PDA

View Full Version : Head about to explode on internal flights

Upgrade Please
13th Apr 2010, 20:28
Dear PPruners
I have been asked by a friend to solve a conundrum about cabin air pressure (?) related problems. On long haul flights, she suffers no problems with sinus pressure etc, but on internal flights - NOT S/H eg LGW-AMS etc - she suffers blinding headaches. This has happened recently on routes as diverse as Christchurch-Auckland, JFK-Logan and most recently Logan-Raleigh/Durham.

As this doesn't seem to happen on normal short haul international routes, can anyone suggest a cause, or is she just a fruitcake??

Thx
Upgrade Please

sharpclassic
13th Apr 2010, 21:28
Potential fruitcake.

The only thing that could be different would be the rate of change of cabin pressure on the shorter flights. If the aircraft is rocketing up to the high 30s for a very short cruise then darting back down again, this could, I guess, cause delicate heads to feel it a little more.

Either that or she's been having a few too many cheeky vinos the night before ;)

Upgrade Please
13th Apr 2010, 22:13
Thanks for that - it's about what I was thinking.....although she maintains it doesn't happen on international sectors, just internals; this would remove the implication of different rates of cabin pressure change. Perhaps I'll advise her to lay off the vodka Red bull in the morning :\

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Apr 2010, 08:14
She needs Earplanes... a pressure equalising device just like an earplug. My wife suffered excruciating pain on descent for many years, even banging her head against the seat in front with the pain. Various suggestions from medics had little effect until one suggested Earplanes. Give them a try; might work. She could also try a sniff of nasal decongestant at topf of descent..