PDA

View Full Version : London to Cape Town -tech stop where in Central Africa?

davidjh
13th Apr 2010, 21:13
Hi Guys

I know that there is an official soccer world cup thread, however, it doesn't look like it would be the place for my question.

I am planning a trip in a GIV from London to Cape Town. I am considering where to tech stop in Africa as we can only manage about 3800 nm. That means Luanda is probably the furthest south we could get on the "ama glug glug".:)

I am considering Accra (been there before), Douala or Malabo. Can anyone tell me which of these, or any other suggested airfields, would make for a relatively "easy" tech stop i.e. get fuel & go?!

Thanks in advance.

Vortex Thing
14th Apr 2010, 01:49
Accra, Accra and or Accra! Lovely country, nice airport very helpful handlers and good infrastructure and ATC :)

yambat
14th Apr 2010, 05:34
As with the above, Accra, by far the best!

DaFly
14th Apr 2010, 07:38
If you make it to Luanda, ask Angola Air Services for assistance. A couple of years ago they asked U$ 400 for handling fees. Without a handler you might have a hard time there. If you ask them really nicely, they might even be able to organise some cheap juice for you, unless you need an invoice...
Hotel Tropical & Alvalade recommendable.

Capetonian
14th Apr 2010, 07:44
Concur with the above. Having been to most countries in West Africa, Ghana is a shining beacon compared to the others. Kano has its charm, but on balance Nigeria is best avoided.

V1... Ooops
14th Apr 2010, 08:55
Ghana is a very pleasant country, lots of nice people.

I think you would have a hard time finding any place nicer than Accra, but it would be really easy for you to find a lot of places that are a hell of a lot worse.

Stick with what you know works.

GULF69
14th Apr 2010, 09:29
Check you PM's David

Contract Dog
14th Apr 2010, 15:29
If it isnt too far out of the way, Entebbe is by far the best place for service and ease of operation in Central africa, was there 2 hrs ago, lovely place! Contact ENHAS for handeling, they do KLM/ET/KQ/EK and all of the UN.

Dog

asianeagle
14th Apr 2010, 16:17
Hey Dave, you doing long hauls now too????:ok:
leela:cool:

f2000
14th Apr 2010, 18:20
Ghana ... litlle expensive /english speaking ,good handlers .best intermediate stop by far. I have done this route a few times and Accra is the way to go.
Good hotel close by , Holiday Inn if a Night stop needed. Also the Labadi Beach Hotel.
I am based in CT so we use ACC a lot , no problems.
Enjoy

davidjh
15th Apr 2010, 07:41
Hey guys,

I knew I could rely on you all!! Thanks for the gen. I appreciate the replies and the PM's as well. We are still at the quoting stage of the trip, however, this gives me a good idea of what we should be thinking about in terms of tech stops.

Again, thanks to you all!:ok:

DavidH

P.S Leela - hope all is well with you and the family.:)

ct2003
21st Apr 2010, 11:37
Avoid Luanda, if possible. Security issues, tech issues, visa issues :}

Above post mentioned hotels in LAD. Recommendation is fine but you won't be able to book a room there unless you have good connections :eek:

davidjh
25th Apr 2010, 12:12
Thanks, don't intend on staying at all!:ok:

RSQ
25th Apr 2010, 20:56
Hi, we operate to the UK regularly with a GIVSP, GIII and smaller jets. Experience has shown that the route is about 98 nm longer, but we stop in HELX. The net result is a quick turn around, cheaper fuel, less bribery, cheaper overflight costs and less weather.
Please remember the South African Police require 7 days to clear you for internal flights during the football . PM me if you need their contact details

Jungle Bird
1st May 2010, 18:31
You have already obtained many advices... Let me suggest you Sao Tome (FPST) Reasonable tax and fuel prices, no hassle and fastidious paper job (as in Douala or Malabo) And if you have to stay overnight, it is a lovely small island with nice hotels and landscape. It appears it has become one of the favorite tech stop between South Africa and West Africa. Have a nice flight !