PDA

View Full Version : 'New Chinese Fighter'

tarantonight
13th Apr 2010, 19:50
Is it just me, or has somebody been using their Spy Kit Tracing Paper near a Typhoon to produce this.....................................

BBC News - China shows off its fighter jets to the world (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8617993.stm)

TN.:confused:

Stu666
13th Apr 2010, 20:05
Looks like a cross between an F-16 and Typhoon, definitely more weighted towards the F-16 though. Doesn't look as ground-breaking as one would expect. Typical Russian/Chinese behaviour, let the rest of the world put the hard graft in, then simply produce a cheap imitation of it.

S76Heavy
13th Apr 2010, 20:22
Much like the Israeli Lavi with a big tail. Off course the Lavi was inspired by the F16..

Torque Tonight
13th Apr 2010, 20:49
It may be Typhoon/F-16 on the outside, but it's probably closer to MiG-21 on the inside, where it matters these days. Put a Typhoon's avionics and weapons systems in a DC-3 and you'd still have a pretty competent combat aircraft!

Anyone else notice this:

"The men who fly these machines are better trained too... spend about 120 hours in the air each year".

I thought current RAF flying rates were an embarrassment but that is just pants.

neildo
13th Apr 2010, 20:59
I noticed that too, which is on par with F3 aircrew is it not? (from the accident report into loss last summer).

tarantonight
13th Apr 2010, 21:00
I did. Attrition rate must be pretty high.

Willard Whyte
13th Apr 2010, 21:03
Lotta Chinese working in the UK, and at our universities too...

Willard Whyte
13th Apr 2010, 21:07
Looks like a cross between an F-16 and Typhoon, definitely more weighted towards the F-16 though. Doesn't look as ground-breaking as one would expect. Typical Russian/Chinese behaviour, let the rest of the world put the hard graft in, then simply produce a cheap imitation of it.

Whereas we watch the USA build the F22, then get something slightly more crap. And almost as expensive.

When will we learn.

tarantonight
13th Apr 2010, 21:09
Spot on Mr Whyte, my point exactly.

TN.

Buster Hyman
14th Apr 2010, 00:03
The aft fuselage is reminiscent of the SAAB Gripen (?) to me...

Trojan1981
14th Apr 2010, 00:38
Published information suggests it was almost certainly developed from the IAI Lavi. Technology apparently transfered from Isreali companies.
"All the pilots have at least a college degree":rolleyes: I wonder how that makes a difference in combat.

GreenKnight121
14th Apr 2010, 03:55
Trojan1981...

"All the pilots have at least a college degree" is the norm among modern militaries.

The US military requires all officers to have a college degree to get their commission... even the programs to commission serving enlisted personnel have an education component where they get their degree.

And no, it has little to do with flying skill... when I was in the USMC in the 1980s we had a joke about a pilot with a Bachelor's Degree in "Underwater Basket-weaving".

I personally knew a CH-53E pilot whose degree was "Physical Education with an emphasis on Physical Therapy"!

Yep... a degree in being a "Gym rat with a heat pack" qualified him to be an officer!

Arclite01
14th Apr 2010, 07:22
More importantly:

1. The chinese are showing these to the world to send a message about their improving defence capability - and if they are showing these off what are they not showing us ??

2. Just think about how many they have probably got - they are still playing the numbers game which in the past has been hampered by poor technology, but they appear to be addressing this (or trying to)

3. The focus in the chinese military is currently on improving the ability of their people to think independently and lead better (they were actually recruiting rugby coaches when I was in New Zealand to work for the chinese military - they had a requirement for 5000 coaching staff !!)

4. The airbase they were operating from in the video clip looked huge and very modern which suggests a lot of funding going into infrastructure - how many of these airbases have they got ?? (although the closeness of the city in the background was somewhat worrying - or was this accom for the base personnel ??)

5. I think we can be dismissive of them at the moment (because we don't like the thought that they might be a threat or at least a possible competitor) - but in the future ??? Hmmm

Arc

Ewan Whosearmy
14th Apr 2010, 08:36
Disappointing that the BBC reporter decided to simply regurgitate the lines he had been fed by his Chinese hosts. I suppose that checking corroborating sources, or even speaking to Flight or Janes, would have been too much to ask. :sad:

The BBC's standard of reporting on both the website and the broadcast side of things really is going down the ****ter.

mlc
14th Apr 2010, 08:54
It's even more amazing when you think that China achieves all this on a £2.50/year defence budget. (Which is all they claim to spend)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Apr 2010, 10:38
I thought it was China's defense budget to grow 7.5% in 2010: spokesman (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03/04/content_9537753.htm)

The planned defense budget is 532.115 billion yuan (about 78 billion U.S. dollars)

One suspects that their Budget extends a long way in "bang for buck" due to their pay scales and overheads (eg conditions of employment/service and health and safety etc).

Buster Hyman
14th Apr 2010, 12:57
Fools!

I bet none of you ever thought to question why the Beef & Black Bean was so expensive! :ugh:

fallmonk
14th Apr 2010, 14:17
"
It's even more amazing when you think that China achieves all this on a £2.50/year defence budget. (Which is all they claim to spend)"

Probably a lot easier (and cheaper) by the fact they do either no or very little R,D !!!!
So they either bought info off israeli companys or they have ehem borrowed a few blue prints along the way ! Either way they are taking advantage off other peoples hard graft n sweat making the Eurofighter etc work !

Off course this is all speculation till we get to see the avionics and how it performs . We can only compare it's looks !

RedhillPhil
14th Apr 2010, 15:41
They'll be the Chinese who McBroon gave £140,000,000 to last year then. The ones that are buying up huge tracts of land in Zimbabwe.
Blimey, we're supporting Mugabe via the Chinese. It's like fairyland out there.
Nurse! Time for my medication please.

seafuryfan
15th Apr 2010, 06:02
"...aerial stunts..."

Come on, BBC, it's not a bleedin' circus!

Load Toad
15th Apr 2010, 08:24
If they make it in Dongguan then I hope they can get DHL to fast track it out...