PDA

View Full Version : eyesight (glasses) in RAAF

franksnbeans
5th Oct 2001, 09:42
I passed aptitude testing for a RAAF pilot, but failed the medical because I'm short sighted and wear glasses. I have met heaps of RAAF pilots who wear glasses. US navy and airforce pilots can wear glasses aswell. I have appealed the decision, as not even the medical staff know why the restriction is in place. I think even A.M. Errol M (ret) said that it was a stupid rule. Even though noone knows why the restriction is in place, I don't like my chances. Is there anything else that I can do?

Tiger_ Moth
7th Oct 2001, 00:27
Did the pilots who wear glasses in the RAAF and US navy etc need them when they entered? Because I think in the RAF at least they wont allow you to enter if you need glasses but if you get in and then you need glasses then thats ok. I think its got something to do with keeping recruit numbers down or something because glasses dont matter in a modern plane. It might depend on how bad your eyesight is too. Hope it goes well for you.

franksnbeans
7th Oct 2001, 05:04
those RAAF pilots did get in with perfect eyesight, but the US isn't as tight anymore.
thanks anyway T_M, i will keep trying
Regards, fnb

[ 07 October 2001: Message edited by: franksnbeans ]

Constable Clipcock
7th Oct 2001, 07:01
You're right on that — those trying to get into pilot training, as opposed to those who are already qualified, operational military pilots, are assessed IAW two completely different standards.

The US forces, for instance, all used to require 20/20 uncorrected on the first exam for pilot applicants. The Army started allowing 20/50 for commissioned pilot candidates back in the 1960's but demanded 20/20 for warrant-officer candidates until only a year ago.

As of now, the USAF and US Army have set 20/50 correctable to 20/20 as their basic requirement for entry into flight school, yet both allow 20/400 correctable to 20/20 after one is qualified. The Navy still maintains a more anal-retentive set of rules.

franksnbeans
7th Oct 2001, 07:13
youve got to make the best of what youve got. My vision is 20/180, that's pretty far gone, but is correctible to 20/20. Thanks again.

I'd just like to know howe I can influence the rule to change or something to that nature. Does anybody know of anything that i can do to get into the RAAF as a pilot? I do want to be in the military, but i'm very passionate about flying. Even though it sounds "un - officer" like of me to say it, I don't want to settle for something that wont leed to a career as a military pilot. Anymore advice would be great. Thanks.
fnb

[ 07 October 2001: Message edited by: franksnbeans ]