PDA

View Full Version : Failed EEG test?????

skyclamp
2nd Aug 2001, 15:03
As a matter of interest:
How many people have been denied a Class I Medical certificate due to EEG (Elecrical Activity of the Brain) test failure?

There is a movement afoot at the moment for the complete or partial removal of this test altogether, from the Initial Class I - said a MOST reliable source today! There could be news by the end of August!

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: skyclamp ]

Bobby Guzzler
3rd Aug 2001, 15:38
I don't know about the stats on the EEG skyclamp, but I don't agree with the removal of it from the class 1!

I think that the test is a must and there are plenty of examples in the past before its introduction calling for it. I even know a guy myself that had an epileptic fit when staring at the sun through a prop - no the kind of thing you want to happen when carrying passengers! :eek:

skyclamp
15th Nov 2004, 15:22
Bobby Guzzler

Well mate, if you're still around since this thread begun in 2001, what do you say NOW????

Victory at last for my (darling son)!

skyclamp

staticwick
15th Nov 2004, 18:12
Hi
If its of any help, I recall back in 1977 having my first class 1 medical. All seemed to go well. A week or so after the medical I recieved a letter (long,very formal) stating that I could have a problem with epilepsy. I was invited to return to 129 Kingsway for a repeat EEG.
Upon arrival and before the test I was asked if I had eaten in the last 6 hours. Being quite nervous and it being 9am, the reply was no. So I was told to go and have a fry up at the cafe round the corner and report back.
Had the test, all normal. No probs. issued with medical!!
In conversation the doc said that empty tummies and EEGs dont go together.:D

Farrell
15th Nov 2004, 20:43
thanks static

i'll keep that in mind when i got for mine......great excuse for a bacon sarnie!! :E

booke23
16th Nov 2004, 10:17
When I had my EEG a couple of months ago, I asked the nurse if there had ever been any failures on the EEG.

She said in the 12 years she had been there they had one guy fail on a repeat deprived sleep EEG.......he actually fitted during the test, so not only no flying, but no driving for at least a year.

sharpey
16th Nov 2004, 23:58
well for all those people that had failed the class one medical in the past dont give up hope!

When i did, i found it a big shock as i have never suffered from epilepsy or have no family history of it. When i found out the CAA had dumped the test, and quite rightly, i persistantly phoned them to see what they were doing about it. After many calls i finally got through when the consulting neurologist was their reviewing the cases and they reviewed my case. After a couple of days i recieved a letter and class one certificate through the post.

Dufo
17th Nov 2004, 11:01
After minor problems with EEG (occasional sharp waves) I finally got my 1st class med today. All it took was an additional 30-minute check-up and conversation with the neurologist.

Regards,
Jernej

capt.sparrow
23rd Nov 2004, 19:42
Many moons ago when I first had my class one I received a phone call from a worried sounding doctor saying there was a problem with my EEG reading. I had to return for a sleep deprived test and all was perfect - as mentioned not eating doesn't help, and movement of jaw muscles etc can affect the reading I was told. You really do have to relax though which i know is easier said than done, but i was so knackered i almost fell asleep which is what they were looking for apparently!?