PDA

View Full Version : Namibia, Bots, Malawi Q/A's 2010/11

soakingpilot
13th Apr 2010, 15:15
So I am going to make the jump and go to Southern Africa come around mid-november 2010 with FAA CPL IR SEL + MEL w/ 260 hrs and I have a few questions.

1. When is the hiring season for these countries.
2. What is on the conversion exam? Does it focus on any specific areas?
3. Are you guys camping or staying in hostels during the interim while searching?
4. Interview attire?
5. What is the pay per year ( rough idea ) and living costs for an apt ( again rough guess ) ?
6. Any companies to stay away from inparticular?
7. How does it work with VISA's ( tourist ) and renewing that Visa while looking for jobs :suspect:

* To the forum please just repsond to the questions. I know that there are these answers lying around but they are buried in all of the forum posts so I just wanted to start something new clear and concise.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Csanad007
13th Apr 2010, 16:02
Maun, Botswana is over for this year.
Namibia should pick up nowadays.
Forget Malawi, there are 2 companies, Nyassa Air Taxi and Bush and Lake. Both want some 500 hours guys. Jobs mainly by word of mouth, And they are already full for this year...

Never mind, the exams are usually no fuss and easy. Some air law, some places radiotelephony.

Camp, it is cheap.

Interview? I think only Sefofane does interviews...

Around 10 000 usd for start. In Maun you might estimate from 100 to 300 hundred usd per month. In Namibia is not that cheap.

You wanna fly or stay away? No idea on that one.

DaFly
14th Apr 2010, 07:24
Coming to Nam in November would be a waste of time, since business winds down as from December. Time to show your face here is now - July.
You will need a C210 conversion on your FAA licence. That means, log a few 210 hours as dual. Here you need a conversion for each and every a/c you want to fly, unlike in the US and Europe. Since you will only get a validation at first, all a/c have to be on your FAA licence (or in your logbook before you rock up here). For more detail contact Windhoek Flight Training Centre (google).
As far as I know, DCA Namibia just made it a bit more difficult to validate FAA licenses. You might have to write 4-5 exams. You can find out from DCA Namibia (google).
Companies work on very different pay schemes, some pay per hour or NM, some pay a basic salary + S&T. Don't expect more than N$3500.- (=ZAR 3500 = U$ 400-500) monthly initially, rather less. Forget about 10k.
No company around, that is really not recommendable. Sefofane Namibia & Westair the best ones, doesn't mean you would have an easy life though. You will fly your butt off (Sefo) and eat a lot of **** (Westair) but hours are good (Sefo) and Westair got very good SOPs. A/C are workhorses but in ok condition.
Expect to pay N$ 2500 for rent in Windhoek, a little less in Swakopmund. Sharing with other guys is the best option. Initially stay at the backpackers Cardboard Box in Windhoek. They will recommend accommodation in Swakopmund. Don't miss out on going to Swakopmund, as there is a high turn over of pilots, since those companies only operate C210.
Forget about going to RSA, since they already export pilots to neighbouring countries.
Work permit in Nam: find a job, company will sign and stamp the necessary papers and then find an agent, who will process the applications for you. Most companies have somebody they work together with. Be prepared to carry all the costs, although the law says otherwise. Don't know how much it could add up to.

Csanad007
14th Apr 2010, 10:41
DaFly: yepp, thanks for the clarification.

In Swakop I'd recomend Villa Wiese, pretty decent place with breakfast and wifi use included in the price. That is 115 nam dollars. But when I stayed there for more then one month I was able to get a bargain: 85 nam dolls. Even cheaper you can go to the hostel should be 20-40 bux per night depending on room.

The guys there are nice and helpful. If you fit in you'll quickly find yourserf going to braai's, playing soccer on Sundays and so on... Pretty much a place to love.

lilflyboy: let them guys keep on being curious :)

lilflyboy262
15th Apr 2010, 06:43
Only if your around long enough to keep answering the questions ;):}

Csanad007
15th Apr 2010, 08:09
Oh, don't worry, if I have enough of it then I'lll just ignore the questions. But now that the wifi is back at FBMN and I have quite some time it is not a big thing. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

rahulpereira
17th Apr 2010, 07:30
Hey guys,
I have read your posts and also the "Jobs in Africa 2" forum, I am an Indian national with 200 hours and an FAA PPL +IR , I am planning to go to the USA in a few months time to get my CPL with ME rating.
My question is along with the C 210s, do they also operate the C310s ? As the school I might go to has a C310, so if I get around 25 hrs on it, will that be good for me in Africa ? Can you please tell me if any companies operate C310s ?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Rahul Pereira

DaFly
17th Apr 2010, 11:15
@ rahul
yes, in Namibia 1 or 2 companies do operate C310. Botswana not, as far as I know. South Africa, a few, but not very common, I think.
If you are looking into flying here, why don't you want to get your licence in South Africa?
It is much easier to convert an ICAO (RSA) licence into an FAA one then what it takes to convert an FAA licence into an ICAO licence.
Price difference wont be much to your disadvantage either. If you look at the job market, you will see that quite a few of the more advanced jobs require ICAO licences or JAA ones, rather than FAA licenses.

rahulpereira
18th Apr 2010, 06:07
Hey Thanks a lot for your reply and also for your suggestion, but can I then convert my FAA PPL + IR easily to ICAO (RSA) license first and then proceed for the CPL ?
If that is possible without any hassles then its not a bad idea at all.......

Also if you know about the companies in Namibia that operate C310s, can you tell me if they're good to work with and also do you have an idea of the pay there , as I also have a loan to repay here ?

Another thing I would like to ask you ( even though it is too early ) , if I can gain some experience flying in Namibia , what about the airlines in Africa ? would it be possible to get into those airlines or do I have to look elsewhere ?

Thanks once again.....
Regards

Arabian Mustang
18th Apr 2010, 07:12
do you have an idea of the pay there , as I also have a loan to repay here ?

Pay is peanuts! Dont expect to repay a loan with the salary that they give you..:} I used to be broke by the 20th of every month when I worked there. I would say that namibia is kinda expensive for a third world country.

Also, the insurance minimums for a C 310 at all the companies in namibia were 700-1000 hours total time. Not sure if its lower now. So dont expect to start flying a C 310 when you get there.

Consider yourself lucky if you get to fly a C 210 with 200 odd hours.:}

rahulpereira
18th Apr 2010, 10:10
Hey thanks for your reply, well I wasn't expecting to repay the loan with only my salary but I thought it would certainly help a little if i sent it home......

Also since you've experienced it , can you give me an idea of how much would it cost approx for living and eating at a cheap place as I am aiming to just gain the hours and have a mattress underneath to spend the night and a roof , that's all......

Also thanks for the information on the C310, but can I upgrade after a while after having gained some experience on the C210 ?

Yeah its going to be difficult , but not impossible ,so will definitely try it out next year when the jobhunting season starts.......

Appreciate any tips you have based on your experiences......

Regards

wondering
18th Apr 2010, 10:20
Just out of curiosity, whatīs the hourly pay in Namibia these days on a C-210? As far as I know, it used to be around N$ 120 in the mid nineties. Long time ago, I know.

Arabian Mustang
18th Apr 2010, 12:35
@rahulpereira: Check PM!

@Wondering: Hasnt changed much since you left unless doing survey work on C210. Year 2008 figures are from N$150 to N$ 250.:}

nyathi
18th Apr 2010, 14:28
Csanad007 said:

Interview? I think only Sefofane does interviews...

What bulldust! Each and every company that I know here in Maun does interviews, full and proper interviews!

Knob!

Csanad007
18th Apr 2010, 16:14
nyathi: sorry for that one!

lilflyboy262
19th Apr 2010, 06:34
I wasn't interviewed.
They don't do formal interviews, its more of a informal one.

nyathi
19th Apr 2010, 08:17
I wasn't interviewed.
They don't do formal interviews, its more of a informal one.

Who do you work for then?

ragdragger
19th Apr 2010, 13:16
I worked for sefofane and never had any formal interview. Some bull**** written quiz that I was asked to write after I was offered the job and which no one ever looked at. No flight review, and no one even asked to see my log book. A real tight ship they run. I'm sure some of the other companies are more thorough but I didn't know anyone who had much of a "proper" interview.

lilflyboy262
19th Apr 2010, 13:16
Since information is being twisted and leaked into the papers, I prefer not to say.
But I can say that the only company that conducts formal interviews is Sefofane.
The rest of the companies are looking more at the individuals rather than the qualifications, as like what was said in the papers, apparently everyone who holds a CPL can do the job. So once they select a pilot who is most likely to fit the company profile and the image that they are going for, then they will conduct a flight check to make sure they can fly, and then be hired.

DaFly
24th Apr 2010, 23:01
If you care to scroll up a bit, you see my recent post about salaries.
As to 'converting' your PPL: it's easier and faster to redo your PPL in NAM or RSA. You do have all the necessary hours, the exams are peanuts. You will just have to do a flight or two to settle down to the standards and then do the test. It's not possible to convert a PPL. You could validate it (which is the same process as above) but then you still don't have anything to build up onto.

EC-BBL
13th May 2010, 10:51
Hi,do you need to know german to get a job in Namibia?,thanks..

Csanad007
13th May 2010, 11:44
Nope, except for Bush Bird, but then even Andy will hire non German speakers if he is in need! I have a Spanish friend flying for him.
And maybe Wings Over will ask for German as well. But the others are okay with Ingles...

v6g
14th May 2010, 16:18
Whatever happened to the grand yet somewhat underwhelming plans for the Sefofane flight training school? I know it got swept away by the recession but as we're now in recovery mode are there any plans for a resurrection?

ragdragger
17th May 2010, 07:50
The recession had nothing to do with it. The school was set up in order to get a contract to train government sponsored students. The Sefofane management dropped the ball during negotiations and the Botswana government decided to send their students to train in SA instead. Last I herd the school has 1 "chief" flight instructor, three empty classrooms and no students. Apparently they still aren't certified to train students past the private pilot level.

soakingpilot
28th May 2010, 00:06
OK all new set of questions for this thread.

I would like to know what others have brought in terms of gear and any tips.

What I am looking at bringing so far.

I am currently looking at around a 50 Liter backpack ( 3100 cubic inches ) that should haul around 50lbs max and fits in the overhead.
Latching on a sleeping bag and air mattress
2 X White Pilot shirts
1 X tent
1 X DC 10.13.4's Headset

For those in the field already:
What are you wearing on your feet?
Type of sleeping bag ( heat component )
Heaviest piece of clothing? Do I need to bring a heavier jacket?

Thanks.

btw saw a picture of Csand loaded down with 2 backpacks and a plastic bag and got scared.

Csanad007
28th May 2010, 11:02
Well, a tent, sleeping bag, matress are quite big. Then in Namibia the nights tend to be cooler, so a pullover or a medium jacket comes handy. Take comfortable shoes.
It is a good idea to bring your laptop. So that would require some alternate carrying (I mean other then your big backpack for the stuff)...
But the things you saw on me are kinda basic. But carried them only once in a month when traveling from Bots to Nam and back. So have no fear.

soakingpilot
29th May 2010, 23:07
When you guys pack up your tent in the morning are you "checking" your gear somewhere during the day or just bringing it with you wherever you go. I guess the laptop probably goes with you at all times.

Csanad007
30th May 2010, 07:08
Most camps are well protected, but valuables (laptop, camera, money, passport and stuff) are always with you. Or should

lilflyboy262
2nd Jun 2010, 07:19
Soaking, Namibia and Botswana are not in the bush anymore (well, you guys know what I mean).
They do have houses with doors that can be locked...
Bring whatever you want to bring with you and what you feel comfortable carrying around with you, just as you would if you were holidaying anywhere else in the world.
Keep all valuables such as laptops, passports, logbooks and licences on you at all times unless you can lock them away somewhere. But most places are pretty safe and you will realise this after a while.

And a big tip to stop you getting hassled from the locals. DO NOT LOOK LIKE A TOURIST.

Der absolute Hammer
2nd Jun 2010, 07:49
How can you look like a local if you have on you at all times, laptops, licences, logbooks, passports and so on. Also, you need a tan and some grit around the eyes and a decent slouch in a pair of veldtschoens-which I don't think you'll find in Maun.
Try the Indian market in Randburg for those. Oh yeah..don't wear Ray Bans-they're a dead give away. Also, don't try to speak Tswana unless you're very good at it. It's not a difficult language but stick to Jambo...or do I mean Tsala tsentle? Just don't say Ciao.

EC-BBL
3rd Jun 2010, 16:25
thanks!!,i was in doubt,i thought it was a must

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Jun 2010, 17:43
No,

Viva Zapata with a wave of the hand goes down well.
I usually pretend to be from the Argentine and mutter to myself in Spanish. Do not point. It is a bad habit South Africans have got in to. It is part of their 'my/me' culture - if culture is the word to describe the massive acquisitive vulgarity of the majority of the people one bumps in to as one sidles past Swarovksi trying to pretend that one does not, in fact, know the chandelier addicted sexy enough nit wit who owns the company.
Oh, yes where was I?-back to pointing- do not forget that in Argentina, where so many of the good Nazis ended up after WWII, we wave our hand in the direction of that which we wish to emphasis or acquire, in an empirical fashion.

Never even think of pretending to be an Italian. The reality is too dreadful although humming opera is permissible.

soakingpilot
14th Jun 2010, 20:05
So to continue with this I am getting my HEP A,B, Tetanus, Polio, Meningitis, Rabis and Yellow Fever shots done now. How do companies take care of their pilots medical wise? How is insurance if any provided by your employer? Also do companies generally take care of our provide information for doctors ?

duncanidaho50
15th Jun 2010, 12:11
Im planning on flying down ther to llok for a job by october this year, what has me worried is being a bad time of the year to find a job down there, is it realy that bad or should I take a chance anyways? Im not going now because I have a job for the summer here in Spain and I shuold have around 600 hours by the end of Summer. Thanks

Csanad007
15th Jun 2010, 16:36
Should be just the right time to arrive to Maun, if you are willing to stick it there for two months. The patience could land you in a position there...

z987k
16th Jun 2010, 08:46
Csanad, you ever find anything in Namib?

Csanad007
16th Jun 2010, 08:53
Just got hired by Bush Bird :cool:

nyathi
19th Jun 2010, 08:18
Best time for Maun is from January till April every year.

Csanad007
20th Jun 2010, 08:59
nyathi: hiring goes between those two dates, but as far as I've seen the best time to arrive is November-December. You guys like to keep wannabes there for a couple of weeks before hiring. So you know that he/she will not flee in the middle of the training. Or am I wrong?

duncanidaho50
21st Jun 2010, 23:27
So from what everyone says, best time to go down there to try to be on the safe side, if there is one on going to Africa to find a job..lol Is from the begining of next year in advance till the summer and with money to stay for sometime.. Just wish i could just go in September and get the job strait away (not being very realistic am I?) lol

This are my conclusions thank you all iīll keep you update when I travel south.

MKA742
22nd Jun 2010, 13:28
We are still looking for guys.

Absolute must is 400 hours, timid personality (we freakin hate cowboys) and able pass a simple psychometric evaluation (yes, 2 guys failed it already!).

PM

duncanidaho50
23rd Jun 2010, 08:38
Hi MKA742 where exactly is this, you are still looking for people? I do have the profile you are looking for , just over 400 TT Thanks

Csanad007
23rd Jun 2010, 12:31
Scenic Air with offices in Windhoek and Swakopmund. But MKA might have better contacts to the cp (or you might wanna call this number +264 (61) 249268 and ask for Robert, the chief pilot).

soakingpilot
23rd Jun 2010, 13:51
How about cell phones in Namibia, Tanzania or Bots. Do you guys have em, use em recommend getting one for the job?

thanks.

Can someone also comment on the need to bring your own GPS or do most outfits already provide one or have them installed in the plane?

Thanks.

Csanad007
23rd Jun 2010, 19:59
Just bring a phone and buy a sim card here. Pretty cheap (2-3 bucks at least in Nam and Bots). And yes they are recommended as it'll usually be the piece through which you find out that you are hired.

Of the places and planes I know all have gps. So why carry it.

soakingpilot
24th Jun 2010, 20:36
I have already gotten an answer from Csand ( thanks mate ) about min time required in Namibia but if I could have some others to chime in please. What are we looking at really and also what other Pilot Qualifications ie character, knowledge etc are they looking for?

Thanks.

albatros19
1st Jul 2010, 23:47
Congrats Csanads on ur new job with Bush Bird!! :ok:

Csanad007
2nd Jul 2010, 22:23
THX for that!

JAMUP
4th Jul 2010, 16:46
MKA742

Good Day! are you flying for any Bushflying and Charters in Africa ? and are they still looking for any Low hour Pilots.?
Pls chek your PMs
Thanks

NamBoytjie
7th Jul 2010, 10:13
And the PC12's standing on the apron at Eros? Do they only fly corporate? What is the chances of getting in there with low time?

CCUaviator
19th Jul 2010, 15:22
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site. I have a Canadian CPL with 250 hrs. I have gone through all the posts on Maun and Windhoek. But am still a bit confused about the time to reach the continent.
What I figured is that in Nam the hiring season starts from July and in Bots January. Thats like 7 months..
I am planning to be there for 3 months. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to reach there so that I can cover both Bots and Nam ?

Thanks in advance
Cheers:ok:

Alexander87
20th Jul 2010, 12:35
MKA,your news sound great to me too!
I need to get in contact with the company over there!!!!!!

Please chech your PM!

Thanks!:ok:

Csanad007
20th Jul 2010, 17:23
it's been sorted out since then

ILS59
25th Jul 2010, 13:14
hey guys, As you guys have told in the previous posts that min requirement for both Botz and Nam is 250hrs... Do they stick to 250hrs requirement or can a pilot with fresh CPL of 210hrs or 220hrs TT with ME, IR can also apply.?

lilflyboy262
26th Jul 2010, 16:41
Usually minimum hours are insurance requirements, so no they aren't flexible. Haven't heard of anyone in botswana having minimum times. Only one was sefofane with 300, and they will hire you and just make you fly left seat with a senior pilot until you get to 300hrs.

Csanad007
26th Jul 2010, 17:49
In Nam it is a little bit different then in Bots. They usually want you over 300 (not just an insurance requirement - where insurance is a matter they mainly ask for 400!). Nam DCA will not validate or issue a CPL for foreigners under 300 TT. Also keep in mind that you need to have 5 NVFR PIC in order for the license validation.

duncanidaho50
27th Jul 2010, 00:48
Do you mean 4 vfr night flights? as a pic? thanks for the info.

soakingpilot
27th Jul 2010, 02:31
CSAND, thanks for the info man. I am coming to NAM in January and was already targeting 300+ but now will come with for sure.

Jeez thanks forum as well.

ILS59
27th Jul 2010, 09:07
Thanks lilflyboy and csanad:-) okay lets take 300 as min hours... What can a fresh pilot of 220TT do.? Is there no chance for a fresh pilot any where..? Or is there any way to build some hrs after CPL..? Atleast few hrs untill fresh pilot can be eligible..?

Csanad007
27th Jul 2010, 11:13
duncanidaho50: 5 hours NVFR PIC! not total!

ILS59: Botswana should be your target, with 220 you should be okay there. I think lilflyboy agrees with me.

ILS59
28th Jul 2010, 04:59
5 NVFR is the requirement for SACAA as well so it should not be a prob for S.A CPL holders.:)
Hmmm i'm happy that something will be available after cpl..! Thanks:) Csanad now that you are working in Nam please keep posting if anything opens up.. It ll be helpfull for us:) Thanks:) cheers...

Csanad007
28th Jul 2010, 18:38
Don't worry, and I'm always keeping the blog updated.

NinerThreeKilo
30th Jul 2010, 04:51
Any suggestions for someone with a FAA CPL, 1st class medical with instrument, float, glider, multi with a little over 400 hours, 200hrs Tailwheel, some time on a 207, 50hrs x-country IFR on a Seneca, plenty of night VFR and x-country, currently flying Callair A9s towing gliders in the desert. Fresh US passport,
Willing to live anywhere and move at a moments notice and I have no problem with a contract.

What would the job outlook for me look like in Bots if I head down mid December?

Thanks,

swaziboy
30th Jul 2010, 23:02
Hey guys, just wanted to know if the BN2's are seeing much flying in the delta?? Are there still many around?

Csanad007
31st Jul 2010, 15:49
Not that many. I've seen 2, Delta and Moremi have them.

lilflyboy262
31st Jul 2010, 15:50
There is only two companies operating their Islanders out of Maun now.
Moremi air used theirs quite often (A2-ZED) while Delta Air uses theirs occasionally (A2-AJA). Unfortunately my company parked theirs up at the start of last year (A2-TAU).

BDF use theirs all the time though ;)

swaziboy
1st Aug 2010, 08:39
Its a pity... great machine to fly, good for a first twin. Technology and economics are taking over!!

flyingscotsman86
1st Aug 2010, 12:31
So am I right in thinking that there is no specified minimum for most of the operators in Maun, other than Sefofane? I have 250 hours in total, but 78 hours of that is sim time. Do you think this would be enough? Also can somebody who has been there for a while tell us how many people have actually been hired this year and what you think the hiring prospects are for next year?

NinerThreeKilo
2nd Aug 2010, 23:03
So am I right in thinking that there is no specified minimum for most of the operators in Maun, other than Sefofane? I have 250 hours in total, but 78 hours of that is sim time. Do you think this would be enough? Also can somebody who has been there for a while tell us how many people have actually been hired this year and what you think the hiring prospects are for next year?

I have been looking for some more info as well, posted over in AVCOMM

AvCom • View topic - Can anyone shed some light!!! (http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65976&sid=10324ffa8922f5ad8746624a41b39d3c)

This thread mentioned the companies in Bots are looking for people with "around" 500hrs, meaning they like people with UNDER 500hrs!!

Then there is this thread
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/181160-flying-jobs-low-hour-pilots-africa.html

"....doesnt matter about how much time either. just do you have a licence. dont even need an IR"

Saying that if you have a bare CPL your OK in Bots (that was posted back in 05', I dont know if anything has changed in the reqs since then)

Seems like if you head down mid-December and are persistent you can get a job.

If anyone has more info then what I have gathered, I would really appreciate it, as,I have already booked my ticket for Dec 10th :cool:

Gmpo
18th Aug 2010, 13:42
Hello guys,

I have about 1000 TT in SEP and MEP I am planning to go down to Windhoek next January to look for a Job.I have sent out some Cv but I have not get any response.I donīt have any flight time in C-206.

Does anyone know if there is any chance to get hired with my profile?

Thankīs in advance

NinerThreeKilo
19th Aug 2010, 17:09
.. Ever think about Zambia?:)

Gmpo
19th Aug 2010, 19:56
Why there are more chances in Zambia than in Namibia with 1000 TT ?

If it is like this,I donīt mind one place or other .Which companies in Zambia do you recomend ? What about Malawi?

Thankīs for the info

lilflyboy262
20th Aug 2010, 15:26
Zambia has a 1000hr limit on ex-pat pilots, so there is a pretty big shortage of guys in Zambia. Check out proflight in zambia.
Or a google search should provide you with a lot of answers.
Same with Malawie. Except they want 500.

mcaffa80
17th Sep 2010, 20:36
My husband and I are thinking about heading to Namibia or Botswana in early 2011. The idea is to stay there for 1-2 years so he can bulk up his hours.

He's currently a pilot in the Argentine Army, has 750 TT, 250 ME, IR, CPL (from Argentina) and an FAA PPL. He flies Twin Otter and Merlin, his English is perfect.

Considering his profile, would he be able to get a good gig quickly? I'd hate to travel all the way out there from Argentina for nothing.

Thanks in advance.

scarrymike
17th Sep 2010, 21:16
I am not the guy to ask. I have not been there. I have read the blogs as you have/will.

Here are a few blogs that I have found useful. Also continue reading the threads on this post. ALL OF THEM!

http://****************.********.com/2010/02/pilot-meltdown-in-east-africa.html

http://maunpilot.********.com/

Both of these blogs have good links on them.

Also - a pilot in Namibia I have traded a few e mails with Csanad of the above Maun blog. He has been very kind and informative.

It sounds like you husband has a very good chance of landing an interesting pilot job!

Safe Flying and good luck to both of you!

Mike

NinerThreeKilo
18th Sep 2010, 02:25
My husband and I are thinking about heading to Namibia or Botswana in early 2011. The idea is to stay there for 1-2 years so he can bulk up his hours.

He's currently a pilot in the Argentine Army, has 750 TT, 250 ME, IR, CPL (from Argentina) and an FAA PPL. He flies Twin Otter and Merlin, his English is perfect.

Considering his profile, would he be able to get a good gig quickly? I'd hate to travel all the way out there from Argentina for nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Africa seems to be the place to build some hours, heading over myself this season, you and your husband should look into Nambia!

Meathead Pilot
18th Sep 2010, 06:33
Tanzania and kenya would be better options for your husband considering his twin otter experience.... Lots of twotters there.... Botswana and namibia are for newbies willing to work for peanuts and a glass of water...:}

Csanad007
18th Sep 2010, 08:05
Meathed is right. Tanzania might be a better choice for you! But well, if you're happy with peanuts and a cup of milk you might hit Nam and Bots as well :} Flying is fantastic everywhere around here.

mcaffa80
18th Sep 2010, 12:59
Thanks for the input, guys. We'll make sure to check into Tanzania and Kenya too. Are they just as safe as Namibia and Botswana? That's a concern of mine, as I'll probably be spending a lot of time on my own.

And one more question - how much can he expect to earn per month these days?

5Z4
19th Sep 2010, 18:59
:eek: Why do you refer Argentina people to Kenya ? Been there, seen it and absolutely NO chances for foreigners. forget it !
:=

Q2NM
20th Sep 2010, 21:14
I sure appreciate the input of you guys with experience!

Couple questions:

1. When you go over, do you pick one location and then wait there until you get a job or do you circulate amongst the locations (Maun, Swakopmund, Windhoek, etc...)? I understand the concept of bugging the employers at one location every day until they hire you. However; other than rolling the dice, I am unsure how to pick one of the locations to sit and wait.

2. When you get a cell phone in one of the above locations, does it work all across the continent (assuming signal coverage)?

Thx!

P.S. I should add that I am a Commerical SE/MEI am have 1250 TT and 1100 PIC. I am trying to figure out what location to try. I am very easy going and my only real goal is to fly and enjoy life.

Propellerpilot
20th Sep 2010, 22:45
Guys - you must always remember that there are no guarantees - the only way is to go there and try like everybody else.

I always recommend to go there and treat the whole thing as a vacation - take a look at the country and show some general interest, gain some local knowledge. If you do not get a job in the time you have set, then it is just tough I guess, but hey - it still was a cool vacation - go home and keep the good memory. If you land a job, well then: congratulations.

There are so many factors and variables that are important here and there is no general rule - you can be the best person in the world, but if they don't like your nose, you will not get in. If you don't speak the right language, you will not get in ETC ETC. With most operators in these areas, it is a gutt decision combined with your experience and qualifications - and everyone that rocks up there has a license...

If you depend on being successful too much, the chances of being very disappointed grow exponentially.

If the pay would not be as bad, I would actually opt to return, but without the possibility of feeding anybody else exept myself, it is not really an option...

Q2NM
20th Sep 2010, 23:31
PropellorPilot,

I must not be communicating very well.

I understand all that you said. I am not asking you to plan my trip. I am not looking for guarantees.

My questions remain. Sitting on this side of the pond, it seems reasonable to arrive there, get a local cell phone and then hit all three of the locations that I listed, staying 3-4 weeks in each spot. I would like someone with experience to clarify if this really is a reasonable approach.

Thx,

Propellerpilot
21st Sep 2010, 10:38
Q2NM - don't worry, I was not planning your trip in any way and I also did not adress you specifically in my post - it was just a general contribution to what others including you where asking.

Now to answer your questions personally:

1. What you do is go see each company personally one after the other - no point in staying there longer, better to move on i.e. if there is no demand or you get a negative response, there is no point in waiting. If they say they might have demand in 2 months time - tell them you will be back, then keep that in the back of your head and go to the next place. Then go back there after 2 months if you are still searching. Always try to make an initial appointment via phone if you can, always better than just rocking up there, when the man in charge has thousands of other things on his mind (it may even be good communicate your intention of visiting before you even travel, it will give you a feeling of the situation). So it is not about sitting and waiting - the only time you want to wait is if there is a positive chance i.e. when someone literally tells you to wait - but do other useful stuff while you are waiting. Bugging people is not the way to do it...

2. Signal coverage is avialiable in the vicinity of most towns cities , but not always out in the wild. While I was in Namibia, the MTC network rapidly expanded and many outback places suddenly had reception. I don't think you will have a problem there. I can't speak of other countries, but I never had a problem there with reception, exept when being located on some guest lodge far away from civilisation.

Q2NM
22nd Sep 2010, 16:07
Thanks PropellorPilot! That is very helpful information.

DaFly
24th Sep 2010, 05:13
@Q2NM

As a general rule regarding the cell phone issue: if you don't have residence, you won't get a contract. All you could get is a prepaid sim card. These cards usually don't work on roaming (=when in another country)

What you might want to do, when you get an 'we might have need for pilots in a few weeks time', explain to them, that you will go to another country and leave your e-mail address. There are enough internet shops in town, be it Maun, Swakopmund or Windhoek.
Since the hiring seasons differ from Bots to Nam, it is unlikely that you will miss out on a Bots job while having coffee with a Nam operator.
I am not sure about those seasons anymore, but you will find them posted here, if you page back a little or go to an older thread.

zoneout
24th Sep 2010, 08:04
MTC prepaid (Namibia) roams in South Africa no problem

Propellerpilot
24th Sep 2010, 11:24
MTC also works in Bots. So does Vodacom and MTN from S.A. work there and in Namibia Roaming just needs to be activated...

Otherwise prepaid cards cost about a dollar or two, so you might just want to get one in each country so that people can call you locally and vice versa.

lilflyboy262
26th Sep 2010, 12:57
Start off in Windhoek for a week to meet everyone.
Come to Maun in November/December/Janurary, if no luck then head back to Windhoek for Feburary/March/April. That should tie you in with the hiring seasons.

FYWH
26th Sep 2010, 17:41
You want good info about african flying and especially Namibia, check out Red Sky Ventures Aviation, very helpful and have written some dedicated articles and books about Namibia and aviation there. Well worth checking them out at redskyventures.org

Csanad007
26th Sep 2010, 19:59
Like Namibian Air Law? :rolleyes:

redskyventures
29th Sep 2010, 18:07
I can vouch personally the best and worst Namibian Air Law books are there...
Since they're the only ones - PPL, CPL, ATPL, ATC, and most importantly - Namibian runway directory forth edition with a major revamp - not mine, but looks so cool I wish it was.
(I didn't post this! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif )

Will also shortly upload the CATS on the site. Also some great Cessna 210 stuff there -
If you're going to Windhoek or Swakop - not sure if it's been said already or if I'm stating the obvious - but you need to know the C210!!!!

v6g
30th Sep 2010, 04:00
How much of a disadvantage is it in Namibia to not speak German?

Danke.

Propellerpilot
30th Sep 2010, 08:43
No disadvantage at all - hardly anyone speaks German there anymore exept a minority. German is however a plus to cater for the very frequent German tourists - nice to have but not essential.

Joker8
3rd Oct 2010, 22:31
Hey all.. so I have booked a ticket for Dec! and am just wondering if you really should bring a tent? :confused: or can you just buy all that stuff in maun as the 20KG limit is a bit of restriction, for me a least...

Cheers for any info...I am pretty sure all my many other questions have already been answered

soakingpilot
12th Oct 2010, 09:49
So from Lılflyboys post ıs ıt offıcıal that the tıme to vısıt bots and nam are "offıcıally" - ın quotes please note, Maun in November/December/Janurary, if no luck then head back to Windhoek for Feburary/March/April

thanks guys... let me know so ı can book a tıcket :oh:

Csanad007
12th Oct 2010, 16:58
It is absolutely right.

soakingpilot
12th Oct 2010, 18:56
sweet, thanks Csand agaın :ok: I guess ıll be late gettıng there ın December but you wın some you loose some.

lilflyboy262
16th Oct 2010, 18:23
Please dont quote me on that! Every year is different. This year looks like november/december is the time to hit bots. As for Nam, last year when I was looking, was told to come back in March. As for this year Im not sure.

Jason5
4th Nov 2010, 17:35
Hi all. Been reading the forum for a while and thought I'd finally introduce myself and start contributing to the convo.

I'm located in Chicago and have an FAA commercial license with MEL and instrument, and about 250 hours. Just sold all of my stuff and moved to a super cheap apartment to start saving some $$, but may not be able to make it out until Feb., which I suppose might be a bit late :( I also speak German, which sounds like it could help some in finding a position.

Anyway, looking forward to reading more and solidifying my plans.

The Ancient Geek
4th Nov 2010, 18:01
Maybe a better idea to wait until next year to built more experience and cash then arrive when the jobs are available.

Jason5
4th Nov 2010, 18:10
True. From what I've read, it sounds like I'd make it in time for Namibia, but better to wait I suppose and explore possibilities in Bots.

aviatormohit
8th Nov 2010, 16:51
Hello Everyone.

My name is Mohit Verma. I'm an Indian National.
my experience: 1300 TT, 230 Multi, 885 Dual Given
FAA CPL, CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, IGI, Gold Seal
looking forward to some bush flying experience.
do u think i can land up with a job there?

Jason5
8th Nov 2010, 19:42
I noticed this on Sefofane's profile in pilotcareercentre.com today:

2010 Update:

**Company no longer able to employ foreign pilots as it is unable to get Visas for foreigners.

I've seen some talk of this on PPRuNe, but no clear explanations. Are my dreams of flying in Africa dashed? Or is this just unique to Sefofane?

soakingpilot
8th Nov 2010, 22:04
Im not there yet but I'm guessing if this was the case it would be more than prevalent on the pprune africa forums.

lets hope for the best though

Csanad007
9th Nov 2010, 09:32
Then I guess Sefo is going to close the doors... Funny this Bots DCA.
But I think this info is there since last March when they've had the local pilots finishing their training in SA.

Dangriga
9th Nov 2010, 16:58
Hello every body!

I have just registered at pprune but i have been reading the threads refering to Bots and Namb hiring seasons for a while.

I am heading to Maun in January.

Does anybody know if down there the companies do ask for an ICAO level 4 English level?

THX

lilflyboy262
10th Nov 2010, 05:30
Dangriga, you need to be pretty fluent in english. ICAO 4 would be the minimum.

Cardinal Puff
10th Nov 2010, 09:32
I dont actually recall being asked for mine at any stage.

They say the memory is the first thing to go when you've been in Maun too long...:}

Dangriga
10th Nov 2010, 09:36
lilflyboy262: Thanks for that mate! Obviously I am supossed to speak fluent English and actually think I do. But what I mean is if they ask for the document itself. Mine expires in March...

lilflyboy262
10th Nov 2010, 10:00
I dont actually recall being asked for mine at any stage.

Alexander87
10th Nov 2010, 18:23
Hi folks!
I've got a tricky question for everybody..Do you know if a CPL SINGLE ENGINE is mandatory for bush companies to be hired,or just the MULTI ENGINE CPL is ok?

Hope someone could help me!
Thanks a lot!

Cheers

tu144
14th Nov 2010, 23:59
http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/433420-maun-botswana-essential-guide.html

In the thread above it says that pay in Botswana is about 9500 pula a month which comes out to about 1444 usd. Not 300 - 400 usd a month stated in this thread. So which one is correct?

lilflyboy262
15th Nov 2010, 13:50
Im pretty sure I know what my paycheck is.

tu144
16th Nov 2010, 05:20
So whats the right figures? Would like everyone to chime in....

Csanad007
16th Nov 2010, 10:48
in nam the base is around 6000 hard Namibian Denares. Some companies pay more, some less, but in that case you earn something after every hour you fly. from 120 to 250 or so. You will usually get along from this amount. If you only spend half on booze...

But if money is a motivating factor then forget about a job here.

tu144
16th Nov 2010, 19:59
LOL if money is a motivating factor one should forget about aviation period!
I just wanna figure out the finances.

krks
18th Nov 2010, 12:17
hi everyone... i am new here... but i have been reading all the posts.. my questions is being popped here but no one answered... i have a multi CPL license.. is that one ok to work in nam or bots? or should i have a single engine CPL? thanks

Propellerpilot
18th Nov 2010, 12:57
You will not be flying in a multi in any of these places with a fresh Com. So if you do not have a SEP endorsement how are you going to get that onto your validation ?

Usually you should have SEP/MEP endorsed on your license because I am sure that you flew SEP in your training and hour collecting as well ?

--Edit: Assuming you have a JAR license, you will have to make sure you have the SEP endorsement in your license because they seem to issue class- and typeratings separately. You can only validate the ones you have in the original license document.

---Edit2: ok dude I know your are very enthusiastic but please stop asking your questions in different threads at the same time and stick to one - it is unfair towards the guys trying to help you. After reading your other posts I read you are on a FAA license but the procedures for validation still are the same.

krks
18th Nov 2010, 13:46
hi propellerpilot, Im new on here and didnt know the threats are linked to each other.. sorry about it, and i'll stick to one only from now on.. thank you for the advise.
In my FAA license it says: Commercial pilot: Airplane multiengine land; instrument airplane.
Private privileges: Airplane single engine land.
In have done for private and instrument + building hours about 225hrs on single and for commercial 27 hrs in multi engine.
Thank you for the help, and sorry if i keep asking as im a newbie in the aviation and im very confused with all this.

Propellerpilot
18th Nov 2010, 14:01
No problem - the thing is the threads are not linked to each other so the information lands in different places.

So that answers your question - you will have to get a SEP endorsement on your commercial which boils down to a SEP CPL flight test with a FAA examiner.

5Z4
13th Dec 2010, 19:49
Only few serious people giving decent advise.

EG. The 1 who said
Expect to pay N$ 2500 for rent in Windhoek, a little less in Swakopmund

Certainly doesn't know what he's talking about. Swakop is way more expensive than WDH.

Csanad is right :
Companies are not keen on hiring non Namibians anymore. VISA is BIG problem !

read :

Work permits processing frustrates business sector (http://www.observer.com.na/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=448%3Awork-permits-processing-frustrates-business-sector&catid=2%3Abusiness)

Csanad007
14th Dec 2010, 12:22
5Z4: the sum is about right. Usually a couple of pilots will rent a bigger flat (2-3-4 bedrooms) and share the costs, so even in Swakop the sum of 2500 is right! This with water and electricity.

On "Companies are not keen on hiring non Namibians anymore. VISA is BIG problem!" I have to argue as well. Maybe the MHA does not issue work permits BUT THEY ISSUE WORK VISAS. This is a bit more fussy as you need to renew it every 3 months. But I did not have problems until now. And am not expecting to have problems. I might say it is "just the typical chest beating that goes on here" to quote a friend.