PDA

View Full Version : whats a better license to have or obtain if in training

Clintonb
15th Apr 2010, 01:48
was wondering what would be best to hold JAA,CASA,CAA,FAA license???
i read that if you hold a FAA license or CASA it be harder to convert to any of the European licenses is this true? are you disadvantage by holding one license over another? so confused...

also to go in the corporate side do they want you to have a college degree? I also hear once you have finished training people go into the corporate side to gain hours in jet before getting hired by regional or major airlines in the states? finish training and go into corporate? COOL flying gulfstreams etc but is this really true not even in south africa will they let you, you better off working for an airline like SAA as FO on a 737-300 and gain hours before you even think of flying CEO's of multimillion businesses around the country.

can anybody help and shed some light on this please.

Thank you.

redsnail
15th Apr 2010, 09:38
As answered on your other thread.

The conversion to a JAA/EASA licence from a non JAA licence is not for the faint hearted. It is possible but it's costly in both time and money.

Most folks convert the PPL and then finish the training in Europe, if they want a JAA/EASA licence. That process is relatively simple. Or, train at a JAA approved school in either Australia or USA.

You don't need a degree to fly corporate. In fact you don't need a degree to fly at all. Now, in the USA, a college degree is required as a means of weeding out candidates. The FAA do not require a degree.

To get into corporate flying you need 3 things. Contacts, experience and luck. Do not under estimate the difficulty of getting in to the bizjet world, however, get a good job flying bizjets and it beats the airlines. :E

Trolle
15th Apr 2010, 09:48
The best license to get is the one that you can actually use to earn a living...if that's what you intend.

Get an FAA license if you can get the right to work in the US. Or, run the numbers and see what comes out cheaper if you need to convert an FAA to JAA.

I did the conversion and it was time consuming, but not impossible. I probably have more time than most converters, but it certainly is one of many paths to obtain a JAA ticket.

Just like redsnail said: a 4-year degree in the US is merely a requirement because it helps weed out candidates. Although, when times were good they were hiring a few without a degree. I recommend all to get a degree outside of aviation because you never know what might happen (e.g. medical, downturn, change of career wishes, etc.).

Halfwayback
15th Apr 2010, 17:54
This thread started with a duplicate post from another thread. It has been answered there and in other threads in this forum so I am closing this thread.

HWB