Class 1 'OML' or unrestricted Class 2 subject to periodic medicals at least annually. If Metformin is needed to supplement the dietary regime the same classification may apply, subject to 6-montly medicals. Use of Sulphonylureas to supplement the diet disqualifies certification.

Treatment is generally based on reducing carbohydrate and total calorie intake, increase in dietary fibre and reduction in animal fat. Along with exercise - i.e. what we should have been doing anyway! The small consolation is that alcohol is allowed, albeit strictly no more than the regulation 21 units a week.

The ideal result of dietary management would include:
Fasting blood glucose - less than 6.0 mmol.
Hba1 - Within normal range
Cholesterol - less than 6.5 mmol
Body Mass Index - less than 25
Regular exercise & no smoking.

The sad thing is that diabetes is for life and apparently gradually worsens with time. The young person at the start of this thread is likely to have Type 1 diabetes if he is under 30 years. Type 2 generally appears at 40+

I'm fortunate that I don't need a CAA medical to earn my crust and if it all goes pear shaped then I've had 20 enjoyable years mixng with you professionals both in the UK & USA - you're a friendly & tolerant lot despite some of the moans & grumbles on this site.

C-dog